“Overrated place. Nasty staff.”

Newagen Seaside Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Newagen
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The large gap between the flimsy room door and the floor insured that we heard everything that went in the hallway and the lobby. The flimsy walls transmitted the sound from the next room. Our room itself was pleasant enough but undistinguished. It wouldn't have taken much to make it nicer.

Worst was the staff. And I live in Maine so it's not that I'm not used to Mainers. My daughter stumbled on an uneven walkway just outside the main door while rolling our suitcase out to the car. She limped back inside, clearly bruised, bleeding slightly, in pain and shaken up -- she had gone sprawling on a brick walkway. I helped her sit down in a wing chair immediately opposite the reception desk. The woman behind the desk was totally uninterested and, when I asked her if she had some water, replied that there was water available for sale. Nice.

We were also overcharged. The posted rates in our room showed a maximum charge of $225 but we were charged $255. The bill shows it as a "group rate." Aren't group rates supposed to be lower, not higher? And according to Maine law, maximum means maximum. When I inquired about that at the front desk I was met with a shrug.

There are lots of lovely places to stay on the Maine coast that actually welcome and take care of their guests. This isn't one of them.

Room Tip: Go someplace else.
3  Thank anonymous096
JasonSchlosser, General Manager at Newagen Seaside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2012

Dear Anonymous096 ,

Thank you for your comments. It is our goal to provide great service and comfortable, classic lodging to all our guests at Newagen. I sincerely apologize that your daughter hurt herself and please note that we do offer complimentary water, tea and coffee all day, every day to our guests and visitors. You must have misunderstood our front desk clerk. Please note that we have corrected posted rates in your guest room and sent you a check for the difference. We pride our self on hospitality like most Maine properties do and we do hope to have the opportunity to be of service again.

Best regards,
Jason

Reviewed 25 August 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Newagen Inn for several nights last year and are very excited about returning in a couple of weeks. We absolutely love this place which is nestled just outside of Boothbay Harbor. It has all the charm and beauty that you would expect of a top shelf New England Inn. The restraunt serves up some fantastic gourmet meals and the breakfast buffet is beyond words since it offers a wide variety with some nice side touches such as fresh blueberry sauce for your pancakes. The service is outstanding and anything we asked for we received. We are so excited to return this year since the Newagen Inn is in a constant state of upgrades and improvements so each year offers bigger and better things. We can't wait to see what they have in store for us this year. The activities such as story tellers around the fire pit at niight is again just part of so many extras they offer I could go on but will have to do that in a few weeks. Talk with you then.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2012

I must first say that I have not stayed at this Inn, nor would I after my experience with their lack of service. I only wanted to surprise my brother and sister-in-law with a bottle of champagne on their anniversary while they were staying at the Inn. Two weeks before their planned arrival I started with a phone call to the desk asking how much it would cost. The desk person had no information available to her to be able to answer my question. I then sent an email asking for prices and was informed that I should call the Inn. I have now called five times and have not gotten the information I requested over a week ago. I was told Friday, August 10, that Jessica would get back to me the next day, Saturday. She did not. I called on Sunday and left a message for Lynn after being assured by the desk person that Lynn would call me Monday. She did not. Today, Monday, I left a rather terse message asking again for a return call. A very polite employee, Raye, returned my call, but did not have the information I needed. She suggested I give her my credit card information and the Inn would charge me an unknown amount for the champagne. Obviously, I declined.
I have done this before at other hotels and the information was readily available to the desk clerk. I am very disappointed and quite frankly, amazed at the apathy of their customer service. It is disgraceful. I had read other reviews of poor customer service at this Inn and could not imagine staying there. I cannot begin to say how upsetting this experience was. My brother and sister-in-law are absolutely the best and deserved a nice surprise for their twentyfifth anniversary. I hope they have better service during their stay than I had trying to make their stay a little happier.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Anita C
MaineSchloss, Manager at Newagen Seaside Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

Dear Anita,

Thank you for your comments. It is our goal to provide memorable service to all and many have commented very positively on their experience at Newagen. An anniversary is an important occasion and we appreciate the opportunity to provide a special request to your brother and sister-in-law. As you requested, our staff delivered the champagne on time and also included complimentary chocolate covered strawberries. We hope that in the future, we may have the opportunity to be of service to you. Please feel free to e-mail me directly at Jason@newageninn.com, if I can be of service or if you have any questions.

Jason Schlosser

Reviewed 11 August 2012

We stayed here on a summer getaway and enjoyed the place in spite of mediocre weather. It is a little quirky, but quite comfortable. There seems to be some concern that the surrounding development will impinge on the atmosphere and ocean views, but the setting is excellent. The restaurant is very good. The rooms are spartan, but the surrounding lounging areas such as the Adirondack chairs on the porch, the lobby and lounge all provide comfortable places to relax.

Room Tip: Pay attention to the information on the web site when selecting a room.
3  Thank NoVaWahoo
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Better food services and new boat for guests to use would make this little historic hotel gem absolutely perfect. My wife and I rarely go to the same vacation hotel more than once, except for the Newagen. We bring our two young children and an 85-year gentleman, so we pretty much cover the life-span. I was impressed again this year by how well the staff accommodated us and other groups with children, adults, and elders. The Polar Plunge (staff led jump into the icy ocean water at 7 AM on Thursdays) is our family's favorite activity. As a regular business traveler, I could have experienced the rooms are either tired or vintage. After the first day it was clearly the latter, in large part to the immaculate cleanliness of our room. The staff are exceptional staring with the inn keeper Jason, staff members Rae and Jeremy, and housekeepers who I cannot remember by name. Each one of them made us feel like we were at home, and could not have been nicer or more accommodating. Our children loved the pool, the recreation room with bowing ally, and the grounds. Would we go back? Definitely.

2  Thank P121
Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I spent two nights at the Inn useing a groupon coupon. We were very pleased with the accommodations and even were given a choice of rooms. Everyone was very friendly and helpful. The whole experience with all they had to offer in the way of food and things to do has put this on our list of places to visit again. On the second night we along with othet guests sat around their firepit while a local author gave us all a history of the whoopie pie. The Inn supplied marshmallows, chocolate bars and graham crackers in order to make smores if we were so inclined. They have a heated swimmming pool, an out building that has in it two bowling alleys, a pool table and a number of video game machines which of course require quarters to play. A great place for a vacation with the kids if you have them.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank lrp81
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Poor service meant that our stay was not as pleasant as we expected. The bar staff and dining room staff were definitely trying, but they were completely overloaded. There were service issues every night we were there, but one night in particular was a disaster. A single person was simultaneously behind the bar, taking dinner orders, serving the food and trying to resolve the many mistakes. End result was a roomful of unhappy customers, joking with other tables as to who would get served first, and whether we'd need to start helping out in the kitchen ourselves to eat that night. Our table got the correct dishes on the third attempt, with very long delays after each problem. Quality of the dinner food was actually pretty good when it arrived.

Management at the front desk seemed at best disinterested, and at worst, flat out rude.

Rooms were OK - as others have said, a little tired, but no real problems. Breakfast was a pretty standard, unimaginative self-service buffet. Inn lobby area looks and feels like you've gone back in time.

The grounds are much less expansive that they first appear, as they are surrounded by private houses. We got a warning on check-in about how we weren't allowed to walk on the private property around the inn.

Water views were excellent (this is Maine after all!). All day fresh coffee is nice. We didn't use the pool, so I can't comment on it, but there was lots of grumbling from other guests about it being closed frequently.

Can't see myself returning unless there's an complete overhaul in customer service...

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank activityexit
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newagen
Ocean Gate Resort
#1 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor
Linekin Bay Resort
Linekin Bay Resort
#10 of 12 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Newagen Seaside Inn? Share your experiences!