“Reasonable Accommodations”
Review of Gosnold Arms Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Harbor
Gosnold Arms Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 New Harbor B&B and Inns
Round Lake, New York
“Reasonable Accommodations”
Reviewed 13 September 2011

First - there is no cell phone service. They know this, but do not tell you in advance so *I* will tell you.

Second – there are no irons. Bring one if you are going to a formal party, like a wedding!

Third – toiletries are sparse. There are three little bars of soap in the room but you are on your own for shampoo, conditioner, all the rest.

Fourth – pretty much no one in Maine seems to take American Express! Good thing I packed my Visa to settle the other half of my bill.

With that out of the way; unfortunately, the service complaints are justified. The girls that work there are quite nice but not local [Ukraine and Thailand] and English is their second [or third or fourth] language. One of the customers had difficulty asking for sweet and low, which was right on the table, and asking for any sort of recommendation for anything local is right out the window. I was made very uncomfortable when I went to return my room key a little early [7:30 instead of 8:00] and I heard one of the owners shouting at someone behind a closed door. His complaint was that she had done something for a guest and he wanted her to “just say no.” I can’t be much more specific than that.

I stayed in one of the cottages [Pine] with my wife and a friend. I’m not sure what we were expecting but the terms “rustic” and “sparse” immediately come to mind. When we opened the door, it smelled kind of like the inside of a camper so we immediately opened all the windows to air the place out. All in all, it wasn’t too bad. The beds were good enough for a two night stay. There was a small living room area and a deck for us and some friends to hang out on. There is also a small stove and refrigerator, which we didn’t use. Really, if you think of it more as “camping” than “hoteling” it’s quite comfortable and makes for decent accommodations. I should also mention that the place was clean and generally well kept with the exception of some wood rot in the bathroom near the shower.

There is a living room area at the main house with free wi-fi. There are also a couple of board games [Scrabble, Chess, maybe checkers?] and a good selection of books and magazines for your use. Breakfast is also served from 8-9 am in the main house. It’s pretty simple; eggs, pancakes, bacon, ceral, coffee, and juices, but does the trick for no charge.

I like the location, directly across the street from the ocean. There is also a deck owned by the property over the ocean. It’s a great place to sit and watch the fishing boats come in and drop off their catch at Shaw’s Fish and Lobster Wharf – a convenient place to go for dinner two buildings away from the Gosnold.

Overall, I thought the place was alright and would give it a second chance. I don’t spend enough time with the owners to let their attitudes ruin my trip. Just don’t expect a whole lot and I think you could be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: Based on my observations, I think you get the most value by staying in one of their cottages. "...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank y498yates

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Santiago, Chile
Reviewed 7 September 2011

A very rustical Hotel in a paradisiac place, good located to travel through the area.
Can not recomend it since the owners are not nice people. They are in bad mood , not polite , and do not understand their business of been nice and polite with their guests.
The atenton is bad.
They can clearly disturb you on your vacation due to their lack of understanding whats going on in your vacation.
The breakfast is from 8 to 9... Closing time clearly not appropiate for vacation.
Nobody can give you advises about what to visit and what to do in that fantastic area, and you can not belive that they have lived there all their lives.
I recomend not to take the chance to ruin you vacation because of the bad class of the owners.
The rooms are in the 3rd floor and nobody will help you taking up your luggage.(non elevator available)

Room Tip: rooms are in the 3rd floor, nobody helps you with taking your luggage up, of coarse non elevators av...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
Miami, Florida
Reviewed 4 September 2011

Although the Inn is rustic, one would expect warm service. Not only are the owners not knowledgeable about what to do and see in the area, ownership hinged on just being plain rude. too bad as the setting is great. suggest other alternatives in the area.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with friends
4 Thank DavidMiami999
Boston, MA
Reviewed 28 July 2011

In full disclosure, I have a special place in my heart for the Gosnold Arms - I went there throughout my childhood and now frequent it with my husband. The inn is located on a fairly quiet road along a lovely cove (one of the locations that "Message in a Bottle" was filmed). The location is, by far, the inn greatest selling point. The rooms in the inn are average motel rooms - nothing fancy but very adequate and clean. The rooms that start with 1 are actually on the second floor and can be loud as people going to the third floor (room numbers startign with 2) pass by on their ways up. The cottages are fun to stay in - particularly the ones right on the water. The inn has a dock with some tables great for having a drink (BYO) or playing cards. Also located on the cove is a great clam shack, Shaw's, which is a favorite of mine. The staff are friendly but unobtrusive. The breakfast is not going to knock your socks off but is fine for a quick bowl of cereal or pancakes. My one complaint about this inn is the beds. They are small (usually doubles) and of poor quality. If you are looking for luxurious accomodations, than this isn't the place for you. If you are looking for basic accomodations with a great locations, than this is your place.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank TeamKitty
Providence, Rhode Island
Reviewed 27 July 2011

This was our 2nd time here, and was going to give it a very good, until I read some of the other reviews and it motivated me to up it to "Excellent". Really, I am actually really surprised by the negative reviews. Both times we've been, we've had a really nice visit. The rooms have been very clean and neat, the staff was friendly and helpful. Yes the TVs are small and dated but we weren't there to watch TV, I love to read on vacation, so it didn't really bother me (but I also grew up with parents who looked for hotels without TVs in the rooms when we were young!) We took the Hardy Boat to the island one day and you have to be there early, its basically across the street, so the location is perfect for that.
The view are beautiful, and the sea breezes at night with a little touch of pine are just what we love. I like it rustic and the pine walls is Maine, and other places I have stayed in Maine (a couple of cottage rentals) have very similar decor.
I actually can't speak about the breakfast, we didn't go, instead we headed to the Cupboard each a.m., its fabulous- a must go for breakfast. But again, I generally don't eat hotel breakfast (one exception was in Copenhagen, the breakfast was amazing, homemade fresh breads, cheeses, delicious yogurts) But included breakfasts- they are usually simple and not what I want to eat- so I can't vouch for that.
All in all, we like it there, and would go again. Its probably not for everyone, no flat screens, no marble bath, but if that's not what your expecting, and know you'll get simple, traditional Maine, its great. As I said I initially came to do very good- because honestly not many should get Excellent, but we really liked it and want that to come thru on the rating,

Room Tip: Ask for harbor views
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank malamy
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a friend's wedding. Unfortunately, our flight was cancelled due to summer weather and we were unable to make it on Friday night. The hotel would not give us any break on the $160 we spent on a room that night, which was a bummer, but perhaps understandable.

When we arrived, though, I was glad we only had to spend one night in the place. $160 PER NIGHT for a small room with no working wireless, old musty furniture, no TV, no water pressure, and no A/C (it was 85 degrees in our room all night) is highway robbery. These guys are giving Maine a bad name with this kind of pricing and this poor level of accommodation.

The interior is run down, and not in a "charming" old-fashioned kind of way. I wanted to spend as little time in the Inn as possible. If you want other options nearby, other weddings guests were at the Bradley Inn down the street and the Brannon Bunker a bit farther north.

It's worth your time to find another option. Also, I've attached a photo of the huge spider in the shower that greeted us.

Room Tip: Stay elsewhere
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank 81821
Belfast, Maine
Reviewed 19 June 2011

The Gosnold Arms served the purpose of being near the Hardy Boat to Monhegan Island. The staff was friendly and they allow you to leave your car in their lot during your day trip to the Island.
The Inn was built in 1932 and was never intended to be a luxury hotel. The bathrooms were clean and the windows had good screens so they could stay open at night. The mattresses were about the same as sleeping on the floor except that the floor would not have swayed and bounced when you moved.
The breakfast and coffee were pretty marginal with nothing really fresh.
With a little effort and some hospitality know-how it could be a nice place. I would recommend changing the mattresses first. Then hire someone who could cook a nice breakfast for the guests. Fresh juice or at Tropicana quality would be welcome. Good coffee and decent cereal or granola would be helpful.
It would make a huge difference. I hope they will give it a try. They seem like such nice people.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
#1 of 13 in Boothbay Harbor
Newcastle Inn
Newcastle Inn
#1 of 4 in Newcastle

Been to Gosnold Arms Inn? Share your experiences!