“Come for dinner, then LEAVE!”
Review of Asticou Inn

Asticou Inn
Reviewed 17 July 2013

My significant other and I recently stayed here to scout the Inn as a potential destination wedding. The Inn and the grounds are certainly lovely. We loved the big front porch and the bar in the back as well as the refreshing pool. Dinner was spectacular, and our server Vance entertained us all evening.

Unfortunately, that's where the positives stop. We had a small room not facing the water (as we booked). Be warned that on hot days, this side gets the afternoon sun. There was no AC, which we expected (but actually our B&B in Bar Harbor did have AC). Our room must have been 90 degrees when we arrived, but instead of some fans being out and in the window, they were shoved in the closet. The room never really cooled down. The bed was uncomfortable and the headboard was broken. All of these things we could chalk up to "old world charm", until our toilet started leaking from the base, making a big puddle on the wooden bathroom floor every time we flushed. We told the front desk staff and left for some time. When we returned, a towel had been placed around the base of the toilet. We went back to the staff to ask why, and they said that there was nothing they could do until the next day. Even though there were vacancies, we were not offered a room change, nor a discount, even though we asked! We just kept hearing "I'm sorry, there's nothing we can do."

Needless to say, we will not be having our wedding here. We can't imagine asking our friends and family to pay $250-300 a night for a shoddy room with terrible hotel service. Everywhere else we've stayed on Mount Desert Island has been phenomenal for a fraction of the price. Surely for that much one could count on a working toilet.

Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Kels2003
Mark P, General Manager at Asticou Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 25 July 2013

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Asticou Inn. I’m sorry to see any of our guests disappointed, as you clearly were on this occasion. Let me apologize for the experience you had, and assure you that I take these matters seriously.

I expect the Asticou Inn to exceed the expectations of every guest, and I am confident that we can restore your impression of our inn should you return to Northeast Harbor. I encourage you to contact me directly at mark.phillips@ushotelsgroup.com.

There are newer reviews for Asticou Inn

Reviewed 8 July 2013

This inn is known as "the wedding factory" for a reason. There're often 2-3 weddings going on every weekend! If you're part of the wedding crowd, you're probably happy enough you're giving a good review.

But if you're not part of a wedding, you can be forgiven for thinking you don't belong there, no matter how the inn stacks up in providing accommodation.

And if you arrive mid-week, when there's no wedding going on, you get the gorgeous inn mostly to yourself. And you probably also got a deep discount in your rate, perhaps with a few goodies thrown in. Well, it's a nice inn!

That was my situation. I arrived mid-week when there's no weddings. But I was looking to stay over the weekend as well. On the phone, I was fairly warnned about 2 weddings on the weekend I wish to stay. On hearing my silence/hesitation, a discount was offered. It was attractive enough (15% off) that I decided to take it. And upon check in, I was offered a upgrade to a room with a harbor view! What a gorgeous view it was, colorful garden in the foreground, blue water bay framed by green hills on both side and the ocean stretching all the way to the horizon!

Rooms were not huge but reasonable. Some might say charming. It definitely have character. But there's no AC, not even a fan. And the windows were small. So ventilation was poor on hot days, which unfortunately it was when I was there. Resting in the room midday was entirely out of the question. Though to be fair, that's mostly the case with almost all the B&B and older style inns. So nothing out of ordinary here

Whatever others' complain, I was in 2 rooms (pre/post upgrade). Both bathrooms were spotlessly clean and functional. On the negative side, they didn't make my room for the 2 nights I was there! No new towel, no new shampoo, no emptying of trash can. But since I didn't make any mess and was going to re-use the towels anyway, I didn't make a fuss.

Restaurant: This is where it really falls down. The price is high. So one expect gourmet dining. And the setting definitely led one to believe that's the expected standard. But the dishes came out very un-even: some dishes were excellent but quite a few was poor.

The service staff, probably hired through some agency from the poor part of central Europe, spoke only so-so English. They can take orders alright but anything more demanding was a challenge! They can barely explain what's in a dish. They didn't even know the standard of when a dish is done (fork/knife on one side) vs taking a break (one on each side). That's not for a restaurant that the minimum entree cost $30-$40!

The "executive chef" seems to favor dishes that have multiple parts (oyster 3 ways, lobster with scallop etc) and generally complicated preparation. But a dish will arrive with one part execellently prepare but the other parts under or over-cooked! (hint: if you're going to call Lobster resiotto your "siginature dish", make sure the rice was fully cooked!). The chef seem to like to create unusual dishes, but didn't seem to care as much about the result. (one dish was extremely salty, it actually highlights it further with more salt everywhere!)

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
4  Thank A T
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We just had our wedding at the Asticou last weekend and I cannot say enough good about this place. We knew when we booked last year that this inn would offer us spectacular water views with the privacy we desired and although the weather did not cooperate, this place exceeded all expectations. Lucila and her staff were extremely attentive the entire weekend; they were one step ahead on every detail, especially coming up with a rain plan, and pampered us all along the way, all the while putting any worry at ease. Chef Steve is amazingly talented and there was not one complaint from our 115 guests; he even offered complimentary fruits and pastries during breakfast and came out and greeted guests. I read some older reviews on this site with food complaints and I can tell you that Chef Steve is new and has completely changed the menu. Again, no complaints and the food in his restaurant is fantastic, and not at all over-priced. Comments from my guests during the wedding were all positive and they were amazed at the courtesy and promptness of the waitstaff and bartenders. Rooms are in fact all different as other reviews suggest but everything was very clean and the housekeeping staff is excellent. Room descriptions on the website are helpful in booking; the suites are spacious and some offer separate sitting rooms, pull out sofas, porches. Staff are available to answer all questions. You will not be disappointed with the Asticou!

Room Tip: Read the room descriptions on the website to help make room choices; water views are indicated which...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2013

The Asticou Inn overlooks Northeast Harbor. The Front Desk staff, Concierge and housekeeping staff were friendly. Our accommodations had beautiful views of the harbor and a porch. This is a large, old style summer Maine hotel that rambles across its well-gardened grounds with a main building and several outer buildings. There is internet service but you feel removed from the larger world here because there is no tv in the rooms. The dining room offers 3 meals daily, and afternoon tea is also served. The heated pool and tennis court kept my children happy. This was a wonderful place to stay while visiting nearby Acadia National Park with my family.

Room Tip: Consider asking for a room with a view of the harbor and a deck.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank djsb131
Reviewed 3 February 2013

I performed here for a wedding ceremony & reception. This is a very quaint Inn located in Northeast Harbor, Maine. The view is remarkable, the garden area is very nice, the food is excellent, and the service was good. I also had the pleasure of working with one of Maine's finest professional photographers. The outdoor deck was an excellent place for a reception & dance area. I highly recommend this Inn for anyone planning on having a nice wedding reception.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed 8 October 2012

My wife and I returned recently to the Asticou for our anniiversery. We went there on our honeymoon 20 years ago. It was very nice then but things, as they say, have changed. The room was shabby and almost totally lacking in privacy. The food was poor and absurdly priced. I paid $12.95 for some rubber eggs and cold toast. At check-out I noticed a $13 fee for each day called a resort fee. When I asked what it was I was told "Oh, just another fee..." I recommend that you stay somewhere else. There are several very nice places in near-by Bar Harbor.

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
20  Thank dfarrington
Reviewed 27 September 2012

This hotel was opened in 1883 and was clearly rather grand at the time. Sadly, not much has changed since. Pride of place must be given to the elevator, surely the oldest still working, manually operated, room for three people. The rooms are spartan, and the bathrooms elderly. No TV or coffee makers. Lovely location, views over the well kept gardens, tennis court and pool, and out to the harbour. Reception rooms spacious and comfortable. I suggest dining in the village of Northeast Harbour. If you want to experience a once fine establishment with fairly high prices, this is the place for you.

Room Tip: Ask for ocean view
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled with friends
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center
Bar Harbor Manor
Bar Harbor Manor
#8 of 41 in Bar Harbor

Been to Asticou Inn? Share your experiences!