“Not fancy, just the real Maine coast”
Review of Gosnold Arms Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in New Harbor
Gosnold Arms Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 New Harbor B&B and Inns
Blue Hill, Maine
“Not fancy, just the real Maine coast”
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We rented the Wharf Room, which is a 2 room suite in a separate building overhanging the harbor. Very simple, very clean and as close to the harbor as you can get without getting wet.
But be aware, this is a working boat harbor, and the lobstermen fire their boats up at about 4 AM, so if that's going to bother you, probably back further from the water would be better for you.

Breakfast in the morning is basic buffett. Simple but good. Scrambled eggs, pancakes, juices, bacon--the works. No froo froo designer stuff. A Maine coast breakfast.

Room Tip: The Wharf room has the best view, but you are intimately involved with the harbor and the lobster bo...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Capnbob67

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Reviewed 21 July 2013

We were extremely disappointed in the Gosnold Arms, and wish we'd read other reviews on TripAdvisor before booking it. We stayed in 6 other places in Maine and this was by far the worst. And it was one of the most expensive, which is just outrageous. We stayed in one of the cottages on the hill, with children. The room was smelly and musty and very bare bones. "Rustic" is not the right word: primitive or utterly charmless might be better. I'm not sure if it's the inn's fault, but my wife had a spider crawl across her face twice during the night. This sort of thing is expected if you're camping but not for the prices they are asking. The staff has trouble communicating in English and is not warm and welcoming: absolutely no customer service. The breakfast is tired and unappetizing -- very greasy pancakes, cafeteria-quality scrambled eggs, etc. The hot cereal was quaker oats packages and the water for it was luke warm, and there was an ant in the brown sugar bowl. We really wished we'd gone somewhere else and paid for an actual breakfast. The whole place is insanely OVERPRICED for what you get. It's especially frustrating, because the setting is wonderful -- the harbor is gorgeous, and the surrounding area is terrific. Just stay somewhere -- anywhere -- else.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
9 Thank Andrew E

Travellers are raving about these New Harbor hotels

pa
Reviewed 16 July 2013

I stayed in the whorf porch and it was beautiful inside the room and it came with a porch with an AWSOME and beautiful view. If there wasn't so much to do n look at around there I would of loved to just stay on the porch and admire the view. The only downside was you could only get wifi at the main building and cell service in the area is also not so good. The breakfast buffet that is included is good but they serve the same thing everyday. I was hoping for a little change of food day to day. You have to try the pancakes they were very good. The staff was very helpful and polite. I can't wait to go back!!

• Stayed July 2013
Arlington Heights, Illinois
Reviewed 8 July 2013

My husband and I stayed here for two nights for a friend's wedding nearby. The website and brochure make the Gosnold look nicer than it is. We were expecting a quaint, clean cottage. Instead, we got a somewhat dumpy cottage, with uncomfortable bedding, and an ancient bathroom. I understand it's a B&B, and not meant to be a 5-star place, but it was definitely much more run-down than we expected. The girl who checked us in wasn't very pleasant, either. That said, we did have a beautiful time in Maine overall, and the surrounding area is lovely. We did enjoy sitting on the patio and having a beer before dinner, and having no cell service was actually a blessing! We just probably wouldn't pick the Gosnold again, if we were to go back.

(For the record, we stayed in the Creel Cottage.)

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Phnom Penh, Cambodia
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Looking at the hotel from the outside, I thought it would be okay and forgot to ask whether I could see the rooms... That is a mistake I will not make again...

We stayed in the main building and our room looked like an old YMCA that needed a financial injection quickly. The contrast between the room and the bay outside could not have been bigger.
Having said that; water and TV both worked and the bed was reasonable. And the two owners were friendly to us. We have to be positive here!

But really, I would have been willing to pay not more than 45 USD for this. I think the pictures speak for themselves. We paid 100 USD for the room, off-season! If we would have the same wooden shed at the front of the Inn we would have paid 150 USD for all this authenticity and character... We laughed it off.

Concluding; wonderful little bay, breakfast very sub-par for this price, rooms that are not even worth half the price asked. Reasonably friendly people though, milking out this place!
Stay somewhere else if you can; purely on the value for money aspect.

Room Tip: Go somewhere else if you want a good room. Value for money wise, not worth staying. Park the car at...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dennis_Bours
Helena, Alabama
Reviewed 29 July 2012

My daughter, grandson and I stayed there July 20 and 21, checking out on the 22nd. What a wonderful place!! We stayed in "CREEL" cabin and were very happy with it; it was clean, comfortable, and either newly decorated or newly built. I had a twin bed and would hope that the mattress gets changed at some point because it felt as though there were a hump in the middle of the bed. It was minor but nevertheless should be mentioned. Breakfast was included but one of the best parts to me was the view of the open ocean from our cabin, plus we could see part of the harbor. The owners and staff were great people and very tuned into the needs of the guests. Gosnold Arms is right across the road from Shaw's Wharf and Restaurant where you could literally see your dinner being unloaded off a lobster boat and be eating it 30 minutes later. Hardy Boat Cruises was also located on the same wharf as Shaw Wharf, so we took two tours, the seal watch and the puffin watch. I won a cruise anywhere Hardy Boat Cruises goes, so next time I'm up there I may go to Monhegan Island or take the lighthouse cruise. All in all, I'd stay there any time I'm up in Maine. it gets 5 stars in not only my book, but that of my daughter and 12 year old grandson. It was on the expensive side but to me it was well worth the money spent. Will add photos at a later time. For now, kudos to Gosnold Arms Inn and Cottages!! THANKS SO MUCH!!!

Room Tip: You can't go wrong staying here....
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed 20 July 2012

Great location, but the whole property is old and musty.Owners need to start to clean it up and spend some money or sell it. It appeared that ownership is bleeding the property.The buffet breakfast is dull.Greasy blueberry pancakes,dry scrambled eggs and what appears to be microwaved bacon that is paper thin nd hardly cooked.There are nicer places to stay in the area

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
#5 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
Fisherman's Wharf Inn
Fisherman's Wharf Inn
#6 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Gosnold Arms Inn? Share your experiences!