“You can practically see the Damariscotta River where they grow your oysters here...”

Newcastle Publick House
Ranked #1 of 5 Restaurants in Newcastle
Cuisines: American
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Bowdoinham, Maine
Reviewed 28 July 2014

…and when this restaurant serves them, they taste like they were pulled from the river just for you. Along with the horseradish, a lovely lemony topping is served--just the right thing to start off a great meal, along with a couple of their signature cocktails (I had the White Cosmopolitan). I was eating light that night and had the crab salad which was a perfectly ripe avocado half full to overflowing with crab meat on greens with an avocado dressing. It was tasty and just the right amount. My husband had steak, which was tasty and quite sufficient, too, we took some home for a steak salad. He finished off with a strawberry rhubarb pie. The filling was good but the crust disappointed somewhat (he is a pie connoisseur!). We sat in our "usual table" by the window where we could watch the absolutely crazy intersection next to the restaurant. We love this historic brick building and the lovely marine-themed murals on the wall. Service is efficient and friendly. This is our go-to restaurant whenever we attend a Heartwood Theater event nearby.

Longboat Key, Florida
“A Personal Favorite”
Reviewed 24 July 2014

Very pleasant atmosphere; excellent service. I wanted blackened haddock, but it wasn't on the menu. The closest thing was fish and chips, so the waitress substituted blackened fish for the fried. Then I was able to get a small salad instead of fries for a small extra charge. Result: I ended up with exactly what I wanted. The portions are generous and the food was outstanding.

“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

The food was quite good, not out of this world, but very good. We had a party of 10 which they were happy to accommodate. If you are going to eat here, I highly recommend eating in the bar - great atmosphere! The staff was very friendly. The fried scallops that were one of the specials were outstanding. Two people at our table got the pulled pork nachos and said they were very good. There was live music upstairs that was way to loud to enjoy so we skipped it. Great last night for our vacation.

Visited July 2014
vermont
“Delicious beef patty with crab cake inside?! To die for....”
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This past weekend I went to the Publick House with family. It was busy but wait attendant came immediately. The menu was pleasantly eclectic, I could not decided since there were several items I wanted to try. After inquiring what the Maine burger was I thought I would try it. Results.....delicious beef patty with creamy, crab cake inside and two slices of crispy (to perfection) maple bacon strips. I ordered the hand-cut sweet potato fries too. Burger was so big and satisfying that I had to bring half home for later. I took a little longer for meals to be delivered than I expected but we did have a party of seven and it was July 5th week end. I would go there again to try something else that sounded enticing.

1 Thank vtlover30
Hope, ME
“Friendly pub with good food”
Reviewed 4 July 2014

I intentionally chose a hike in the area, just so I could go to lunch at the Newcastle Pub after. As a woman out on her own, it is nice to be able to go into a restaurant and not feel awkward. The host let me chose my table. The waitress encouraged me to stay and read my book, long after my lunch was done.

Nice selection on the menu and at the bar. The food here is always consistently good and the prices are fair. I took half my meal home, as the portions were plentiful.

• Visited March 2014