“Victorian treasure!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Berwick
Angel of the Berwicks
Hanover, Massachusetts
“Victorian treasure!”
Reviewed 5 May 2013

Angel of the Berwicks is comfortable and the breakfast was wonderful! Sally & Ben are excellent hosts with a beautiful Victorian mansion to welcome guests in. The location is not particularly scenic outside, but once you are in, it does not matter. The restoration of the elaborate Victorian decor is marvelous. The room we had was very spacious and the bed was comfortable. Sally fixed a gourmet French toast breakfast with a first course of fruit that was as lovely to look at as it was delicious to eat. We took a pleasant walk around the small town in the early evening. The location is just a short drive from the Maine coast and the shopping areas of Kittery and southern NH. We will likely return again, it was restful and enjoyable.

Room Tip: There is some street noise in the front bedroom which faces east - where the sun comes up!
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 6 August 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our Bed & Breakfast. Sally and I are pleased that you enjoyed your stay. Ben Gumm

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Chicago, Illinois, United States
Reviewed 8 April 2013

My husband and I stayed at the Angel for our honeymoon in August of last year. It was our first trip to Maine and we can't say enough about how much we enjoyed our time there. Ben and Sally truly made us feel at home and couldn't have been more kind. We enjoyed getting to know the other guests each morning over Sally's amazing breakfasts, served in the formal dining room.

The actual house is GORGEOUS!! I really didn't want to leave. The architecture, woodwork, painted details and stained glass were beautiful. I spent hours just looking at the details. We're already talking about celebrating our 1st anniversary there, but waiting until October to see Maine in the fall.

Beautiful house, wonderful accommodations, and awesome hosts. Loved everything about the Angel and our stay!

Room Tip: The Niagara Falls Room was very spacious and private.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tina A
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 10 April 2013
Thank you for your wonderful review. Sally and I certainly appreciate your kind words. It is one of our greatest pleasures to see our guests enjoying such warm camaraderie around the breakfast table and on the front porch. We look forward to hosting you again this fall........Ben Gumm.
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 December 2012

My husband and I only stayed one night but we were very impressed. The inn is full of interesting architectural details and our room was very comfortable. Breakfast was fantastic!
I would definitely like to return when I can stay longer.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Tampa Bay FL USA
Reviewed 11 October 2012

Sally and Ben were the perfect hosts in this elegant B&B in the heart of Berwick Maine. The house was amazing, the service wonderful but probably the very best part were the breakfasts. Every morning Sally prepared breakfasts that tasted as good as they looked. Next time we're in southern Maine, we'll be staying there.

Room Tip: We stayed on the 3rd floor. It was good exercise to climb those 15 steps for each floor but might be...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Our first trip to New England, as we celebrated our anniversary. We had a fabulous stay at the Angel, in the Niagra Falls room. Sally and Ben were gracious hosts. And our breakfasts were exceptional!! Thanks so much!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 August 2012

We stayed in the Salmon Falls Room on the third floor. It was large and beautiful. Everything was so clean it made it easy for us to relax. Not only was every breakfast delicious it was beautiful too! The portions weren't large....I was very satisfied but I know my husband could have eaten more. My only regret was that the weather was sooo gorgeous last weekend that we didn't spend much time in our beautiful room. Our hosts were great, easy to chat with and very welcoming. We'd love to return.

• Stayed August 2012
londonderry nh
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I had stayed at one other bed and breakfast last spring, at that one when we arrived the owners had snacks, juices , and ice water out on a table. When I arrived at the Berwick's I needed to search for someone just to check in as I had a time crunch and there wasn't even a pitcher of water out for guests. At the other bed and breakfast, they asked us when we wanted breakfast but said there would be items out if we were early risers. At the Berwick's the owner said there would be coffee before breakfast and that wasn't out either and nothing to tide you over before a later breakfast. The owner at the first place actually sat down with us to ask us about ourselves, these owners asked if we needed anything else and when I asked for another muffin (as we only allotted 1 each) she said "I'd have to heat some up" so another guest felt bad for me and gave me hers! I was very disappointed in the whole experience, the house is gorgeous but the hospitality and food were very disappointing.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo

Been to Angel of the Berwicks? Share your experiences!