“Not Worth the Money”
Review of Newcastle Inn

Newcastle Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 13 August 2012

My husband and I were not very pleased with our overpriced room at the Newcastle Inn. Julie, the owner, was very nice but the room we chose was not worth the $262 fee/night.
The room smelled very moldly, the floor needed to be refinished and the entrance to the room needed some paint. The cars zooming past the inn all day were very noisy and made leaving the inn very difficult.

Breakfast was served from 8-9 even on Sunday. Most B&B's give guests at least a two hour time limit. All tables in the dining hold 2-4 people limiting conversation between guests. One thing we always enjoy is meeting people from all over the country and this was limited with the table configuration. The food served was just average, not the gourmet food served by the previous owners.
There are many other places to stay in this area for much less money. I would not choose this place again and would not recommend it.

Room Tip: Find another inn, not worth the money.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank roberta12
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Dear roberta12,

All feedback I receive regarding Newcastle Inn is always welcomed. It is my sincere desire that every guest of the inn enjoys their time here. As you will remember, I gave you a tour of the Inn as well as reviewed all our guidelines to assure you would have a pleasant stay. The one point I always emphasize is that I am available 24 hours a day. If I am not at the inn then my answering service always knows how to reach me. Everyone is made aware that if you have any concerns to contact me. I wish that you had let me know when your stay became less than you expected. I would have been happy to move you to a different room, or work with you in some other way so that you had an enjoyable visit.

The breakfast that is served at Newcastle Inn is a combination of old favorites and with the addition of a chef this summer, some new breakfast items. We have been receiving good response to our new offerings. In the summer, breakfast is served at tables of four, outside on the deck, which offers a beautiful view of the Damariscotta River. We encourage guests to mix with others, but respect those who wish to wake up at their own pace by sitting at a table for two.

Again, I am sorry your experience was not what you had expected but I am most sorry I was not given the opportunity while you were here to make it a more pleasant stay.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

My wife and I arrived at the Newcastle Inn on June 30, 2012 for three nights in the middle of a three week driving vacation. We had just spent a week at a less than ideal rented cottage on Mount Desert Island, and we were ready for a clean and comfortable room. Julie Bolthuis, the Innkeeper met us on arrival with a smile and a very warm welcome. She introduced us to her dog, Dolce, and let us choose our degree of engagement with the sweet dog. Julie let us know that most of the Inn was booked on our first night with a wedding party, and she asked them to be quiet after 10 pm and for us to call her if there was any disturbance. Talk about keeping guests informed ahead of time about what might be a problem! We were impressed and felt at once that Julie really cared that our stay be comforable and enjoyable.
While we did hear the wedding guests arrive after their wedding reception, since our room was at the head of one stairway, we were not at all disturbed, and appreciated Julie's advance warning.
The inn is clean, well-maintained, and has plenty of beautiful places to sit, read and relax. The garden was in bloom, but our favorite spot to relax was the screened porch.
Our room had windows facing River Road, but we were never disturbed by cars or trucks. The decor of the room was beautiful, and the space clean and functional. The Kohler plumbing was top of the line and made us feel right at home.
Newcastle is in a perfect location to get around mid-coast Maine. We were able to eat pie at Moody's Diner on Route 1 and seafood at the Anchor Inn on Round Pond. Reds in Wiscasset is a short hop away, along with Sarah's Cafe. We went on a harbor cruise from Boothbay Harbor which is just a few minutes from the inn. Damariscotta is a short walk from the Inn, and we had a great meal at the Damariscotta River Grill.
Breakfasts were different at Newcastle Inn every day, and each one was tasty. Julie seemed to be on site all the time, working hard, engaging with us and other guests, and trying to do everything she could to make our stay as good as it could be. My only regret is that I should have eaten another cookie!
Anyone looking for a cheerful place to stay at a convenient location in mid-coast Maine should consider Newcastle Inn.

Room Tip: There are photos of the rooms online. Call Julie and she will help you pick a room that will meet yo...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Teadrinker60302
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 July 2012

Dear Teadrinker60302,

Thank you for your feedback and comments regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed yourselves at the inn (the screen porch is my favorite room) and while visiting the many different sights in this very special part of Maine.

I don't know what cookies were in the cookie jar when you were here, but I share all of my recipes, so let me know if you would like that one so you can enjoy them at home!

Thank you again!

Reviewed 13 July 2012

My husband and I just enjoyed 3 nights at The Newcastle Inn. Julie the Innkeeper was everything I expected after chatting with her on the telephone prior to our visit, Julie was so accommodating and she knew how picky I was about the room etc., and let me choose a room when we arrived as she wasn't fully booked. The Inn was warm and inviting and Jacques and I thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The location was ideal for the touring around we wanted to do and Julie helped immensely in directing us to places of interest, places to dine etc. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and with a nice bathroom. The breakfast was tasty and appetizing and did not overface us. We are not big breakfast eaters. We felt very much at home at the Inn, especially as Julie's dog Dolce, became quite a friend. We will return, sooner rather than later.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank louitexas
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2012

Dear louitexas,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review about your recent stay at Newcastle Inn. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed the room. It is the most popular guest room at the inn.

I look forward to welcoming you back to the inn at some point in the future.

Thank you again!
Julie

Reviewed 17 June 2012

We have been coming to this area for many years, but this was our first stay at the Newcastle Inn. We were delighted with our stay, and would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone. The room was spotlessly clean, very comfortable, and attractively furnished. For a late evening snack there was a selection of excellent teas (also coffee, but we are not coffee drinkers) and homemade cookies. The breakfast was outstanding -- fresh strawberries with a drop of yogurt, scrambled eggs made with fresh herbs, chicken sausage, and the most deliciously light, homemade blueberry muffins. It was a lovely day, so breakfast was served on the deck overlooking the peaceful Damariscotta River. What a wonderful way to start a vacation day!

Room Tip: We were on the groud floor and our room did not have a view. I expect there are other rooms that lo...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mamabetz
Management response:Responded 22 June 2012

Dear mamabetz,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impression of your recent stay at Newcastle Inn.

I'm glad that it was a beautiful morning when you were here so that you could enjoy breakfast outside on the deck overlooking the gardens and the Damariscotta River. I agree, it is a great way to start the day. The blueberry muffin recipe is a definite keeper and I'm happy to share the recipe.

Yes, there are rooms that are at the back of the inn that overlook the gardens and the river in the distance. Next visit you will have to try one of those!

Thank you again for your thoughts.

Reviewed 16 June 2012

The Inn is beautifully decorated with a lovely atmosphere!! The rooms are beautiful!! Breakfast is excellent, if you get a chance to try the French toast, you wont regret the stay!!! If you catch a sunny day, just sit in the back yard!! The only thing that tops everything else is the Innkeeper Julie! She is just gorgeous, together with her beautiful dog Dolce!!!
Julie thank you for these great days!
Hope to come back soon!
Kristina

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank kristinavajs
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 20 June 2012

Dear Kristina,

I'm so glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay at Newcastle Inn. The French Toast is a very popular breakfast here at the inn. If you would like the recipe let me know.

Dolce is missing her playmate, so come back and visit soon.

Regards,

Reviewed 15 June 2012

Just re-visited the Newcastle Inn for a girlfriends getaway -- having not been there for almost two years -- and it just keeps getting better. This little corner of Maine is "real Maine" -- like a step back in time -- not as commercial as southern Maine. Julie (our fabulous Innkeeper) has redone more of the rooms and they are lovely. I feel like I'm at an elegant Maine "cottage" with all the best touches. Breakfasts are great and mmmmm...those chocolate chip cookies! The gardens are gorgeous, the deck is so great for reading and my room, Seal Island, has been redone since the website picture was taken, and is adorable -- light and airy, TV and WiFi were great. I couldn't wait to retire at the end of the day and curl up with my book as I drifted off to sleep. If you'll be in this part of Maine, be sure to spend a couple of nights at this classic country Inn and if you are travelling for business it's a perfect respite from work at the end of your day. Definitely worth a special trip to this Inn and Damariscotta.

Room Tip: No elevator, but the third floor rooms are worth the stairs!!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank tennisluv

Dear tennisluv,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts about your experience as a Newcastle Inn guest. I'm glad that you enjoyed your stay in the Seal Island room. Pretty soon the new pictures will be up on the website.

The chocolate chip cookies are wonderful and the recipe is yours if you would like it!

Reviewed 8 June 2012

My husband and I stayed one Saturday night at the Newcastle Inn in early June. This is a Select Registry Inn. It is a large, older building, but seemed well maintained. There are views of a river at the back of the house, with a pleasant deck there. Some of the room floors creak, and the Inn sits close to a road, so bedrooms at the front of the house do hear traffic sounds. On the night we stayed, the road was relatively quiet because of the weekend. The bed was comfortable with plenty of pillows. There is a wonderful dog there, who is very well behaved. Breakfasts were fine, and there is a nice supply of cookies, water, coffee, etc., for guests, near the dining area. The room that we rented had just been redone in a light pastel color that suited the coastal area. Other rooms and hallways in the building are darker. Our bathroom lacked an exhaust fan, and the window seemed stuck shut. Overall, a good stay.

Room Tip: Ask which rooms are in the quieter part of the house to avoid traffic sounds.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DonnaC037
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2012

Dear DonnaC037,

Thank you for taking the time to share your impression of Newcastle Inn after your recent visit.

I'm sorry that the bathroom window was sticking the night of your stay. The 2nd floor windows are all brand new, and therefore freshly painted. With all of the humidity and rain things have been sticking a bit, but all windows do open.

I'm glad that you enjoyed the "sea glass" color in your room. As guest rooms are being re-decorated, a brighter, fresher color palate is being used to reflect the location of the inn on Maine's MidCoast.

Like you, I wish that the bathroom had an exhaust fan, but we haven't been able to figure out how to get one in there that will do the job and meet the building codes for clearances. The electrician and I continue to have conversations about it and are working to come up with a solution.

Thank you for your positive comments regarding Dolce, the inn dog. I have worked very hard to have a well-behaved, obedient dog and appreciate your recognizing that.

I hope to welcome you back to Newcastle Inn the next time you visit MidCoast Maine.

Regards,
Julie

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Flagship Inn
#2 of 4 in Wiscasset
Russell House B&B
Russell House B&B
#4 of 15 in Boothbay Harbor

Been to Newcastle Inn? Share your experiences!