“Best B&B I've ever been to”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Newcastle
The Tipsy Butler Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #2 of 4 Newcastle B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 February 2011

I traveled with colleagues to the Tipsy Butler. We were anticipating a cold, blustery, remote business week, and The Tipsy Butler changed everything. After long days at work, we couldn't wait to return to this amazing place that demands relaxation, embraces coziness, and is a pure joy. Sarah, the Inn Keeper, takes attentiveness to a new level. The daily breakfasts were phenomenal - With 2 courses each morning that made us want to stay in Maine with her forever. She has constant tea/coffee brewing for anyone he wants it, an amazing turn down service that makes you want to snuggle up, and a huge DVD collection that I will get into on my next visit. Not only would I return - But I WILL return for leisure. I can't wait to see Sarah again, and no hotel will ever be the same after the service I received at the Tipsy Butler.

The town is gorgeous, there are tons of great restaurants and shops within walking distance, and Sarah has excellent free wi fi (which was great since I was working while staying there.)

I can't wait to return!

• Stayed: February 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank LicisPicis

Reviewed 16 December 2010

My brother and I have been visiting my mom in Pemaquid Harbor Maine for over 25 years this is by far the best ever B+B I have stayed in on the Maine mid coast. Sarah and Tony are wonderful hosts . We felt warm and welcomed every minute of our stay. The rooms are clean, homey and beautifully decorated. This visit was a particularly emotional one and staying at the Tipsy Butler made us feel relaxed and comfortable which certainly made thing a lot easier to handle. The breakfasts are out of sight and the coffee delicious. They certainly satisfy, even for my 200lb brother! I would recommend it to anyone wanting to check out the beautiful Maine coast and all it has to offer. Thanks again Sarah and Tony and Merry Christmas

• Stayed: November 2010
1  Thank sunshinegirl014
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Our stay was absolutely perfect, Sarah made sure that we were comfortable and happy. The food was outstanding, breakfast was over the top wonderful. If you walk away hungry it is your own fault, but Sarah would not allow that. Rooms were very spacesous and impeccably clean and ever so tidy and wonderfully decorated. Can't wait to return and enjoy the expierence again. Thank you Sarah and Tony for everything.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with friends
1  Thank amoosetracker
Reviewed 5 September 2010

On a recent trip to Maine, we spent time in 3 of Maine's nicest B&Bs. All were outstanding in their own way, but we most enjoyed our time at the Tipsy Butler. Sarah, the innkeeper, was very helpful. She helped us make the most of our time in the Newcastle area. The food was excellent. The bed was extremely comfortable. Everything was perfect.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Philamina
Reviewed 8 August 2010

I recently returned to The Tipsy Butler for a one night get-away, and my second visit was every bit as wonderful as the first, two years ago. Sarah welcomed me at the front door like an old friend. It was wonderful to then be reintroduced to the warm comfort of the livingroom with its shelves of books, DVDs and games, and then be shown to The Cook’s Room on the second floor. Its front windows offered views of the wide-open field across the little road and Damariscotta beyond the trees. (The Groundskeepers Room where I stayed on our first trip is equally comfortable, and very roomy, too.) The bed was made up beautifully and offered a perfect night's sleep....after I'd eaten the chocolates left on my pillow!

Starting the day with Sarah’s breakfast of fresh fruit and carrot-cake pancakes with cream cheese topping was just perfect. Sarah would have made me just about anything, but she always puts together unique and very tasty combinations for breakfast that are too good to pass up.

As for the area, the Pemaquid Peninsula has everything from puffin cruises to artists’ galleries to an old sea-side fort to beaches and finally, to one of my favorite lighthouses at Pemaquid Point. Damariscotta, which is just a short walk away, has several great restaurants and interesting shops, too.

I’ll return for a third and fourth trip to The Tipsy Butler until I’ve tried all four rooms, but more importantly to enjoy Sarah and Tony’s wonderful Maine hospitality that also has a very strong touch of British accent! This B&B plus this area are great reflections of why people love mid-coast Maine.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
1  Thank MartyW60
Reviewed 28 July 2010

Sarah, the owner is delightful and extremely dedicated to her passion...making her guests feel at home. She gave us a five minute tour of the place and emphasized that she wanted us to feel at home. The king size bed was great and I sleep like a baby after a long day of touring the area. We had a chocolate on our bed every night. One more thing, the breakfast was made every day by Sarah and it was a special breakfast. She loves to cook. You have to experience to appreciate her competitive edge. I will stay at this place next year.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Gene1492
Reviewed 26 July 2010

My wife and I spent a wonderful four nights at the Tipsy Butler in late July. You would be hard-pressed to find a better place to stay. Sarah, who owns the B&B with her husband Tony, was incredibly accommodating right from the start. When we booked our stay, we told her about some dietary restrictions we had and the need for a late arrival. No problem. In fact, when we arrived, it was a bit later than planned because of a really bad thunderstorm. Yet, there she was outside waiting for us with an umbrella to whisk us in out of the rain as quickly as possible.

Once inside, she had our room (the Groundskeeper’s room) ready, but offered us a free upgrade to another room (Cook’s room). We loved both of them, but took her up on the offer for the Cook’s room. Decorated in beautiful blue colors, the Cook’s room was full of Sarah’s unique personal touches (as are all of the rooms), and included a big walk-in closet and spacious bathroom with both a claw-footed tub and walk-in shower, but we guarantee you won’t forget the incredibly comfortable king-sized bed. It is the most comfortable bed we have ever slept in – and we have slept in a lot during our nearly 25 years of traveling together as a couple.

Sarah anticipates every detail and need, yet is never intrusive. In the Tipsy Butler’s den you will find a library of books for guests, lots of DVDs and games, and travel magazines to help you plan your stay. She has rain gear available, as well as blankets and many other items you might not think to bring. Sarah is also full of good, dependable information and tips about places to go and restaurants to visit for enjoyable dining. And the inn is just a short walk from the pretty downtown shopping and dining district of Damariscotta.

Sarah is so personable and funny that you quickly grow very fond of her. She truly loves what she is doing, and makes you feel like you’ve known her for years. She has many great, funny stories to share with you, but no one who visits here will ever forget her incredible breakfasts.

Breakfast at the Tipsy Butler is not toast and eggs. It is far more than that. Sarah’s breakfasts are creative, delicious and so big that you will have no need for lunch. During our four days there, we were treated to potato pancakes with smoked salmon on top, carrot cake pancakes, a potato & spinach frittata and a crabmeat quiche. Each day also included a starter – broiled ginger grapefruit the first day, apple-raspberry crumble on the second day, berry/yogurt soup on day three and then an orange creamsicle panicotta on the final day. And she was always willing to give you more if you hadn’t had enough already (no chance of that).

A nightly turndown service of the bed, with chocolates left on your pillow, fresh bottles of water on a nearby side table, and a spot of tea to end your day are just a few of the other personal touches.

Sarah says the large number of repeat guests she has are helping her survive these tough economic times in the travel business. She can no doubt add us to that list of repeat guests. We’re thinking about returning during the Christmas season.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DickDorcey

Been to The Tipsy Butler Bed and Breakfast? Share your experiences!