“We love MDI!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Desert
Somes Sound View Campground
Rowley, Massachusetts
“We love MDI!”
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We found this campground by chance online. We only had a few days to spend in the area and we really wanted to stay right on the water and most campgrounds required a full week to reserve a water front sight. In my opinion we had the best site in the whole place. Research your site very carefully as many are very small and more like a parking lot than being in the woods. This place has some really great sites and then some not so great sites. Do not forget any of your basics as the camp store has a very small selection to choose from. They do have a great dock you can fish off of. Waking up to the smell of the ocean is priceless!

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank likelyladybug
Debbie40755, Owner at Somes Sound View Campground, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review. I am very glad you liked your site, it is a lovely one. You are correct some sites are smaller than others. It is a good idea to check out our map online, as that will show how large each site is. Our staff is very careful to book you into a site that will meet your needs. Campers do need to reserve their favorite sites well in advance as they go quickly.

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Swansea, Massachusetts
Reviewed 13 July 2014

I have been coming to Somes Sound for over 15 years, before the current owner owned it. Since the new owners have owned it they have overhauled the entire campground by putting in a pool, tearing down the old bath house and building a new one. I come every summer and will continue to do so. I love that it is away from Bar Harbor as when I am on a vacation getaway, I want to GET AWAY. Somes Sound allows me to do that.

I will say that 1 dollar for a 5 minute shower is the most expensive I have ever seen at a campground. Usually I pay a dollar for a 10 minute shower. The price of wood is steep as well. I do not buy my wood or ice here.

Suggestions: I would keep a staff member or two on site until quiet hours begin at 10pm. I would deliver wood to campsites on the golf cart for customers at no extra cost. I also camp at Dixon's Campground in Cape Neddick, Maine 3 to 4 times a year, they do this. It is very helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
NYC
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We stayed on the campground over the long weekend, and loved it! The staff was very friendly and helpful from the time we were booking our site through the checkout. All facilities were very clean, the team was all smiles, great suggestions on the area off the beaten path, and since our site was not booked the day we were leaving - no hassle late checkout. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank irchik77
Goffstown, New Hampshire
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We decided we wanted to rent cabins instead of pulling our travel trailer to spend a long weekend in beautiful Acadia. Our original choice in campground was not available so we decided to try out Somes Sound View Campground and rented the Barnacle and the Starfish. The first thing we notice it was not close enough for us to Bar Harbor or the park entrance. We checked into the office which was also the "camp store". You will not get much or nothing out of that store. I would also suggest buying wood and ice outside the campground as it was much cheaper! We also notice the terrain is very hilly with some steepness but had some really neat tent sites and a quarry. We arrived at our cabins. The cabins were very basic, bunks and double, a few hooks to hang your stuff and electrical outlets. The cabins were not swept but luckily there were brooms. The fireplace next to the Starfish was too close. Had to keep the windows shut so the smoke didn't fill the cabin. I wanted to keep the windows open because the cabin got very hot and stuffy. I would suggest bringing fans if the nights are hot and muggy. The cabins were overall ok. I would not stay in them again however. It would have been nice if some of the trees were trimmed so we could see a better view of the sound but because of the steepness in front, I suppose they needed the trees for stability of the bank. The "porta-potty" was down the hill by the water, not overly convenient. Also, we can usually walk to bath houses but this one we took the vehicle because it was sort of steep getting there. The bath house itself was ok, was not always on the clean side. On a positive note, the sound is pretty and the loons could be heard all through the night. The pool was decent but not enough chairs (I tried to stay on the positive). We saw a deer come through the grounds so that was nice. Overall, if we were to stay here again, we would bring our travel trailer so we had the amenities we needed.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank 4EvaOneL
Ridgefield, Connecticut
Reviewed 2 July 2014

Our family enjoyed tent camping at Somes Sound View. The campground provides well set up sites, enough privacy, and some key amenities to make the experience more comfortable. The access to a water tap and electrical outlet directly at the campsite, as well as access to a clean bath house with available showers ($1 per 5 min) was well appreciated. Being adjacent to the Sound was very nice.

Room Tip: Use the photos on the website to help decide on a reserved site that should fit your needs.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank FredsTravels2014
Reviewed 1 July 2014

We loved staying at Somes Sound View Campground. We stayed at the Wave site within a few feet of the sound. We loved watching the lobster boats and beautiful skies. We saw a bald eagle, two porpoises and a seal - all from our campsite. Having the dock nearby was also very special. We brought our kayaks and had fun touring the sound and the nearby freshwater ponds. The other campers were very respectful and the staff was outstanding. I would love to return!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This campground is set up for tent camping and blends all the comfort of car camping with the beautiful location usually only found trail camping. There are several sights right on the sound and with great views of the sound. Its located just outside of Acadia and is absolutely amazing. The showers here are hot and run $1 for 5 minutes with a token. While it is beautiful, its not the cheapest but well worth it - you are paying to be close to and experience nature. This is also not the place for your 40 foot RV. The roads are tight. They do offer some cabins as well. I will say that while waking up to the sunrise on the sound was amazing - It was a bit chilly in October. The only downside I have is that Acadia was closed and I think that caused management to "close" as well as they were not all that responsive - but this didn't end up affecting my stay at all. Amazing campground - This is not the KOA, this is as close to organized camping in a natural habitat as you can get.

Room Tip: Sunrise is a hard wood platform right on the Sound. while maybe not right there - the Anchor site of...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
Bar Harbor Grand Hotel
#6 of 41 in Bar Harbor
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,206 reviews

Been to Somes Sound View Campground? Share your experiences!