“Somes Sound View Campground”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Desert
Somes Sound View Campground
Massachusetts
“Somes Sound View Campground”
Reviewed 13 August 2013

We spent a long weekend in a mini-Winnebago here. The camp was clean and quiet. The sites were large and well-spaced. The bathrooms were clean and the showers cost $1 for 5 minutes, a better deal than other places we've been. Water, electricity at our site, and a good view of Acadia. And because the area is dark, the night sky was truly spectacular. We're coming back again, we've already promised ourselves.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 12 August 2013

We recently spent 2 nights (not nearly long enough) at the Anchor site, right on the water. When I booked our reservation (2 months in advance, mind you) I requested a waterfront site. Of the two that were available, I asked for the more private site. Anchor is literally the very edge of the campground property, far from all but 2 sites (one next to us, one above on the tree-covered hillside), and is very intimate (save for the giant windows on the neighboring private home). The port-a-potty near us was the cleanest I have ever experienced at a campground. While I highly recommend Somes Sound View Campground, just don't rely on the teenage girls working the front desk for information about Acadia National Park (or much else, they were nice but didn't seem to care much). I also highly recommend the Anchor site for a more private experience, but be prepared for the $62 a night price tag, and the blinding sunrise! All I know is that we will definitely be returning.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Frederick, Maryland
Reviewed 10 August 2013

First, let me say that I planned our family trip last minute, so was happy to find a campground on the water with kayaks. I was impressed by how well the campgrounds are maintained. The tent sites are flat, there's water right at the site, and electric, too! There's also a heated pool my daughters swam in once, and it's in great condition. The bathrooms, including the showers, are very clean. There was also a porta-john close to our site that was the cleanest I've ever seen. And it was cleaned out the second day we were there! I kayaked with my daughters on the harbor and it was great. Our time was limited as we were trying to see as much of MDI as we could, so it was nice to be able to rent boats right there.
There were several things that weren't so great for me. The piece of land they have is not huge, so there are a lot - maybe 40-50 - sites crammed together quite close. It felt okay, but far from the privacy I look for when I camp at a campground. It's also on a steep hill, and our site was of course at the top of it. It was a relatively good site with a tad more privacy than others, but it was a steep walk back from the bathhouse or harbor, and behind us was a road that had (light) traffic on it starting around 5am.
I also think the $40 a night fee is steep. And the kayak rental should be offered for less than 1/2 day at a time. We got a tandem, $30, and a single, $25, and for $55 we had a great time. But they know most people are done after an hour or maybe 1 1/2. And I just rented a canoe and a kayak in New Hampshire for $10 and hour each. I'm just sayin'...
The kicker for me was buying coffee our last morning because I heard someone say they had it in the office and I didn't feel like making it at our site before packing up. Well, I thought $1.50 was too much especially since they didn't have cream or even a lid to put on my cup.
Oh yeah, and hot water in the showers is $1 for 5 minutes. And it runs out in 5 minutes max.
There's good and there's not so good. Most people seemed very happy with this campground, and it's run well enough to earn 4 stars from me. However, I won't choose it when camping in this area in the future.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Fremont, New Hampshire
Reviewed 9 August 2013

The campground itself was adequate. We pretty much slept there and ventured out during the day, so it fulfilled it's purpose. It does have a very nice waterfront area. However, we stayed in site #3 and would NOT recommend it. We had to pay extra for the "Water view", but that did not exist. We went in early August and the trees were filled with leaves. If the trees were barren, then I can see where you would have been able to see the water. Also, it is located right next to the pool. When we made our reservation, we asked about it's proximity and were told that you don't notice it that much. Well, let me tell you, you can't miss it. If we went back, I would definitely pick any other site.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2013

We enjoyed our week-long stay immensely. The staff is friendly, the bathhouse is better than most, the sites are well constructed and nicely situated with trees providing a modicum of privacy; most have electricity. Kayaks are available for rent on the property and there is a very nice heated pool. We will definitely be back!

• Stayed August 2013
Athol, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 August 2013

My family stayed at Somes Sound View Campground and we could not have been more pleased to spend a week there! The sites were clean and spacious, as were the grounds. The proximity to the sound and other areas of interest was perfect for exploring and being outdoors.

Room Tip: Site near the water are wonderful.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Berlin, Germany
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We went there twice: 2012 and 2013.

The good: it was one of the very few campgrounds in Acadia that still had spots available for last-minute campers like us during the 4th of July weekends.

The not-so-good: the camp-sites are very close to each other. That means that it can be very noisy at times and it is difficult to sleep through the night; especially if you have a couple of snorers on the campsites around you.

Cost and amenities: We paid about $40 each night. It seems on the higher side for a campsite. However, the campsites are well equipped with electricity outlets, water faucets, fire pits and picnic tables.

Campsites: We stayed on campsite 41 and 13. We had a better experience with campsite 13. It tends to be quieter; is closer to the main bath house and gets more sun. However, the huge fan generators from the bathhouse can be loud at times. In conclusion, both campsites did not make me feel like I am truly in nature and can chill out in peace.

I also walked by the campsites on the water front. They seem to be very popular and taken way ahead of time. It looks like the following campsites would be most desirable: Anchor, Castaway, and Wave.

Things to do:
We went to see the fireworks at the water front in Bar Harbor on 4th of July. We drove there early to secure a spot on the municipal parking lot. We then used the free shuttle bus service to get to Sand Beach. We hiked up the Beehive trail. it can be steep at times but the view is awesome.

We also rented bikes in SouthWest Harbor. It was about $35 a bike; I think. We went on a nice tour on the carriage road (prohibited to car traffic). We got pop overs at Jordan Pond and then went on to the Northern tip of the carriage road. We saw plenty of blueberries there; the first of the season. They were small but flavorful.

After returning the bikes we ate a big salad at Eat-a-Pita restaurant in Southwest Harbor. They serve good salad and refreshing lemonade. We also took a dip in Echo Lake. It was pure bliss with air temperatures as high as 95 F.

Room Tip: It seems like the following campsites are the best: Anchor, Castwaway, and Wave. We stayed at 41 and...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
#6 of 41 in Bar Harbor
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,206 reviews

Been to Somes Sound View Campground? Share your experiences!