Mount Desert Campground
Kimball Terrace Inn(Northeast Harbor)
US$71
Lindenwood Inn(Southwest Harbor)
US$130
Hampton by Hilton Bar Harbor(Bar Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$130
Hampton.com
  • Breakfast included
Bar Harbor Motel(Bar Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$124
Acadia Inn(Bar Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$131
Asticou Inn(Northeast Harbor)
TripAdvisor
Wonder View Inn(Bar Harbor)
Edenbrook Motel(Bar Harbor)
Highbrook Motel(Bar Harbor)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsgathering placesomes soundquiet hourstent campinggreat campingcoffee and pastrieshot waterbring quarterslocal bakeriescould hear a pin dropcatching crabspay showersfree wifithis past summerflat surfacebath housefire pit
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 4 September 2013

My girlfriend and I were here for four or five days during the early part of Labor Day week. It was one of the best campground I've ever stayed at.
Our campsite was on a really pretty little cliff that looked out over Sommes Sound. We had a wooden platform for our tent, which came in extremely handy when it rained. No wet base of tent for us, thankfully!
The place was quiet and peaceful. Really, really comfortable. Kayaks were available for rental, which we took advantage of on our last full day there. The pricing was more than reasonable and the area is beautiful to check out, via kayak.
This is one of the few campgrounds I've been to that doesn't have it's own little general store for campers to pick up basic necessities, which is a bit of a pain sometimes when you have to wait for a bus to Bar Harbor, but we made due. The "Gathering Place" on side where one can get pastries and coffee in the morning was a very nice touch and great to have. The ladies who worked there were always kind and friendly.
Can I also say that I've never stayed at a campground that has such clean bathrooms? It was amazing. Mosquitos are an inevitability, but they were even sort of minimal in the bathrooms themselves. And I (thankfully) hardly ever saw spiders in there.
The only gripe I have about the bathrooms is the following: It costs you a buck for five minutes of hot water. On my first excursion to the shower, I put in two dollars for ten minutes' worth. In turn, I received zero minutes of hot water (possibly because my girlfriend was showering at the same time in the women's bathroom). This was a really annoying, obviously. Cold water on a cold night (cold water showers are free, incidentally). I made due though, because after a day of hiking up Penobscot mountain I was.. well.... stanky.
There is a free commuter bus that picks up and drops off at the campground which is just wonderful and a total life saver. If you don't have a car, it keeps you mobile and able to get around.
Apart from the one or two little gripes I had, I have nothing but good things to say about this place. It's fantastic and I'd definitely return. I'd like to thank the staff for a really nice stay.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank CaptainAwethume
Reviewed 4 September 2013 via mobile

My husband and I returned to Mt. Desert campground after a 8 year departure (we stayed at houses in bar harbor with other families for those years). We were greeted with smiles, and warmth even on a busy weekend. While I was telling one owner our excitement of returning...I overheard another camper saying the same thing to his wife "this is our happy place"
After 8 years, the same wonderful characteristics are still there. Platforms to camp on, many newly built, the gathering place, to get coffee and snacks, and read books. The campground has the cleanest bathrooms, and showers. Everyone is respectful. You can rent kayaks onsite at a reasonable cost and if you are lucky to get a watersite...you will see more stars and sunsets you can ever imagine. The campground does not have swings, movie nights, events and that is ok by us even though we have an 8 year old... it's a place to enjoy the beauty of Sommes sound, and located in the middle of the island so equally accessible to both sides of the island. We are excited to be able to share our love of camping with our son, at such a beautiful spot and we can tell we are not the only ones who feel this way!

• Stayed: September 2013
Reviewed 3 September 2013

This was a perfect location to spend a weekend close to Bar Harbor and the hiking we wanted to do. We upgrades to a "premium" spot which was nice because there were less people close to our site. I am one to get down and dirty but i have to say i LOVED that there were bathrooms and showers available. Also water spouts and electric posts for charging things!

Room Tip: upgrade to the premium site for a great view and more space from your neighbors
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 25 August 2013

The best thing about this place is how well the owners have a handle on keeping the campground quiet at night. Might sound funny, but at 10pm I could hear a pin drop like someone flipped an off switch. I felt a little guilty returning late one night after a full day at Acadia because I didn't want to create any noise.
Beside that, they have quite a variety of sites available. There are a few sites that look like they are close to the camp access roads or the intersection two and I probably wouldn't stay in those but the majority of sites are set back.
Get a waterfront if you can! Those are great. We were lucky enough to get one the first time. They are in high demand so book early.
If you're on Verizon, forget about cell phone service. That was fine with me but if you need to get access to service, you need to be up near the main entrance. Free WIFI at the "Meeting Place" which is where you can get coffee and ice.
We passed several other campgrounds that didn't seem as nice as this. Stay here. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Timothy L
Reviewed 24 August 2013 via mobile

This is my second time camping here, almost a year to the day after my first visit. Campground is very clean and very quiet. Located very close to Acadia, will definitely be going back to camp there. Lots of different types of sites to camp on. Bathrooms very clean. They are very strict about enforcing no large parties at sites and quiet time hours, which is great for campers in neighboring sites.

• Stayed: August 2013