“WOW is all i can say!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in North Berwick
Angel of the Berwicks
Harrington
“WOW is all i can say!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

First time at Angel of Berwicks and it was EXCELLENT....We were so pleasantly surprised when we pulled up out front at how lovely the home was!! We were warmly greeted by Sally and Ben and were given a tour of some of the rooms....what a fantastic job of decorating and staying very true to the time period when the home was built. My wife and I have done renovations like this before, so we can really appreciate the love and dedication that was poured into this B&B by Sally and Ben. As for breakfast...DONT MISS IT! We stayed 4 days and each morning the breakfast was special, even the settings at the table were different every day! My wife had me take pix of our bfast each morning as it was truly special....Bfast was at 8:30 and it was easy to see why when you see the effort that Sally put into making something different and special every morning! The company around the table held many interesting and fun conversations....part of a great experience! Now as for our room....The first and foremost thing I look for is "CLEAN"....and it certainly was!! Our bathroom was spotless also. The room decorating was warm and inviting and very tastefully done....
We were in town for a wedding and our family and friends were quite jealous when I showed them where we were staying as compared to the hotels they were staying at...
Overall, I cant say enough wonderful things about the Angel.....We would recommend it in a heartbeat if you are coming to visit the area or looking for a romantic getaway...Sally and Ben were delightful hosts and I say this as someone who has frequented many B&B's and I would put this one at the top! WE DEFINATELY WILL RETURN!

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor and it was lovely.... When we toured- All the rooms looked very nice!
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank William R
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 13 August 2014
"WOW" right back at you. It's great to be at the top of your list of B&Bs. Sally and I genuinely appreciate your glowing review. We believe we have created a warm, comfortable and fun atmosphere at Angel of the Berwicks, so it is rewarding to have someone like you recognize our efforts. Thank you for taking the time to cover so many aspects of your stay in your review.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Reviewed 2 August 2014 via mobile

My 'visit' was farther back then the Sept 2013 stated. We inquired for a part of our family to stay a portion of a weekend over a holiday weekend and were told that they would not accept the reservation because they COULD get someone that would want to stay the whole weekend. To top it off she (who ever we spoke with, no name was given over the phone) rude, short and seemed like this was a complete inconvenience in the off season in this area. I have heard from others who have stayed for business at The Berwicks that it wasn't much better, but at least it was close to the business they had in town. Just a warning.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 5 August 2014
After reading this review several times, it is unclear whether the reviewer ever actually stayed at Angel of the Berwicks. If she did stay at our B&B, she clearly liked it well enough to call again for a reservation for her family member. I'm sorry the reviewer was disappointed that her family member could not reserve a one-night stay on a holiday weekend. However, almost every smaller bed & breakfast has a two-night minimum stay requirement on weekends--especially on holiday weekends. The other Trip Advisor reviews, from guests who actually stayed at our B&B, give a more accurate picture of the quality of our service.
Norwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This was my very first B & B experience. I am so glad that we came to the Angel of the Berwicks, in North Berwick, Maine. We have always stayed in the York Beach area. I was so thrilled with all the antiques. I love taking photos and this was a fantastic photo opportunity. We stayed two evenings and I took over 100 photos. Our room was on the second floor- The Great Works- it was very spacious and we loved all the antique furniture. We also enjoyed the wonderful 3 course breakfast meals each morning. We will have to come back and would love to sit down with Ben and Sally and hear some more stories. My friends are loving all my photos that I have posted on Facebook. Thank you Ben & Sally for making this a wonderful experience for me and my husband Jim.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 30 July 2014
It's wonderful to read that you took so many photos. Architectural gems like Angel of the Berwicks need to be recorded for all time. Unfortunately, I'm not aware of many early photos of the building--especially interior photos. Thank you for your insightful review and for your warmth and good humor during your stay. Sally and I will look forward to sitting down and sharing more stories of the Angel's illustrious past during your next visit. Maybe even a ghost story.
Lakeland, Florida
Reviewed 20 July 2014

This was our first time staying at Angel of Berwicks. We are very familiar with the area as we have family in the area.
It is lovely.......classic.

I cannot imagine the upkeep that goes into this place!

We were in a 2nd floor suite with a large sitting room, large bedroom with a queen (?) bed and a large bathroom. Very clean. NO TV in either of the rooms of our suite.
WIFI reception was good in our suite.

Leave at least an hour or more for breakfast as it is a fine dining experience.
Although we planned on eating breakfast there during our stay, we had plans daily at 9:15 - 10:00 so could not "partake." In hindsight, before we booked I should have asked "what time breakfast is served?" Sally did tell us upon checkin in that breakfast would be served at 8:30. I would have hoped that maybe muffins or fruit would have been provided, but that appeared not to be an option as we looked at the breakfront each morning and there was none. :( We made due with Dunkin Donuts about 200 yds away ;)

It is a nice quiet spot and I bet in "leaf peeping season" those magnificent trees on property are magnificent with color.

Stairs..front and inside........so not handicap accessible. (but most B and B are not handicap accessible)

Try it..........you'll like it.

Room Tip: We were quite happy with Bonnie Baug room. Good air conditioning.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 22 July 2014
Thank you for your glowing review and kind words. It was a pleasure to host you last week. Your speculation that " I bet in leaf peeping season those magnificent trees on property are magnificent with color" is right-on. Foliage season is beautiful in Maine and Angel of the Berwicks' spectacular maple trees are always ablaze with color. We serve breakfast between 7AM and 10 AM, although most guests prefer to dine together to enjoy the conviviality of their fellow visitors. Breakfast is a wonderful time to compare experiences, get recommendations for dinner and learn about the home countries of our world wide travelers.
MA
Reviewed 22 June 2014

My wife and I booked an overnight at the Angel of Berwicks and if we knew how nice it was going to be, we would have booked a few nights! If you are a fan of architecture you need to stay.
The owners, Sally and Ben had a nice cocktail reception for the guests out back and what was supposed to be an hour turned into 3 hours!
The breakfast they served was tasty and filling for a day of sightseeing in the area. Some B&B's have guests sit at different tables, here we all sat around one table so it made it easier to talk with the other guests.
We will definitely be back.
I can't recommend this place enough!!!

Room Tip: Salmon Falls is a nice large room with a room set up as a sitting area off of it.
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Thank you, Gary O, for taking the time to post such a complimentary review. Sally and I really enjoyed getting to know you and MB around the pit fire and at the breakfast table. We are thrilled to be caretakers for a short time of this magnificent mansion that has such a long and rich history. It is gratifying when guests so freely and articulately express their appreciation.
Maine, New York
Reviewed 29 December 2013

My boyfriend and I made a last minute decision to get out of Portland for the night to find an adventure on my birthday. We knew we wanted to stay at a peaceful B&B close to top-notch dining. We found what we were seeking only 40-60min. outside of Portland.

Sally greeted us at the door and made sure we felt comfortable in this gem of a mansion. She immediately introduced herself and proceeded to give us a very informative historical tour of the building. There were several sitting rooms, an amazing common room with a lit fire, nutcrackers on the mantel, a grand piano, beautiful art, elaborate fireplaces and awing architectural detail. We stayed in a beautiful warm suite on the third floor, it was everything we were hoping for.

We dropped our bags and headed to Ogunquit for an outstanding night of dining. We ate and sipped the night away at Five-0's and then drove down the dazzling Shore Road to Wells where we enjoyed a nice walk on the beach surrounded by bright shining stars. In the morning we woke up to a top-notch breakfast served by both Ben and Sally. It was a three course breakfast which included: a fresh warm muffin, baked and sugared grapefruit shipped directly to the B&B from Florida, and an outstanding baked egg florentine!

Delicious.

We recommend the Angel of the Berwicks to anyone looking for genuine hospitality in a charming historical mansion close to great dining and beaches.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Bethany E
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 2 January 2014
Spur of the moment trips are, often times, the best. Sally and I are delighted that we could play a small role in making your getaway a memorable one. Thank you for your visit and for posting this review. Angel of the Berwicks is truly an architectural gem, and its location so close to world class dining makes it an ideal destination for Maine visitors.
Middletown, Connecticut
Reviewed 8 December 2013

With a smooth wooden banister on my right, Ben led me to a comfortable room on the dusk of a long day.

Angel of the Berwicks proved a lucky find for me on my career’s first business trip this December. Upon arrival to my room, Salmon Falls, Mr. Gumm pointed out a spot for supper. After napping in luxury, I ate there with comfort. Rested and fed, the two minute walk back felt clear. Apparently I experienced tunnel vision upon first arrival, because Hurd Manor is gorgeous.

The library, music room, and dining room implicitly and/or explicitly told stories with a medley of: paintings, sculptures, books, windows, furniture and even technological systems. How did a fossil filled fireplace get there? How many hours of craftsmanship created such carefully carved shelving? When?

Happy to ascend the staircase for bedtime, all seemed well, but I forgot toothpaste! Sally would be to the rescue! But. At the time. Was asleep. She can relate a comedy of naive insolence, hospitality, and eventually my education...

The next morning, quiet music provided a relaxed ambiance for a home cooked breakfast. Feeling sharp made a few days of work akin to a vacation. I hope it is not full when I get to go back, because it is a bed and breakfast so enchanting you’ll want to linger.

• Stayed December 2013, travelled on business
ME-Bucky, Owner at Angel of the Berwicks, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Business travelers find staying at Angel of the Berwicks to be an especially rewarding experience because we are located less than a half mile from our three major companies--Pratt & Whitney, Hussey Seating and the new Hannaford's Supermarket. The reviewer took the time to explore the entire inn and was rewarded by discovering the finer points of this amazing structure. The fossilized marble, from 450 million years ago, most likely came from the middle east. It's always rewarding to have guests truly appreciate our amazing inn. Thank you for sharing your thoughts.

Been to Angel of the Berwicks? Share your experiences!