“Great resort within reach of Boston”

Sunday River Resort
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newry
“Great resort within reach of Boston”
Reviewed 18 February 2013

We'd not been to Sunday Mountain before but the trail map looked promising.

When we arrived we found a good range of runs covering all abilities with pretty good snow (by New England standards!). The place is very scenic with a good layout. The parking is easy and there are several base stations. The only downside is the lack of decent cafes for mid-morning coffee, but we found one in a hotel over to the far right of the trail map.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Herberter

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
MA
Reviewed 11 February 2013

My husband and I stayed for 6 nights at the Grand Summit resort. Previously I had stayed there for 3 nights in December with our adult son, when he was visiting from CA. Because of that wonderful first experience at the resort I wanted to return with my husband. We are from MA and love visiting Maine. We initially booked 4 nights at the Grand Summit, but with the Big Storm in place we extended our stay. I posted a separate review regarding the Grand Summit under that topic.

We have typically skied Stowe this time of year, but have fallen in love with the laid back atmosphere, great snow making and grooming and varied on mountain accommodations and mountain amenities (ski in and out, ski check without all the add on fees like additional parking charges) that both the mountain and the resort has to offer. Most people are very friendly and helpful at this resort and there is such a vast amount of area to ski on. We thought the on mountain dinning options were great. Definitely a ski resort that we will return to.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
Walpole, Massachusetts
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Sunday River is the perfect place to go on a family vacation. We stayed at the Grand Summit Hotel. We had a one bedroom suite that had a queen in the bedroom, murphy bed and a pull out couch. The suite also had a full kitchen with a table and a nice seating area. Everyone was so friendly from check in to the mountain shuttle driver and all the staff on the mountain. I was also impressed with how good the food was at the hotel, at the top and bottom of the mountain. All 3 of my kids had never been skiing 10,9 and 6 all of them took 2 days of lessons and are all now skiing on all the same trails I ski on. Everyone had a blast and my kids even said they liked this trip better than Disney. I would highly recommend this mountain. Especially if your kids have never skiing and you want them to learn. Perfect family vacation!!!!

Room Tip: 1 bedroom suite worked perfect for our family of 5.
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Deanna f
02050
Reviewed 18 January 2013

I recently stayed in a deluxe studio--was pleasantly surprised to see it had a full kitchen--the room was clean--the staff in all areas helpfull--we had dinner 2 nights in the Legends--food and sevice excellant. I do not ski but my daughter snow boards--she went out at night to snowboard too--had breakfast in Bethel at a place that offers a gluten free menu. Loooking forward to returning!

Room Tip: look on website at the room pictures--could save $$ if you cooked or brought food knowing that ther...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chatty2
london
Reviewed 27 December 2012

We paid $1,200 for a ski resort which promised a hot tub and a heated pool. First night, the 'heated' pool is cold and the hot tub is broken. Our second, which will be today, we are told that the hot tub will be broken again. The amount of money they gave us back is laughable - $35. We got a hotel room for the hot tub and pool, otherwise we could have saved over a grand and stayed in my friends car. If we paid for a room and there were no beds, I would expect a substantial refund; this is no different. Lying to customers in such a blatant manner is likely illegal. In addition, our shower faucet broke and the concierge was rude - we paid for a luxury resort and got a roach motel experience. I travel a lot and have never been this disappointed with a hotel in my life.

• Stayed December 2012
5 Thank ygontchar
Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 October 2012

We stayed here for 2 nights as a Owner/Guest, and our friend's unit was great. Suffice to say, we had every amenity at our disposal, so we were quite happy. Our 2nd floor room overlooked part of the heated outdoor pool AND the ski-lift and woods.

All in all, a great 3rd time visit for my Fiancee, a great 1st for me.

• Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Lancashire, England
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Further to my review of February 2012 I have been meaning to write this update for ages. On returning from the US I complained again about the situation we encountered on our annual visit to Sunday River, only this time to Mr Kercher a member of the owning family. He asked Karl Strand to get back to me, which he did and suffice to say we will be returning to Sunday River in February 2013. This has restored my faith in the team at Sunday River!!

Room Tip: Ask to be sited away from school parties when you book.
  • Stayed February 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newry
Town & Country Inn and Resort
Holidae House Bed & Breakfast
Norseman Inn
Norseman Inn
#10 of 15 in Bethel

Been to Sunday River Resort? Share your experiences!