Newcastle Inn
Flagship Inn(Boothbay Harbor)(Great Value!)
US$112
Mid-Town Motel(Boothbay Harbor)
TripAdvisor
No availability for your dates from our partners
Linekin Bay Resort(Boothbay Harbor)
Topside Inn(Boothbay Harbor)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Beach Cove Waterfront Inn(Boothbay Harbor)
Tugboat Inn(Boothbay Harbor)
No availability for your dates from our partners
Brown's Wharf Inn(Boothbay Harbor)
No availability for your dates from our partners
All reviewsdamariscotta riverjigsaw puzzleb bmid coast mainecookiesnew englandquiet roaddelicious breakfastwarmer monthsscreened porchquiet settingowls headfrench toastold housesitting areawonderful visiteasy access
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 17 June 2012

We have been coming to this area for many years, but this was our first stay at the Newcastle Inn. We were delighted with our stay, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The room was spotlessly clean, very comfortable, and attractively furnished. For a late evening snack there was a selection of excellent teas (also coffee, but we are not coffee drinkers) and homemade cookies. The breakfast was outstanding -- fresh strawberries with a drop of yogurt, scrambled eggs made with fresh herbs, chicken sausage, and the most deliciously light, homemade blueberry muffins. It was a lovely day, so breakfast was served on the deck overlooking the peaceful Damariscotta River. What a wonderful way to start a vacation day!

Room Tip: We were on the groud floor and our room did not have a view. I expect there are other rooms that look out at the river or the garden. We did not feel at a disadvantage, however, as there are many public rooms where we could sit and enjoy a view. We didn't need it while we slept.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mamabetz
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear mamabetz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impression of your recent stay at Newcastle Inn.

I'm glad that it was a beautiful morning when you were here so that you could enjoy breakfast outside on the deck overlooking the gardens and the Damariscotta River. I agree, it is a great way to start the day. The blueberry muffin recipe is a definite keeper and I'm happy to share the recipe.

Yes, there are rooms that are at the back of the inn that overlook the gardens and the river in the distance. Next visit you will have to try one of those!

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

The Inn is beautifully decorated with a lovely atmosphere!! The rooms are beautiful!! Breakfast is excellent, if you get a chance to try the French toast, you wont regret the stay!!! If you catch a sunny day, just sit in the back yard!! The only thing that tops everything else is the Innkeeper Julie! She is just gorgeous, together with her beautiful dog Dolce!!!
Julie thank you for these great days!
Hope to come back soon!
Kristina

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kristinavajs
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dear Kristina,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Newcastle Inn. The French Toast is a very popular breakfast here at the inn. If you would like the recipe let me know.

Dolce is missing her playmate, so come back and visit soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Just re-visited the Newcastle Inn for a girlfriends getaway -- having not been there for almost two years -- and it just keeps getting better. This little corner of Maine is "real Maine" -- like a step back in time -- not as commercial as southern Maine. Julie (our fabulous Innkeeper) has redone more of the rooms and they are lovely. I feel like I'm at an elegant Maine "cottage" with all the best touches. Breakfasts are great and mmmmm...those chocolate chip cookies! The gardens are gorgeous, the deck is so great for reading and my room, Seal Island, has been redone since the website picture was taken, and is adorable -- light and airy, TV and WiFi were great. I couldn't wait to retire at the end of the day and curl up with my book as I drifted off to sleep. If you'll be in this part of Maine, be sure to spend a couple of nights at this classic country Inn and if you are travelling for business it's a perfect respite from work at the end of your day. Definitely worth a special trip to this Inn and Damariscotta.

Room Tip: No elevator, but the third floor rooms are worth the stairs!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank tennisluv

Dear tennisluv,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience as a Newcastle Inn guest. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay in the Seal Island room. Pretty soon the new pictures will be up on the website.

The chocolate chip cookies are wonderful and the recipe is yours if you would like it!

Reviewed 8 June 2012

My husband and I stayed one Saturday night at the Newcastle Inn in early June. This is a Select Registry Inn. It is a large, older building, but seemed well maintained. There are views of a river at the back of the house, with a pleasant deck there. Some of the room floors creak, and the Inn sits close to a road, so bedrooms at the front of the house do hear traffic sounds. On the night we stayed, the road was relatively quiet because of the weekend. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. There is a wonderful dog there, who is very well behaved. Breakfasts were fine, and there is a nice supply of cookies, water, coffee, etc., for guests, near the dining area. The room that we rented had just been redone in a light pastel color that suited the coastal area. Other rooms and hallways in the building are darker. Our bathroom lacked an exhaust fan, and the window seemed stuck shut. Overall, a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms are in the quieter part of the house to avoid traffic sounds.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonnaC037
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear DonnaC037,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impression of Newcastle Inn after your recent visit.

I'm sorry that the bathroom window was sticking the night of your stay. The 2nd floor windows are all brand new, and therefore freshly painted. With all of the humidity and rain things have been sticking a bit, but all windows do open.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the "sea glass" color in your room. As guest rooms are being re-decorated, a brighter, fresher color palate is being used to reflect the location of the inn on Maine's MidCoast.

Like you, I wish that the bathroom had an exhaust fan, but we haven't been able to figure out how to get one in there that will do the job and meet the building codes for clearances. The electrician and I continue to have conversations about it and are working to come up with a solution.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding Dolce, the inn dog. I have worked very hard to have a well-behaved, obedient dog and appreciate your recognizing that.

I hope to welcome you back to Newcastle Inn the next time you visit MidCoast Maine.

Regards,
Julie

Reviewed 9 May 2012

I recently stayed at the Newcastle Inn in April and May and loved the accommodations and the great breakfasts. I've been staying at the Newcastle Inn for several years and always look forward to my return stays. It's wonderful to anticipate the clean, comfortable, and beautiful rooms and the courtesy and friendliness of Julie, the innkeeper. I particularly enjoy its quiet location along the river and its easy access to the lovely town of Damariscotta and the Pemaquid and Boothbay peninsulas. Before I discovered this inn, I had stayed at B&B's in Boothbay Harbor and Camden and was turned off by the noise and busy atmosphere of those locations. It was hard to relax after a long day of doing tourist stuff. But there's never any problem relaxing at the Newcastle Inn so I will be returning for many years to come.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
4  Thank DianeManchester_MA
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your recent visits to Newcastle Inn. I am happy to hear that Newcastle Inn is able to provide the relaxing place that you need after a busy day of activities.
Yes, it is a quieter, slower pace here in Newcastle/Damariscotta, but there is plenty to see and do, as you have discovered!

Thank you again!