“Every site is the "best" site!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Desert
Somes Sound View Campground
“Every site is the "best" site!”
Reviewed 28 May 2012 via mobile

I recently camped here for 3 nights. It was ok. I submitted the email request for a site and specifically asked for a private walk in site. During a phone conversation I again spoke of a walk in site and that the site should be private. The site I recieved was in very close proximity of several other campers. I could see the sign for walk in sites. I had read there was a $10 charge for switching sites so did not change. I believe I was slightly taken advantage of. I'm pretty sure the walk in sites have no electricity and therefore cost way less. I did pay for a site with electricity but I did not require it or even use it once! I heard the woman at the desk telling multiple campers that they had the "best" site. She also tolde thos on the phone then when I arrived she said it was a new site. So watch your wallet and question all prices. I would get wood elsewhere it's over $5. Pretty expensive when you can find it off the campground for as low as $2. Quarry was pretty but you can only look at it.

• Stayed May 2012

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 6 November 2011

Stayed here last summer, had a good stay. Nice place to go, and Acadia national park was amazing.

• Stayed August 2011
1 Thank Llamaman24
Upper Marlboro, Maryland, United States
Reviewed 28 September 2011

After reading some of the reviews I thought about booking our 4 day stay elsewhere, but decided to go for it.

Amazing views at this campground. We stayed at the Anchor site which thanks to another review I went with. By far the best/biggest/most secluded site on the property with one of the best views.

Bath houses were very clean, though maybe because we went in late Sept, only one stall and shower were unlocked in each of the men's/women's. I did like the bathroom stall was it's own separate room, I like privacy.

The camp store is rather small with a few essentials, the hours are very limited though with 1 hr per day. Again, maybe this is due to the time of year.

The camp map is a bit misleading and after reading reviews I was prepared to walk up the hill to the bathhouse from the water. However, it's not really a hill, more like a winding small mountain, ok maybe exaggerating, but there were a few times I just drove up rather than trekking up. It was worth it though for the view/location/privacy.

There were hardly any other campers there which was great.

Camp is located maybe 3-4 miles from a convenience store and about 8 miles from a local hardware store which was great since I needed to ride out on a rainy morning to buy a tarp.

Pool while heated was not open for us, though we wouldn't have used it anyways.

Would absolutely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Mark S
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 7 September 2011

Had a platform site near the bathhouse which was close for convienience but wasn't great for privacy. In the shower I was able to shampoo & condition my long hair, plus take care of everything else nessasary with just one token but my husband wished it had lasted slightly longer. Our visit was unfortunatley short but we hope to come back again. Everyone we met was very nice and considerate

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Duece1623
Reviewed 28 August 2011

We called months in advance and asked for a private, wooded site to stay in our 27ft RV. They gave us the 'perfect' site. When we showed up, the sited were all really close together. We had to drive into someones site in order to park the RV in our site.

The map was very deciving. It made the sites look secluded when they were in fact, really close.

The fees were terrible. It cost $15.00 to use the dump station. EACH TIME! The showers were $1.00 for 5 minutes of hot water.

The view of the sound were very nice but you had to walk down a ways to get there. There is no parking at the beach. You can not even ride your bike down. This was a problem seeing as one person in our group has a back problem and was unable to walk down.

I do not believe we will be staying there again.

3 Thank Tricia L
Burlington, Vermont
Reviewed 27 August 2011

We stayed here ten years ago and absolutely loved it. Back then, there were no frills (no pool, no playground, the quarry was off limits), but those aren't the reasons we go camping. The campground itself is clean, but the sites are closer together than we remembered, possibly to pay for the obnoxiously huge house [the owners] have built in the middle of the campground heading down to the water. Although the bathrooms were spacious, they need to be clean/serviced more frequently (I still have an enormous bruise and muscle soreness from slipping and falling on the linoleum floor outside the shower--the towel-on-the-floor system they have for absorbing the water just doesn't work--it's a lawsuit waiting to happen). The worst part was the dependability of finding someone when you needed him/her. Their office hours are posted as 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m., but at least eight times someone from our group went to the office for help/information and found a note that someone would be back shortly (one time, may husband about ten minutes). Also, pool hours were posted as being 10:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. On our last day, we went to go swimming at 7:15 to find someone covering the pool who said the new hours close the pool at 7:00 p.m. When changing hours, they should go site-to-site and notify people, leaving a notice when people are away. The pool was also very cloudy, which means it needs chlorine. We do not base our entire trip on the campground where we stay, and we had an amazing trip because of all that Acadia has to offer. We fully intend to camp the island again. Unfortunately, we will not be repeat campers at SSVC.

2 Thank jen p
Casco, Maine
Reviewed 18 August 2011

We were scared to stay here. We booked the place and then read the reviews on trip advisor and were scared about facing the lady in charge of the place. However, she was extremely nice and very helpful. We stayed in one of the cabins...it was basically an oversize icehouse. It had bunk beds. The bunk beds were not traditional bunk beds, but built into the wall. It was hard for our daughter to get to the second bunk as there weren't any stairs, but we just lifted her up there. There were 2 outlets in the cabin and a window, but that's it. HOWEVER, we knew what we were paying for when we walked through the doors. Certainly, very rustic. When it started to pour out, we were very happy to have the cabin. For camping in a tent or pop up, I would definitely tour the campground first. Some sites appeared on top of each other, but some sites were AMAZING. There were some sites on the ocean front that were out of this world. In fact, we are thinking of booking one for next year. Just incredible views. The camp store didn't have much, but that's okay there are plenty of places within a short driving distance including a Shurfine store. There is a pool. The only thing we didn't like...the bathroom. Although the individual stalls appeared to be great for privacy they are obviously harder to keep clean. Not the cleanest bathrooms. We would stay there again but mostly for the amazing views.

3 Thank Jurassika
Best Western Acadia Park Inn
Asticou Inn
Asticou Inn
#1 of 2 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Somes Sound View Campground? Share your experiences!