“Happy Animals”
Review of DEW Haven

DEW Haven
More attraction details
Owner description: Please visit our website for hours and pricing!
Augusta, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Happy Animals”
Reviewed 4 September 2013

So many animals of a wide variety including free-ranging ducks following you around, peacocks, alpacas, camels, lemurs, monkey-type-creatures, lions, tigers and bears....and more! Don't expect a formal atmosphere, or a fancy gift shop, but do expect to see dedicated staff who actually care about the animals and clean, well-cared-for animals.

It's family-run and they haven't quite gotten it together with signs, so unless you are an animal expert, consider doing one of their tours, which are twice a day (unless there's an animal emergency).

Maybe wear a little bug repellent, sneakers, comfortable clothes. It is mostly shaded, some sunny parts, and you walk on gravel/dirt. It is just a really nice walk through the woods with weird animals all around...

I was really surprised and happy to find such a thing just a 40 minute drive from home! It was a pleasant and fun Sunday afternoon. Kids LOVE this place! Stop in, have a tour, support this family's adventure!

Visited August 2013
5 Thank Cathylb

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“My family and I visit every August we love what you do.”
Reviewed 25 August 2013 via mobile

I am an animal lover and I have to admit I really do not like Zoo's but from the very first time 4 years ago I walked around your animal sanctuary I felt something different I wasn't sure what it was but I wasn't angry that these beautiful animals were here. This year I found out why. Bob you are amazing I learned so much about a lot of the animals that are at Dew's I also got to see these beautiful animals react to you their care taker they love and trust you. I still feel bad that these wonderful creatures need to be in cages but I am happy to see your love and devotion to each and everyone. I love the Camel, his noises, and even his drool. The Timber Wolfs always a bit shy but I always seem to get a peek, I love all the big cats but the Tigers are my love and the hyena still creeps me out . Bob I know you don't remember me or my family but you were very kind to us and answered some questions my son had. You also asked him if he would be afraid to enter a pen with a 700 pound tiger his answer was quick .Yes! I think if you had asked me I would have said No but if you asked if I would be afraid of being in a pen with the hyena I would say YES! After the demo with the deer leg I don't think I could be calm enough even after seeing how gentle he seemed with you. You and your wife are wonderful people. Thank you for doing what you do. See you next August :) Annmarie, Paul, Michael, & Skyler from MA.

Visited August 2013
4 Thank AnnmariePaul
Prospect, Connecticut
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Best day trip of my life”
Reviewed 22 August 2013

Traveled from ct to this zoo.It was so worth it,AMAZING is all I can say.This is a family run business that amazes me because the owners have such a personal relationship with each animal I was in awe of this.They must have so much work,stress and expense but you would never know it they were so nice and informative and you could see the love they have for all of their animals. We were lucky enough to join a tour and I love tigers the owner somehow saw this at the tigers home and actually let me have a closer look at the cage where he interacted so lovingly with the tiger and she loved him.He even allowed a photo of me in front of her cage.These people go above and beyond to make sure you have a wonderful experience and I certainly did!! I wish more people were so dedicated to animals the world would be a much nicer place.Thankyou to them for all of their hard work and thankyou for sharing this wonderful place!

Visited September 2012
2 Thank elizabeth t
Wiscasset, Maine, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Nancy 75”
Reviewed 18 July 2013

We took our 3 yr old grandson there today. He loved it!! We got a tour with the owner. The animals truly responded to her when we approached the cages. They truly love her. This couple is so dedicated to help out animals in need. Too bad more people weren't understanding!!! Thank you for sharing this sanctuary with us! We thoroughly had a great time! My grandson wants to go back again tomorrow!! Thanks again for all you do for the animals!!!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Nancy E
Augusta, Maine
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Not impressed one bit”
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I only give 3 stars because they do have some beautiful animals, but the place was horrible looking. Some of the animals in small cages, flies in bowls filled with food. I understand that might be hard to fix, but my god put the bowls in the enclosures that we can't see. The lady owner was there and NEVER ONCE smiled at people. She seemed like she could care less she had people there. The lady at the counter was VERY NICE, but the owner who sat behind her scowled and would not smile even after I did TWICE. I really feel bad for these animals, they should be in a zoo were people can properly take care of them. I will also add that NOBODY was around to ask questions.

Visited July 2013
11 Thank Tonneau2013
DEWKeepers, Manager at DEW Haven, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
We would just like to thank you for taking the time to give us this feedback. We would like to explain the jars full of flies. Those are our fly catchers. This keeps the flies off of the animals. The flies go into the jar and can't get out, keeping our animals happier :) we are very sorry if there was not a person to ask this question to.

Also, our animal enclosures are all at least twice the size of USDA regulation sizes. We are also a family owned organization who work from dawn until dusk to keep our animals happy and safe. Our founders are normally very talkative and receive praise for their hard work and dedication to the animals. We do tours where the founders take people around and tell you every animals story and answer all questions at 11 am and 2 pm (as long as an animal need doesn't come up because the animal needs always come first).

We are very sorry you did not enjoy your trip and appreciate you giving us this feedback!