“What a great campground!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Desert
Mount Desert Campground
Reviewed 22 July 2013

This is one of the nicest campgrounds I've ever been to. The sites are quite private and wooded- some of them very private, especially the sites away from the water. Most of the tent sites have wooden tent platforms, which are great because they are level, smooth and drain water. The bathrooms are spotless and well-maintained, with flush toilets and hot water. $1.00 for a 5 minute shower, with an option to feed in more money at the beginning of the shower for 5 minute increments (bring quarters). The float dock is awesome! Even when you can't get a water-front site (EXTREMELY difficult in high season), you can walk to the dock in a matter of a few minutes where you can tie up your own kayak or canoe (one per campsite), or you can rent a kayak from the campground office in 4 hour intervals. We did this and took turns paddling around the top of the Somes Sound while the others swam and caught little crabs from the shallow ocean floor. The 10 pm quiet rule is enforced, and there were a lot of families peacefully camping. I've been to this campground twice and I've never seen a loud drunk party of people like I've encountered at some other campgrounds. We brought our bikes and the kids enjoyed biking around the campground while we puttered. I took a walk around the campground taking notes about which sites are particularly good, because I plan to come back over and over again!

Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tracy J

Reviewed 5 July 2013 via mobile

This is truly the prettiest campground I have ever stayed at. The grounds are beautifully maintained. The bathrooms are spotless. My husband and I stayed at site E-8. It is a walk-in site, which meant we had to walk all our gear into our site. It was a bit of a walk, but I actually loved the hike, as it was so pretty. And once you got to your site, which was a gorgeous setting, you had total privacy. They did provide a cart for you to load your gear into and push to your site. The wooden platforms are just the best idea ever. I did feel it unjust that you had to pay to shower, since you are paying a nice fee to stay there. There is no camp store, which was inconvenient, but there is a convenience store up the road, which we frequented often. Otherwise, there is nothing else close by. One bit of advice, bring your own TP!!

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Bun55
Owen C, Owner at Mount Desert Campground, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2013

Thank you for your kind and fair review. We'd like to address a couple of your sound concerns.

• No free hot showers- we think you'll find most campgrounds charge for showers. Beyond the monetary cost of providing hot water, the primary reason: we have to reasonably limit the length of a shower. It would be impractical to provide, say, 20 minute showers while avoiding fraying the nerves of those waiting to shower themselves.

• No general store- since the arrival of a large and truly comprehensive convenience store less than a mile from our campground, continuing to run our own store proved unfeasible. Therefore, we retained the most popular elements of our old Campstore- namely coffee, breakfast goods from assorted local bakeries, hand-dipped ice cream. and, of course, ice and firewood.

• Toilet paper- this is a hard one. Without painting any vivid pictures, cushiony multi-ply TP is brutal on septic systems. Our TP is one of the most widely used in public institutions in the U.S.- single ply and septic-friendly. Use a little more if you need to, but please refrain from bringing the thick stuff.

Thanks again and we hope to welcome you back in the future!

Reviewed 2 July 2013

I've been camping for several years and this has been my favorite campground so far. All of my experiences have been at State Parks in New York. This was my first time camping in a private campground. My family spent 8 nights tent camping in June 2013. My first impression was the beautiful setting! Each site is fairly private and has lots of trees. We traveled with two other couples and the owners accommodated us nicely by making sure we were neighboring in sites that adjoined well. Our tent is huge and will not fit on the standard tent platforms so they worked with us when we booked to find a good site that it will fit on and also would fit our brother's pop up well next door) It was very quiet at night so people kept well to the quiet by 10pm rules. The bathrooms were very nice! Although we had to pay for showers ($1 for 5 minutes; I always paid $2 so I could get 10 minutes though), the water was always hot. I really appreciated the little "Gathering Place" for coffee and pastries. It was supposed to be closed due to the off season but they must have opened up a week early. Yay for us! Our kids (age 5 and 6) LOVED crabbing down on the floating dock. They sold buckets and nets in the office for the crabbing. The only downside for us was the roads are not paved so our kids could not ride scooters and my little ones were not comfortable on their bikes with training wheels due to uneven road. Overall, we loved it at this campground. My only hope is that they reconsider and allow dogs during peak season as I hope to return in 2015 but later in the summer and I really want to come back here with my (soon to get) dog!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Gina S
Reviewed 24 June 2013

These are nicely spaced sites and each one has trees and a pleasing setting. Many tent sites have platforms. RV's over 20 feet are not allowed. Not fancy with the amenities (wi-fi, for example, is only in one building) but the privacy makes it worth it. A lot of sites are along the shore, and in the morning we saw seals chasing a school of fish. The bathrooms are clean and nicely designed. We will definitely come again.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Wynne K
Reviewed 20 June 2013

This was our second camping experience on Mount Desert island. Two years ago we had a lovely waterfront site at the Somes Sound campground and enjoyed the serenity and the views. This time we wanted to try another waterfront site and were very pleased with our choice. As it was the first week the campground was opened, we had our choice of several waterfront sites without a reservation. We chose site B4, a roomy site with a large platform for our tent, water and electric hook-up, and incredible views of Somes Sound. Camping in early season guaranteed us lots of privacy as there were maybe 10 campsites in the entire campground occupied, tops.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MargieOh
Reviewed 18 June 2013

This is our first trip to this campground and all expectations were met. We had an Oceanside site in the "C" section and were so pleased with wonderful view. Overall the campground is very clean, quiet and the owners are very pleasant. The bathrooms were very clean with hot water at the bathroom sinks. The showers are $1.00 for 5 minutes. This was a great "home base" for exploring Acadia National Park. If you are looking for tenting (or using a small camper) in a very natural setting, then this is the campground for you.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank cheryll k
Reviewed 17 February 2013 via mobile

We have stayed here the last 3 years. When first went up to Acadia we stayed at a couple different campgrounds the first 2 years. While driving around our 2nd year we went by Mt. Desert campground and stopped in, we are so glad we did! This is our favorite campground! It is right on Sommes sound. I haven't found too many campgrounds right on the water. This campground is very clean, well kept and the staff is great! We would highly recommend this campground to anyone camping in the area.

• Stayed: September 2012
#1 of 2 in Northeast Harbor
Colonel's Suites
Colonel's Suites
#1 of 3 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Mount Desert Campground? Share your experiences!