“The place is awesome”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Berwick
Angel of the Berwicks
Reviewed 19 June 2011

We needed some place for 1 night before our flight back home and just lucked out in finding them. We were able to reserve 1 night. The building is awesome. 120 years young!! Wish we had more time to spend there. We had a room in the front and had some road noise. But we pretended it was the ocean. The woodwork in the place was amazing. Exceeded our expectations!!!

Room Tip: Rooms in front do have some road noise.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 June 2011

I booked my Italian family here to stay for 5 nights as my uncle had a good experience here and it was close to where we were staying with my dad. The bed & breakfast is unbelievably beautiful. It is a renovated victorian house and Sally & Ben are two of the friendliest hosts you will ever meet. They went out of their way to make my relatives feel at ease (despite the fact our family only spoke Italian). They also made an incredible breakfast every morning for them and their 3 course breakfast 'creations' were always a topic of conversation during the day.

If you are looking for an original place to stay where you will be comfortable and have an enjoyable experience in southern Maine, look no further. This bed & breakfast is worth the extra money and is still located close to Wells, Ogunquit and Portland. And if you really look at the prices, Angel of Berwicks is not that much more expensive and in every way, worth it.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 May 2011

This is an outstanding value. The house is a meticulously restored mansion. The detail, woodwork, and art were amazing. There were also a number of beautiful stained glass windows. The owner is wonderful and has put a lot of time and effort into the house. The rooms are spacious and very comfortable. Most of them are two room suites for the price of one room. There was no TV in our suite but there was a public parlor where we could watch TV. I believe some of the rooms do have televisions.

The owner was very friendly and helpful without being pushy or intrusive. She has a remarkable eye for decoration and details. The breakfasts were delicious works of art. I am a big guy and could have used a bit more food but it was certainly adequate. In the afternoon we were offered tea and a snack.

The location is away from the crowded coast but close enough that it is an easy ride. The B&B is on a main road in North Berwick. There is some road noise but it was not intrusive or disturbing. We slept quite well. There really is not much to see in the immediate vicinity of the B&B although it is right next to a terrific and inexpensive restaurant. The area is beautiful and there is plenty to do and see within a short drive.

This place is a gem and a great value. I would highly recommend it. This was our first stay and we will definitely return.

Room Tip: The rooms in the back are a bit quieter. All good.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 60745Steve
Reviewed 29 July 2010

This was our first experience with a B&B and believe me it will be hard for anyone to beat it!!
This place is beyond everything the web page says.
Ben's breakfast is so gourmet and fantastic!
We went for 2 nights for my boyfriends birthday, they put a special little cake and birthday card in the room for him!
The building is beautiful with so much architecture and history in it, its perfectly furnished and taken care of.
Sally was awesome and patient with mt lack of direction and all my questions and they made sure everything was all set for us even tho we arrived late.
All in all this was the best experience thank you both so much!!
We will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 January 2010

My husband and I spent one night at the Angel of the Berwicks and enjoyed it so much that we had to force ourselves to leave on Sunday at check out time! We have had the opportunity to visit many inns in New England over the past several years, and Angel of the Berwicks is by far the most beautiful we’ve ever seen. The woodwork and period details are absolutely stunning. The five spacious guest rooms are beautifully appointed, immaculate, and incredibly comfortable. The common areas are all beautiful, spacious, and welcoming. Ben and Sally Gumm are wonderful innkeepers. They are very pleasant, engaging, and attentive but never over bearing. Much to our delight, they directed us to a snowshoeing and cross country skiing trail right behind the inn at the Negataquit Nature Center. We had fabulous afternoon snowshoeing on the trails. We dined in South Berwick at the Pepperland Café, and then returned to the Angel and enjoyed some wine and the warmth of a fire in the music room. Sally made us a wonderful, three-course breakfast that we enjoyed in the beautiful dining room. We had a wonderful time at the Inn, and were able to enjoy the sights of Ogunquit after checking out, as Angel of the Berwicks is less than 10 miles from Ogunquit and Wells. If you are interested in architecture, antiques, and gracious accommodations, you won’t want to miss this place.

• Stayed: January 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The Angel of the Berwicks is a charming inn from the minute you walk in the front door. Sally showed my girlfriend and I all around the house when checking us in, leaving us in front of our room. They have been doing a lot of renovations on the inn, and they have done a fantastic job blending the excellent antiques with modern style. Our room was clean and very comfortable, as was the bathroom right across the hall (It was a private bathroom; all the other rooms have bathrooms within the bedrooms).

The Angel is a Bed and Breakfast, and at this place, breakfast is the operative word. Sally cooked an incredible gourmet breakfast like I've never had in my life, and Ben served very graciously. I would drive up there from Boston on a regular basis just to enjoy more of her cooking. The muffins ARE as good as their website brags about, but you haven't tasted anything until you work your way through the next courses.

If I have to talk about setbacks to this inn, I would be nitpicking. The beach and the town are about a twenty minute drive away, and during high season traffic on Route 1 can get pretty tight. However, there is a really good trolley service to Wells Beach that has stops closer to the inn, and it's much cheaper than parking at the beach.

This was my first time at a B&B, and if I travel to Maine in the future, I will absolutely stay here again. Sally and Ben have outdone themselves with their new home, and I would recommend it to anyone traveling in that area.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 August 2009

The Angel of the Berwicks is an impeccably styled manor that is updated for the modern times but still has the gorgeous Victorian charm. Definitely not a place to bring young kids, but definitely a place for couples who want to get away from the daily hustle and bustle. Ben and Sally, the inn keepers were gracious and provided thorough directions and suggestions. The Angel is a short drive to the main thoroughfare (Rt. 1) and for the price and quality is worth staying a 15 minute drive away from the main attractions. Ben and Sally will give you good advice for dinner and where to go during the day. Besides the unbelievable charm and cleanliness, the breakfast was a three-course gourmet delight. Warm muffins, fresh juice, fresh fruit parfaits with a homemade sauce & granola, and a warm egg dish was outstanding. Sally garnished the dishes with fresh herbs and fresh fruits. Ben, her husband, served us in a chivalrous manner. I highly recommend this inn, and I plan on going back as soon as possible! The only small con was that I wish there were a fridge available for guests to get water or drinks, we were offered drinks at the beginning of the stay, but we wanted to get settled first. We could have asked but we did not want to be a annoyance and it was hard to find the innkeepers since they have other tasks to complete during the day. Overall, I highly recommend the Angel of the Berwicks!!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Been to Angel of the Berwicks? Share your experiences!