“Chef Bret a big hit!”

76 Pleasant Street
Ranked #1 of 15 Restaurants in Norway
Cuisines: American
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Romantic
Description: There was an excellent article written in the Advertiser Democrat on Dec 16th, 2010 with background, descriptions and pictures. This could become one of the best restaurants is Maine...no kidding. Excellent menu, outstanding food, and reasonable prices = a great wining combination.
“Chef Bret a big hit!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 October 2013

76 Pleasant St. is one of our favorite places to eat in Maine. We arrived there tonight and learned that Chef Jeremey had moved on. Amy told me that Bret was doing to cooking. I was a little concerned. Filling Jeremy's shoes would not be an easy task.

I started with the crab cakes. My wife had the shreded brussel sprout salad. I moved on to the chicken and shrimp pad thai.

The food was absolutely fantastic. Chef Bret is working his butt off in the kitchen and Amy is making it look easy in the dining room. Wine was great. Prices are moderate and a great value.

This is the BEST place to dine in western Maine.

• Visited October 2013

tennessee
“Understated elegence”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

76 Pleasant Street Restaurant is a rare find. A beautifully restored house with eclectic art work and soft jazz playing in the background is a perfect accompaniment to the menu. We were a party of five and sampled a good deal of the menu. My roasted Cod on a bed of butternut squash was superb. This restaurant is on a par with Primo.

• Visited October 2013
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Never even got to eat there”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2013

I made a reservation for 76 Pleasant Street about six weeks ahead of the date we were to dine there because our time in Maine was limited, and I really wanted to try the restaurant. We had a lot of other activities planned for our visit, so when I called to make the reservation, I requested an 8pm reservation but was told that 7:30 would be the latest time they could accommodate. I don't think it was an issue of table availability because the person who answered the phone told me it wasn't necessary to make reservations so far in advance. In any case, I agreed to the 7:30 time and was excited to have it on our travel schedule. When the date of our reservation finally arrived, we realized at around 5:30pm that we would not be able to make the 7:30 time, so we called to let them know and to find out if we could still be seated if we arrived later. The initial response we got was a flat, "no." When we explained the situation, which was that we were about 2 hours away from Norway and still needed to stop and check into our inn before going to dinner, they agreed to seat us at 8:00. After hanging up the telephone, though, we had such an unpleasant feeling about the whole experience that when we realized that even 8:00pm would be difficult to make, we called back when we were back in cell phone range and canceled the reservation. The response was and "ok" and then they hung up on us.

I completely understand that it was our fault for not planning well enough to make it to the restaurant in time for the 7:30 reservation. I guess I just wish that they had been a little less mean about the whole thing. I feel badly that they lost a table on a busy night and we missed our chance to eat there. My wife used to work in Norway and was excited to see that there is a newer upscale restaurant there, so we were just really sad not to be able to make it.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank UltraEJ
abake, Owner at 76 Pleasant Street, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
We are truly sorry for making your wife uncomfortable on the phone. Our goal is to make everyone as welcome and comfortable as possible. Thank you for taking the time to review us.
Maine
“Wonderful Experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013 via mobile

This lovely restaurant delivers outstanding food at a reasonable price in a comfortable setting. The owners, who also serve as waitstaff are charming and warm , and put you at ease. Our meals were fresh , beautifully presented, and delicious . The appetizer was superb - a crostini with escargot , flavored with sambuca. The salmon entree was cooked perfectly, with a crisp skin. The restaurant offers a great wine list which offers great value for the price. We have dined here several times and the quality and hospitality are consistent . It is highly recommended.

Visited October 2013
St. Michaels, MD
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great find in Oxford Hills”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2013

A chance inquiry at the local bookstore led us to hike up the hill to see 76 Pleasant Street and try for a reservation. We decided to come back several days later when they could accommodate us and our anticipation of something extraordinary was well rewarded. The restaurant itself is housed in a stately Victorian home which has been tastefully restored, retaining much of its original charm. Sited on a sprawling hillside property, tastefully planted beds and a beautiful barn welcome arriving diners. Dining rooms are intimate and not overly decorated. Original architectural details were highlighted in the restoration. We found the wine list to be eclectic, and they happened to be out of a hoped-for favorite Chardonnay. Bread for the table (flown in from California!) was fresh tasty - as it should be. Appetizers were varied and generous portions were served. Entrees were cooked to perfection--scallops with a nice crust on the outside and creamy on the inside, and filet mignon cooked to a turn with a yummy sauce. Desserts were artful--our creme brûlée was classic. We enjoyed chatting with the proprietor about her ties to Maryland. We are in the hospitality business (B&B) and appreciate attention to details. We will certainly be back whenever we are in town.

• Visited August 2013