“Heaven on Earth”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Mount Desert
Mount Desert Campground
Reviewed 16 August 2014

We just completed our 13th year at MDC. As always it was a magical week spent with our camp friends who are now like family. We started out there an unmarried couple & now married, with 2 children, it has became part of our family history & tradition. I've camped all over the country & there is no better campground then this one. It is a peaceful environment hugging the coast of Somes Sound. There is nothing touristy about it, just good people looking to unwind & relax amongst nature. Thank you again to the Craighead Family for maintaining this wonderful place for us all to make memories & carry on summer traditions. See you next year!!
Love,
Megan & Joe A13 :-)

• Stayed: August 2014
1  Thank Megan A

Reviewed 16 August 2014

Stayed here in August 2014 for 2 nights but I wish we had booked a longer stay! Very quiet, peaceful campground with just the right amount of amenities. Tent sites were a good size with enough privacy. We weren't able to book a waterfront site but if we go back, we definitely will! Although we didn't have a platform site, the ground was level enough that we didn't have any problems. Washrooms were basic but always clean and there were enough throughout the grounds that you never had to walk too far. My only complaint would be the cost of the showers - $1.00 for 5 mins seems a bit much.

The "Gathering Place" offers free wifi and snacks are available for purchase.

The campground was very quiet which was perfect for us - lots of families and couples. Acadia National Park is just a short drive away.

We hope to visit this campground again. Thanks for a great stay!

Room Tip: If available, I would recommend a waterfront/water view site.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 August 2014

Right in the heart of Mount Desert Island, we had a perfect spot to base our adventures for the week. The location cannot be beat: right on the Somes Sound, the only fjord on the East coast. Quiet sites, clean bathrooms, beautiful dock. Cozy "gathering place" for morning treats and ice cream in the evening was always abuzz with folks who needed a wifi fix. Lending library, kayaks and SUP for rent, and friendly staff.

Stayed in E2, on one of the quieter roads. Not a lot of through traffic, and nice private site close (but not too close) to the bathroom and water pump. Site had a tent platform that was big enough for two small tents. Nails and hammer provided to latch everything down. Apparently, trying to snag a waterfront site in the summer is next to impossible. That's ok. Would stay here again in our wooded site anyway.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 August 2014

Me, my husband and 9 year old daughter went camping here with my sister and her family. I have never tent camped so I was nervous about it. Turns out I had no reason to be The sites are beautiful and spacious here, not on top of one another. I loved how the bathrooms and showers were spotless and clean. Nice hot showers for $1.00. The kids had a blast biking around the grounds, I would definitely bring bikes for the kids! We rented kayaks and the kids caught so many crabs off the docks. This was one highlight of the trip. To top it off the bugs weren't bad, I guess the population was low this year. The front desk staff was friendly and pleasant to deal with. They pretty much leave you alone unless you need something. We went to the Gathering Place a couple times for WiFi, coffee and baked goodies in the morning, the sticky buns were delicious! Also, it gets very quiet around 9:00pm, not a partying crowd which we appreciated. Only downside (or upside) is there is no cell phone reception until you get 10 minutes away from the camp. Not that we planned to be on the phone during vacation, but I like to have accessibility in case of an emergency. We will be back for sure!

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank lovetravelMass
Reviewed 5 August 2014

This family run campground is beautiful. There are many types of sites to choose from, but what you won't find (thank goodness) is space for RVs! This campground specializes in tent camping with space for pop-ups and some small campers.

We prefer tent camping and love the large platforms available. Though there are many spaces (reserve early) on the water front, we like the other side of the campground in the woods. Care was obviously taken when creating the sites- you never feel like someone is on top of you....unless you are closer to the water where the sites are more packed, understandably.

The bathrooms are large and fully furnished. Showers have hot water, 50 cents for 5 minutes and you can add more if you like. The campground has a community space where they sell morning pastries and coffee. Ice and wood is also available.

They also have wifi from the community space. It does not extend far, so don't count on having it at your campsite. Cell service is sketchy on the island until you get closer to Bar Harbor.

The campground is right on the island so easy access to the Acadia National Park, Bar Harbor, Southwest Harbor, Northeast Harbor and more. There is bus service (LL Bean Sponsored) that stops at the campground- easy to use and free!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 August 2014

I've written great reviews on this campground before, and it hasn't changed. They added a small nature trail, which we didn't have time to try. One clarification on an earlier review; the location is in the middle of Mount Desert Island. It is not in Acadia. However, it is a very short drive to several park access points, which is another reason why this is such a good spot.

As the other reviews say, book as far in advance to get the spot you want (if someone hasn't reserved it first).

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Membermaine07
Reviewed 3 August 2014

I stayed here the first time I visited MDI but, unfortunately, the second time I went I was too last-minute to get a site here and had to stay elsewhere. That trip only convinced me that Mount Desert Campground is THE place to camp! The campsite here was lovely, wooded, and very spacious with a reasonable amount of separation from neighboring sites. You do have to pay for hot water at the showers, but the bathhouse was nice and clean the whole time I was there. At first glance, the prices do seem ridiculous (up to $59 to camp), but if you look around at campgrounds on the island that have real bathhouses, that's pretty normal, but some of the other campgrounds won't offer the same peaceful, scenic experience. You're right by the water and not far from many of the great outdoors attractions.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
#1 of 2 in Northeast Harbor
Colonel's Suites
Colonel's Suites
#1 of 3 in Northeast Harbor

Been to Mount Desert Campground? Share your experiences!