“Historic inn away from the hubbub of Bar Harbor.”
Review of Asticou Inn

Asticou Inn
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The best thing about the inn is its historic charm and tranquil setting overlooking the harbor. It is also right near Asticou and Thuya gardens, which I highly recommend visiting. We didn't have a five star experience, though. The small room had a chest of drawers that didn't open readily - cheap, not historic. The same can be said of the old sink with separate hot and cold faucets. The hot was "historic" appearing, the cold faucet a Walmart quality replacement. Bed was very comfortable. Grounds of the hotel well kept. Morning coffee service was lousy. Staff were polite.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SummerTripper16

Reviewed 26 July 2014

Great place to stay in Acadia area. Staff is outstanding. Great food in the restaurant. Family friendly location. We had a great time during our vacation. You can bring your own wine and hang out in lounge with a view to the harbor.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Kamesh S
Reviewed 25 July 2014

I recently spent two very peaceful nights at the Asticou Inn with my 17 year old daughter in June of 2014. I can't say enough good things about the Asticou Inn. The staff, in particular the young man at the check in desk, are very kind and welcoming. The atmosphere is really that of a turn of the century Bed and Breakfast with a deep wrap around porch, old fashioned door keys, creaky stairs, fireplaces in all the rooms, wall paper, soft live music in the dining rooms, soft lighting, and just simple peace. The inn is situated on the shores of one of the bays with fishing and sail boats visible. At night, you can hear a bell ringing in the distance possibly from a lighthouse? Most rooms (possibly all) have a small balcony that is perfect for winding down on after a long day of hiking. The young man at the front desk upgraded us to a suite with a small living room because he saw that we needed more room. He didn't charge us a thing for the upgrade and was already one of the nicest people that we encountered on the trip even before the upgrade. The smells from the restaurant were lovely for breakfast and dinner but we did not eat at the inn. We will next time. Lastly, there are no televisions in the rooms. There is free Wi-Fi so my teenage daughter was not too horrified. :) Overall, I recommend this hotel for families, couples, solo travelers, or anyone really that doesn't mind the quiet and serenity.

Room Tip: Ask for a suite with a balcony. There is no elevator so large suitcases are a bit cumbersome on...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 24 July 2014

I do all the hotel reservations in our family because, to be frank, I'm quite good at getting the best location for the best price. If you're traveling to Bar Harbor, Maine, this is the hotel to stay at. I live in Wisconsin and booked this hotel sight unseen for my son and his new bride, who didn't think making hotel reservations for their honeymoon would be important (...had last minute regrets and allowed me to make reservations---which was the best call on their part). I was able to get the midweek special--two nights and a free dinner. When my two honeymooners got home, they had rave reviews for this hotel. The hotel staff was incredibly accommodating when I called to ask for information about the area (research.....!). They even upgraded my kids to a suite and had a bottle of champagne for them in the room when they were alerted that this was a honeymoon! The kids (they're 27 and 26...kids to me) said their dinner was fantastic, they could spend time walking the trails of Acadia Park because it's so close, and the location was quiet, which they loved. This is a historic hotel open only in the summer. When doing my research on the hotel itself, I was able to figure out that some of the accommodations (mostly in the larger inn) might have small bathrooms or dated interiors; my son and his wife stayed in Bird Bank just off the main inn and were very happy with their room. The honeymooners said this was the best hotel that I had booked for them for their Maine experience, and they would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: If you have special needs, call the hotel directly. The staff service is excellent.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2014

We drove into Acadia around 6pm. We were checking out the area and happened upon a gorgeous turn of the century lighted porch. I asked my daughter if she'd like me to check to see if we could afford to stay and she replied, "yes." This was her graduation present trip. She wanted to see Acadia and climb mountains with evergreens touching the ocean. We had arrived. We reserved a room and drove north to Bar Harbor. Upon entering the beaten path we looked around and decided we had found the perfect place to stay and went back to the Asticou where Brandon and the staff were completely accommodating. You do need to walk up to your room but they will gladly bring anything you need. They had the toothbrush my daughter needed behind the desk. They helped us with any maps and info we needed of Mount Desert Island and filled us in on the local hiking information we needed. We had a lovely breakfast overlooking the glorious Southwest Harbor, and two days of strenuous hiking and complete rest. We even climbed the Beehive. Very challenging. Straight up a rock wall on wrought iron rungs. The bubbles and the rock ravine down to Jordan pond and trek around to Jordan Pond House and glorious popovers.

Room Tip: We stayed in a gorgeous suite on the second floor overlooking the harbor. 133$ per night. reasonable...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 July 2014

I was here with a group while hiking in Acadia NP. The setting for this inn is simply superb (perfect for a wedding, I think). The village is not really within walking distance, though. On the other hand, the free LL Bean buses can take you to Bar Harbor. Food at the restaurant was great, though service was a bit slow. I would definitely return here!

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We enjoyed this historic hotel right in the middle of Acadia Natl Park. Early June visit meant that the Azalea Garden next door was in full bloom. We had to walk up two floors to arrive at our room but the view was worth it.

Room Tip: Sit on the porch to enjoy the view of the harbor.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Atlantic Oceanside Hotel and Event Center
Lindenwood Inn
Lindenwood Inn
#3 of 5 in Southwest Harbor

Been to Asticou Inn? Share your experiences!