“A Place to Avoid”
Review of Asticou Inn

Asticou Inn
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I returned recently to the Asticou for our anniiversery. We went there on our honeymoon 20 years ago. It was very nice then but things, as they say, have changed. The room was shabby and almost totally lacking in privacy. The food was poor and absurdly priced. I paid $12.95 for some rubber eggs and cold toast. At check-out I noticed a $13 fee for each day called a resort fee. When I asked what it was I was told "Oh, just another fee..." I recommend that you stay somewhere else. There are several very nice places in near-by Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
20  Thank dfarrington

Reviewed 27 September 2012

This hotel was opened in 1883 and was clearly rather grand at the time. Sadly, not much has changed since. Pride of place must be given to the elevator, surely the oldest still working, manually operated, room for three people. The rooms are spartan, and the bathrooms elderly. No TV or coffee makers. Lovely location, views over the well kept gardens, tennis court and pool, and out to the harbour. Reception rooms spacious and comfortable. I suggest dining in the village of Northeast Harbour. If you want to experience a once fine establishment with fairly high prices, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank Deirdre G
Reviewed 4 September 2012

We just finished a 10-day trip through New England ... so very lovely! Except one portion -- our stay at the Asticou. I thought I read the reviews before deciding to stay here, but perhaps I paid too much attention to the positive ones. BIG mistake! (Oh, and even Fodor's recommended the hotel ... so much for their credibility too.)

Upon arrival, we did not get the room we reserved, and paid FULLY for, some 3 months in advance. We were put in the attic, where my husband could literally not stand up in the room. After dinner (elsewhere), we finally spoke up to the front desk. Sal, the only competent person at the hotel (and in his first month there), moved us -- but told us we'd have to move again for our second night. Anything was better than the attic. Fortunately, we were not in the hotel much, which good because we learned that the entire property, save 3 other guest rooms, were there for a wedding.

The wedding not only consumed the entire property, but apparently the staff as well. The second night, we could not even get a pre-dinner (again elsewhere) glass of wine in the bar, as "all the bar staff is down in the tent for the wedding, and they have the only key to the liquor cabinet." My husband was so steamed by this point, we came within an eyelash of deciding we would argue the charges with our credit card company. The only saving grace was that Sal showed up a half an hour later with a conciliatory bottle of wine.

Flaws in the place:

1) First and foremost staff. The waitstaff are incredibly incompetent, slow and while the very young and inexperienced Eastern Europeans attempted to be cordial, they are woefully undertrained. Who doesn't know how to pour a simple cup of coffee? Every patron in the breakfast dining room was on their feet looking for a refill, a check, service of ANY type.

2) The rooms are atrocious! Not even a pen or pencil can be found in any room. No AC, no TV. The decor consists of 1950's flowered wallpaper. Showers are from the dark ages... big, hard-to-get-into tubs with a small shower curtain that barely surrounds the body -- and yes, sticks to you as you shower. (Several readers write about this and it's 100 percent the truth.) Not only is there no place to put the soap, but mine actually fell off the open window (remember, no AC), and landed on the outdoor deck, which is used for dining. One hour later, when we sat on that deck for breakfast, there was my bar of soap, sitting among the guests.

3) Noise level is terrible, and made worse in our case by fireworks at 10 pm (30 minutes worth) that were like a cannon being shot next to us. The music blared on the lawn well into midnight.

Through all of our trials, we never once saw or heard from a real manager, although they surely must have been there for such an "important wedding." They absolutely should NOT book guests when they cannot accommodate them. I've traveled the world and NEVER been to a place so positively inattentive to guests. It's as if they couldn't be "bothered" with other guests.... and I'm sure on those nights, we paid a much higher nightly rate than the wedding guests.

READERS HEED THIS. Read every bad review about this hotel. You will see a theme and read the same complaints over and over. They are absolutely TRUE! The good reviews are mostly wedding attendees. Or maybe they are guests who love camping as much as anything. The value for this place is beyond negative. We paid over $350/night and got nothing but aggravation. I've had better service, and a good night's sleep in the worst Hampton Inn you could imagine.

Management should be ashamed. And they've even had the nerve to send me a quick "how was your stay email survey." Boy will they regret they've asked me!

Run -- don't walk to -- to any place but the Asticou.

Room Tip: There IS no good room here. Cramped, ZERO amenities, showers no better than campgrounds. VERY nois...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
18  Thank travelingkat64
Reviewed 20 August 2012

The location and ambience of this hotel make it special. We have spent the past 6 summers in Northeast Harbor, Maine and usually stay a few extra days when our rental house ends. The hotel is perfectly situated to access Acadia national park from the brown mountain entrance. Also, the village of northeast harbor is charming and not teeming with tourists.

On our most recent visit, we were put into a city view suite...room 123. The noise on Sunday morning was just horrible...the room is above the kitchen & the screen door was slamming as workers entered and noisily greeted each other from 6 to 7 a.m. Most frustrating was a manager screaming for coffee service. Do not get this room.

The handling of our problem was perfect. They moved us into the cranberry house across the street as soon as the wedding crowd of the previous night departed. We moved into a king suite which was fabulous at the same price as our queen suite. The next two nights were heaven.

Last comment: kids menu should be improved. Food, in general, is vastly better and the dining experience is lovely. We will return to the asticou next year.

Room Tip: Try the cranberry house first floor king suite...awesome.
2  Thank TexasTram
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Pros- location. I liked that we were not in Bar Harbor, but just a 5-7 minute drive from it. Also, the Asticou Gardens are across the street and it is absolutely beautiful. We had a King suite which was large enough to accommodate our family of 5. I actually liked that we had no tv in our room! Nice view of the harbor (if you get a harbor view). The staff, for the most part, were adequate. Housekeeping staff was the most friendly.

Cons- The common areas need more comfortable furnishings and also it needs to take advantage of the view. There are only really 2 areas to relax in. One is an area within the lounge and it is only an uncomfortable sofa and loveseat. The main common area has a sofa and 2 seats that face a fireplace rather than taking advantage of the nice view. There is a dining room table near the windows, but during our entire stay a man sat there with his son on their computers (I heard he was the owner of the inn?). Of all the New England inns I have stayed in, this was the worst for lounging. As well, there could be some nice sitting areas set up outside, but all I saw were a total of 4 Adirondack chairs.

Our bed was not very comfortable. The pull out sofa was awful as was the old-fashioned cot. The chairs in our suite were also old and sagging. The bathroom is VERY small. And like previous reviewers, we had a major problem with the claw foot tub/shower. The shower curtain clung to my body while I was in the shower and there is nowhere to put the soap and shampoo bottle. I had to put them in the sink and open the curtain to get to them which got water all over the floor which I then had to clean up. Our room did not face the harbor, but I thought that would be ok. Until the morning came......by 7:00 am each day there was much commotion outside in the driveway. One day it was the laundry company and another it was the staff that was moving tables and chairs outside for an event that evening. Our windows were open since it was a little warm the week we were there so we could not close the windows.

I would definitely not stay here next time I visit the area. Needs some work.

2  Thank alostyankee
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Few amenities. No TVs in rooms. Poor cell service in area. Maid service just OK. Staff very accommodating. Small elevator that staff operates. Peabody restaurant is overpriced and poor and slow service. Hotel has a historical value but really overpriced for what you get and where located. Not a place I will book again.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Buddo46
Reviewed 6 August 2012

The Asticou is a phenomenal place to stay. The customer service is amazing- they really go out of their way to make sure you have a good time. The scenery is great- it's on a hill that overlooks the bay and there's a fantastic deck. Also, their restaurant Peabody has some of the best food- pricey but well worth it. The inn is furnished with antiques so if modern is your thing I would suggest staying at a different hotel.

Just as an example of their extraordinary customer service- I had my wedding here and one of my bridesmaids forgot her dress in Maryland. She paid to overnight it but it wasn't going to make it in time. Without ever saying a word, Tom (one of the managers) drove out to Ellsworth to meet the FedEx driver and quietly placed the box in my room. It took us awhile to figure out how the box got there. This was above and beyond the call of the duty and the rest of the staff follows suit as well.

Room Tip: Be sure to read the descriptions about all the rooms as each is different.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Northeast Harbor
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center
Lindenwood Inn
Lindenwood Inn
#3 of 5 in Southwest Harbor

Been to Asticou Inn? Share your experiences!