“Staff great, rooms not so much”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Newry
Grand Summit Hotel and Conference Center
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Newry
Maine
“Staff great, rooms not so much”
Reviewed 30 January 2012

I spent one night here to attend a conference. They offered a tremendous rate of $116 for the night. The staff was pleasant, professional and helpful. Check in was smooth and quick.

One thing that didn't sit well with me prior to arrival is their check in and check out policy. In 35 years of traveling, I've never seen a hotel with a 6pm check in time. Check out is 10:30am. They also tell you right up front that early check in or late check out isn't allowed! WTF? Not exactly the the most customer service oriented attitude in my opinion.

The room itself was a superior room which means a room with a Murphy bed. I knew that since the booking agent told me up front. The room also had a full kitchen with microwave, sink stove, and dishwasher. A nice touch for those staying a while.

The room was not what I consider to be super clean. There were little brown spots of mold around the sink rim and one of the pillows on the loveseat in the room had a big stain on it.
The bed pillows were clearly way past their best days. The rug was fairly worn but I can overlook that because the ski boots beat them up I'm sure.
I did a little rearranging by moving the loveseat beside the bed, facing the TV. There is a kitchen table in the room that I think is too large for the room size. The TV had a wide selection of channels which is always appreciated by me. Too often, you go to a hotel and they offer like 10 channels.
There was a small balcony but the door latch was broken which made it very difficult to open. The deadbolt worked fine but the latch mechanism required you to turn the knob very hard to open the door.

The heat was turned off when I arrived but the room was still very warm, so much so that I had to open a window to make it bearable and sleep with it open.

The Murphy bed folded out of the wall easily enough. The bed was very firm, like a rock in fact. Not the most comfortable night's sleep I've ever had, but not the worst either. The sheets and comforter were soft and cuddly though.

A decent hotel room right on the mountain. The hotel has lots of amenities which I did not partake of but all in all a good value at a prime location.
The staff I interacted with throughout the day-long conference with very friendly. It's obvious that management take pride in training everyone to greet customers as they walk by and to give service with a smile.
I would certainly stay here again. Thank you Sunday River for a nice experience.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that isn't above the lobby. The hotel is not well sound proofed so you can hear...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank jocko758

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 2 January 2012

We stayed at this resort for 4 days and had a great time. This was our first visit to Sunday River and we loved the installations. We stayed at the Grand Summit resort. We had a suite with kitchen facilities and a murphy bed for the teens. The rooms are a little outdated but we were there for the skiing so when we got back to the rooms at the end of the day we were just happy to sit down to a quiet meal. The resort has all the amenities you need for skiing and is a true ski-in ski-out. They have a ski check-in which we really appreciated. I recommend this place for families looking for a nice ski experience. Not the most romantic place to be for couples.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Anthony066
Reviewed 10 October 2011

Studio room had a murphy bed and was ok. Service in lobby was excellent. Bar expensive as expected. Overall ok, average.

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Deputyc2
Wilmington, Vermont
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Overall pretty good, but we had to re-arrange the livingroom- when we were laying in bed (murphy bed) the loveseat was right in the way of the TV. So, we had to move the coffee table and the loveseat- they were squashed into the corner with the sofa. The bathroom linoleum needs to be replaced and there wasn't sufficient coffee supplies in the kitchen- very little coffee creamer and no sugar or other sweetener. Luckily the front desk was very nice at 6am and gave me some supplies- breakfast didn't start until 7.

Room Tip: bring your own coffee supplies- and a snack if you want to eat before 7am
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
donnacona
Reviewed 31 May 2011

We were there for a golf vacation, badly, it rain all week.
We were very happy to have the spa,and the pool. This pool is the best I ever had. You get in and out inside and you swim outside and it is open until 10 pm.
The staff is great.
Ask for something and you get it. it is amasing.
Very good bed, pillows and sheets.
Room service is excellent the staff gives you what you ask.
The hotel is quiet, not what we heard from reviews. If you get ther at spring break, it is probably noisy. Parking lot is a little far from the hotel door, specially if it rains.

Room Tip: Take a 1 floor room, it is the floor of the pool.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank joeetclaude
Reviewed 10 March 2011

The Grand Summit is family friendly....perhaps too family friendly. I would recommend this place for families, but not for couples looking for peace and quiet. The walls are very thin, and in our room it basically sounded like a herd of elephants walking on the floor above all day long. We noted teenagers, perhaps 16 or 17 years old drinking beer in the pool and hottub at night. The staff was very friendly and all the valets were very nice. The breakfast is very good. Showering is an adventure here. You have to duck in and out of the water between fluctuations of scalding and freezing water. I reccommend showering during non peak hours such as 3AM for your own safety. The beds were comfortable and room amenities were simple but acceptable. The ski area is very nice, I would visit Sunday River again, but will look into a bed and breakfast instead of the Grand Summit.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled as a couple
Boston
Reviewed 14 February 2011

We stayed here while skiing at Sunday River. I think it is a typical ski hotel, nice beds but not much else in the room except a TV and a bathroom and a table with coffee maker. You don't really need much else if you're going to spend all your time skiing.
Pros:
- Location was great, you could ski from the hotel right to the lift and very easy to ski back home.
- Breakfast: Breakfast was included in our package and was served from 7 to 10:30 every morning. Specially liked the omletes and the chicken hash. Servers were very good at filling up coffee cups and water.
- Beds were very comfortable
- heater worked really well in our room
- Heated outdoor pool and hot tub: It was great to be able to relax in the hot tub and pool after a day of skiing. Pool was open till 10PM every night.
- Staff - from the front desk clerk to the housecleaning staff, everyone was friendly and helpful. A++
- Shuttle around the Sunday River Area

Cons:
- Rooms are a bit dated however with the beating that the rooms get from skiers I completely understand the industrial carpeting.
- Noise: There were some rowdy skiers across the hall from us and you could hear them all night. Also a lot of door banging all through the night.
- no where to sit in the room except two cafe chairs at a table. it would have been nice to have some kind of easy/soft chair to read in.
- Area around the hot tub. Since the outside pools are heated you have to be very careful getting out of the pool and entering the hot tub. because of the water from the pool it freezes up very easily around the edges and I slipped on the ice going to the hot tub from the pool. I landed on my arm but luckily didn't break anything just some scrapes.
- Kids: This is something the hotel can't do anything about but there were kids everywhere and the parents did not watch them. Under 13 years were supposed to be accompanied in the pool area but there were lots of kids w/o parents around both in the pool and hot tub.

I would definitely stay here again if I return to Sunday River. The location is great and it was nice to be able to ski on and off the mountain. We had friends who stayed in the condos at Sunday River and said it was very bare so we were glad of our choice.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank BBuddy
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
The Bethel Inn Resort
#1 of 7 in Gorham
Snow Cap Inn
Snow Cap Inn
#12 of 15 in Bethel

Been to Grand Summit Hotel and Conference Center? Share your experiences!