“Lovely Inn”
Review of Newcastle Inn

Newcastle Inn
Ranked #1 of 4 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 18 June 2014

This inn is in a lovely spot by the river. Julie is very welcoming, with Dolce of course. The common areas are very comfortable and our room on the third floor was extremely spacious, even had it's own sitting area. Breakfasts were very enjoyable. Good restaurants close by, King Eider was recommended and was excellent. All in all a great stay.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sharon J
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Sharon J,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Newcastle Inn. I'm pleased to hear that you enjoyed your room on the third floor. The rooms up there are among my favorites because of the creative use of former attic space.

Many guests, like yourselves, enjoy sitting on the deck, or in the backyard to enjoy the views of the Damariscotta River and the gardens.

Thank you again for taking time to share your thoughts and I look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle Inn the next time you visit the area.

There are newer reviews for Newcastle Inn

Reviewed 18 May 2014

We have no family connections in the midcoast area, but were visiting for a wedding. We decided to stay at Newcastle Inn simply based on its closeness to the wedding venue. We were very surprised and happy to find the inn was incredibly welcoming, comfortable, and well-managed.

Julie, the inn's owner, was consistently present (whether making and serving breakfast, gardening, or working in her office), and we always felt she was available to assist us. Our room was quiet, comfortable, and charming. The view of the Damariscotta River from the Inn deck is also quite spectacular. Julie's breakfast each morning was tasty and well-prepared. We're also huge fans of her crunchy chocolate chip cookies-available in the pantry to guests at all hours.

Finally, we're big dog fans, and Dolce, the Inn dog, is super friendly and fun to have around.

We will certainly find a reason to return to Newcastle Inn in the future. It's a great home base for exploring the midcoast region.

Thanks, Julie.

--Steffan and Stan

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Steffan M
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 May 2014

Dear Steffan & Stan,

It was my pleasure to have you as my guests while you were in Newcastle for a wedding and I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your time at the inn. Yes, the view of the Damariscotta River is lovely and the tables and chairs are now set up on the deck for the summer and so pretty soon breakfast will be served there each morning.

Dolce enjoys here job as the canine greeter and certainly enjoyed spending time with you as well.

I hope that you enjoy making the Crunchy Chocolate Chip Cookies at home.

Thank you again for taking time to share your thoughts and comments regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn.

Julie

Reviewed 30 April 2014

This was the perfect place to use as a base to explore mid-coast Maine. The accommodations were fantastic. Julie, the innkeeper could nota have been more pleasant and accommodating! Her breakfasts were delicious and sustainable into mid-day. The Monhegan Island room where we stayed was quiet and pleasant. Newly painted, it was clean (as was the entire place) and safe.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Charlie L
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Dear Charlie L,

Thank you for taking time to share your thoughts regarding your stay at Newcastle Inn. I'm happy to hear that you enjoyed your time in the newly renovated Monhegan Island room. That room has always been one of the most popular with guests and with the renovations and new decor I think it will become even more popular.

You discovered what many guests find and that is that Newcastle Inn is a perfect home base for exploring the many wonderful things in this area of MidCoast Maine.

I look forward to seeing you again and welcoming you back to Newcastle Inn.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 24 March 2014

This is about as comfortable and relaxing as it gets. Just spent three nights at the Inn on business/pleasure and felt completely at home. We finished the jigsaw puzzle one night and there was another ready to go the next day. Lovely breakfasts prepared by Julie, the Innkeeper. Damariscotta restaurants all open, and very pleasant views. Rooms are quiet, commodious with nice accents. There are two rooms/suites that permit dogs in season, and I will be returning with my pooch in May.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank cibenz
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 5 April 2014

Dear cibenz,

Thank you for your review of your recent stay at Newcastle Inn. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and were comfortable and felt "at home" while here which is what I hope all guests feel while that are staying here.

Even though we are in the "quiet season" one of the great things about Newcastle/Damariscotta is that this is a year round community and businesses and restaurants stay open.

Thank you again for taking time to share you thoughts regarding your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back to Newcastle Inn in the near future.

Reviewed 19 March 2014

I had to find some last minute accommodation for an Australian film crew in Newcastle and required space to film an interview in. Julie the owner was absolutely brilliant, I can't thank her enough. My crew were extremely well looked after. Julie was flexible when the crew got delayed due to the snow. It was no problem when we had to cancel the first night and crew arrived a day late. Julie provided space for a shoot that fit our requirements. She organised meals for them as they had to work until late at night and at all times updated me on their progress. It's not often I have such reliable support from hotel staff on the ground. The crew really enjoyed their stay, I can't recommend the Newcastle Inn enough. You will be brilliantly looked after by the staff.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2014

Dear Aideenster,

Thank you for your review. I'm happy to hear that the inn met their needs for not only their personal accommodation, but also for the filming that they did here. It was my pleasure to have them here as my guests and if they are ever back in this area I hope to welcome them back again.

Thank you again.

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We've traveled to the Newcastle/Damariscotta area twice now. The first trip we stayed at another B&B nearby, but wanted to give the Newcastle Inn a try this year. Overall it was a pleasant stay, but, I'd say we liked our stay last year slightly better than this trip. Julie was kind and courteous and our room was immaculate. We stayed on the 3rd Floor in the Blue Heron suite, which was nice if you want a king sized bed and a spacious room and don't mind stairs! Breakfast was tastey both mornings, and we were able to get out and enjoy a gorgeous fall day at the Pemaquid Oyster Fest happening nearby.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 January 2014

Dear lisab8s,

Thank you for your review. The housekeepers work hard to keep things in tip top shape here at the inn. I will be sure to pass your comment along to them. There are other king bed rooms on the second floor, but for many repeat guests, only the Heron Neck room will do. The Oysterfest at the end of September is a popular event in this area and I'm happy that you were able to be here to enjoy it.

Julie

Reviewed 6 January 2014 via mobile

Julie makes everyone feel like they are visiting family. Her interest in all of her guests does not go unnoticed. Dolce the resident pooch is a joy to be around too. The inn has the warmth of an old home but lacks no modern amenity. Don't miss Julies breakfast or here baked goodies she is a master.

• Stayed: December 2013
NewcastleInn, Owner at Newcastle Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 January 2014

Dear Robert M.,

Thank you for your review of your time at Newcastle Inn. It is my desire that all guests are
comfortable, and if it feels like family then that is even better! Dolce, the resident dog, loves to meet and mingle with the guests (if they want to) and is happiest when she is curled up next to someone on the couch. I'm glad that you enjoyed the breakfasts and the cookie jar!

I look forward to your return.

Sincerely
Julie Bolthuis

Also consider these accommodations in or near Newcastle
Flagship Inn
Five Gables Inn
Five Gables Inn
#1 of 3 in East Boothbay
Sheepscot Harbour Village Resort & Spa

Been to Newcastle Inn? Share your experiences!