“A Great Lunch Place!”

Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 21 October 2013

I spent nine days on the island and ate at Colonel's about four times for lunch. The food quality was always very good and consistent. My favorite lunch entrée was the Rueben sandwich - very very tasty!

1  Thank Spiritualized67
There are newer reviews for Colonel's Restaurant and Bakery

Reviewed 16 October 2013

While touring Arcadia National Park we stopped in Northeast Harbor. Found the Colonels restaurant and bakery. We had a great lunch and fun conversation with the staff. It is a nice place nicely decorated. We also enjoyed some of the bakery items and then bought more as we left.

Reviewed 12 October 2013

A simple lunch? The 3 inch photo in the menu was a lovely clam chowder. I pointed to it and said, 'I'll have the clam chowder.' What came was warm milk with little green flecks of some herb and a cup full of potatoes (See photo) and no flavor at all. There was, a scant tablespoon full of fish... Also flavorless... $5 Glad I didn't order the $8 bowl! When asked, the waitress told me 'It's been fish chowder for 5 years!' Obviously you need to be a local to eat here so you know... Or an unsuspecting tourist!

3  Thank BadurekL
Reviewed 12 October 2013

The bakery seems to be very good and quite popular. They don't carry a lot of variety but what they do carry is very good. We settled on an apple turnover. The crust was fresh and extremely flakey and there was more than ample fruit filling.

Now, about the restaurant. We visited very late in the year, just a few days before they were closing for the season. I can understand them being low on inventory so close to their shut down date. However, when they said they were out of chicken salad, crab and hummus; I thought - hmmm these guys buy pre-made mixes from Costco, Sysco, or some other wholesaler. Not that this practice is all that unusual, but I prefer restaurants that take some pride in creating their own products from scratch with fresh ingredients. I don't think these guys fall into that category.

I had the chili. It was served in a smallish ramekin. I can't complain about the amount of stuff they put into the chili but I wish it had been a bit bigger. It had beef chunks, onions, jalapenos, sour cream and cheese. It had a decent amount of bite. Not overly hot, but about right I thought. The meat was supposed to have a bourbon/bbq flavor. I thought it tasted boiled--that is it had no taste. The rest of the ingredients gave the chili an acceptable flavor level. Overall, it wasn't bad. Not great, but acceptable.

My wife had the fish chowder. It was not good at all. Two small chunks of fish, a bunch of potatoes and a runny semi-creamy broth. Since it was mostly cut up potato chunks, there was little flavor.

Maybe the sandwiches are better. At least I assume they are made with the bakery bread. I didn't see anyone with a sandwich so I can't say how big they are.

No complaints with the service.

I don't know what else is available in this small town, but I would certainly give someone else a shot.

4  Thank DJB25
Reviewed 7 October 2013

Too bad we had no room for a bakery item. Wow -- the bakery has everything! We visited on a rainy day and this was the perfect find for us. It was very comfortable, reasonably priced, great service (friendly and prompt), and our food was delicious. All sandwiches are served on their homemade bakery breads. Lots of choices. Delicious!