“Quintessential Maine with a personal touch.”
Review of Newcastle Inn

Newcastle Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Newcastle B&B and Inns
“Quintessential Maine with a personal touch.”
Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Julie makes everyone feel like they are visiting family. Her interest in all of her guests does not go unnoticed. Dolce the resident pooch is a joy to be around too. The inn has the warmth of an old home but lacks no modern amenity. Don't miss Julies breakfast or here baked goodies she is a master.

• Stayed December 2013
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Robert M.,

Thank you for your review of your time at Newcastle Inn. It is my desire that all guests are
comfortable, and if it feels like family then that is even better! Dolce, the resident dog, loves to meet and mingle with the guests (if they want to) and is happiest when she is curled up next to someone on the couch. I'm glad that you enjoyed the breakfasts and the cookie jar!

I look forward to your return.

Sincerely
Julie Bolthuis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
Grantham, New Hampshire
Reviewed 5 January 2014

Having not been to this part of Maine before, we selected Newcastle Inn based on some friends recommendations and great online reviews. When it came time for our trip in December we ended up traveling during some rough winter weather. But, that didn't take away from the great experience of staying at this inn. Innkeeper Julie is a wonderful host, helped us navigate some travel decisions before arriving, and made our stay fabulous! The inn itself was beautifully decorated for Christmastime, the room was very comfortable, and the breakfasts that were prepared for us were simply delicious. I would certainly return to this inn again in the future!

• Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, 15 January 2014
Dear Gerald V.,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn. Yes, there has certainly been some snowy weather so far this winter! I'm glad that you were able to make it here and enjoy the area.

I hope that you are able to return at another time, when perhaps the weather is a little more cooperative!

Alexandria, Va
Reviewed 30 December 2013

There are other places to stay in the area, but we keep going back to the Newcastle Inn. The location is great, the rooms are attractive and very comfortable, and the hospitality is as good as it gets. (Special shout out to Dolce, a very sweet dog.) We've been there a couple of times when we had some downtime and the common areas of the inn have been really nice places to hang out.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, 6 January 2014
Dear CindyAlexandriaVA,

Thank you for your review. I am pleased to hear that you enjoy your time at the inn and have chosen to stay here when you are in the area.

Dolce loves being with the guests, but I know that there are some guests who don't want her around and so then she is kept confined. But, for those dog lovers out there she is more than willing to be your friend while you stay at Newcastle Inn.

Fort Worth, Texas
Reviewed 24 November 2013

This chilly November day has afforded me a rare opportunity to slow down and to catch up on some much overdue personal business. I’ve been remiss in posting a well deserved review of our September stay at Julie Bolthuis’ Newcastle Inn. The Boot of Obligation caught up with our necks quite literally upon return descent at our hometown airport. In retrospect this delayed review has reinforced that not a week has gone by since our time in Maine that we haven’t remarked at how wonderfully generous and accommodating our experience there was.
Our first visit to Damariscotta-Newcastle was made complete via our welcoming and comfortable accommodations at the Newcastle Inn. This well located and charming Inn offers a variety of well-appointed rooms that include a gourmet breakfast. We had the pleasure of staying in the Matinicus Rock suite for a week. No TV in this particular suite (but great Wi-Fi when we weren’t stuck in a dreadful iOS update…) offered us a needed respite from the daily drone of media. Recently redecorated in softly modern gray and white with touches of spice, Matinicus Rock is a lovely and bright upstairs room towards the back of the Carriage House with a nice view of the Damariscotta River. Comfortable Queen bed and an updated bathroom with shower (no tub) offer all of the essentials needed for a cozy stay. Additional linens and towels, and other added amenities, are available upon request as Julie and her staff work very hard at making their guests happy.
Gourmet breakfasts were a wonderful start to our every day. Each morning began with delicious coffee and fresh fruit, either cold or hot and with a dollop of crème fraiche and granola. Homemade whole grain waffles or breakfast taquitos to follow were plenty to tide us over into our very late lobster lunches. We did observe how very accommodating the Newcastle Inn is to demanding special dietary requests. A generous snack and coffee bar ensure that you have access to Julie’s wonderful hospitality 24 hours a day. (Her biscuit jar is always full of something freshly baked and delightful. On our visit we enjoyed homemade chocolate chip cookies and fresh baked blueberry bars.)
Julie is quite helpful with information about the area and with suggestions for sightseeing and for dining options. Sunday is a day of very heavy turnover at any bed and breakfast or inn so do your innkeeper a favor and try to keep this in mind. Resident inn mascot, Dolce, a beautiful and extremely well behaved Tervuren, adds to the warmth and hospitality of this inn. Don’t hesitate to plan a visit soon to the Newcastle Inn in picturesque midcoast Maine. While not quite Brigadoon, Damariscotta-Newcastle is a charming destination seemingly insulated from the chaos of the world. Warmly generous people and the Newcastle Inn is the perfect home base for exploring this treasure of a place. We look forward to our return visit.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, 15 December 2013
Dear Nnyhagen,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts regarding your September stay at Newcastle Inn. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit to this part of Maine. You experienced for yourselves the special charm of this area that can't be found anywhere else.

The Matinicus Rock room was a big hit this past season with the fresh update that it received last winter. It is a nice spacious room, with great views of the gardens and wooded area behind the inn. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay there.

Thank you again for being my guests and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Regards,
Reviewed 26 September 2013

My husband I have stayed here twice and just love it! Julie is so sweet and keeps a very clean and welcomeing inn. Feels very much like a home away from home.

After a very nice, relaxing, night of sleep, we had a great breakfast and staff is very sweet.
Julie recommended a park just down the road for a late morning hike and it was wonderful. Views were so beautiful and the hike was just right to get us worked up for more lobster for lunch.

Thanks again Julie! Jeff and I hope to see you next year!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Dear Staci A,

Thank you for being my guests at Newcastle Inn and for taking the time to share your thoughts on your stay. Dodge Point, where you took your walk, is a very special place and I'm glad that you had an opportunity to experience when you were here. The trail that follows the river is spectacular.

Thank you again and I look forward to welcoming you back again in 2014.

Vero Beach, Florida
Reviewed 17 August 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. Julie is a wonderful hostess and inn keeper. The inn is quaint, clean and an extremely relaxing stay. We had never been to this area of the country before, but we will definitely return!

Room Tip: I'd recommend choosing a room at the back of the inn. Since the windows are open, the street no...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, 22 August 2013
Dear Margo Louise,

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay at Newcastle Inn. The variety of common areas at the inn provide several options for sitting and relaxing.

This part of MidCoast Maine is very special and there is certainly lots to see and do in the area. I look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle Inn when you return to the area to do further exploring!

Rocchester, MA
Reviewed 8 August 2013

I stayed at The Newcastle Inn for one night while I was on my way to Bar Harbor. I was very happy with my choice. Julie warmly greeted me and cheerfully showed me around. I immediately felt welcome and comfortable. It was especially important to me to feel safe since I was traveling alone. Not only did I feel safe, but after seeing my pretty room I knew I was in for a special treat. The room was immaculate and the bed was beautifully appointed with crisp cotton sheets, lots of comfy pillows, and a very pretty coverlet. I slept like a little princess.
Breakfast on the sunny deck was scrumptious ~ fruit juice, fresh fruit, scrambled eggs, sausage and two slices of delicious homemade bread. I hope to return to the inn next summer. I highly recommend The Newcastle Inn.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank Kathy M
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this review, 15 August 2013
Dear Kathy M,

I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Newcastle Inn and that you felt safe and comfortable while here. Breakfast outside on the deck is a special treat and I'm glad that you were able to experience that. It is a great way to start the day!

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn.

Julie Bolthuis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Flagship Inn
Sheepscot Harbour Village Resort & Spa
Five Gables Inn
Five Gables Inn
#2 of 3 in East Boothbay

Been to Newcastle Inn? Share your experiences!