“Terrible experience”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 30 August 2013

Mt family and I walked into the restaurant to see that there was about 5 or 6 tables taken in the entire cafe. After being ignored for several minutes, a hostess came over to tell us that if we did not have a reservation it would be an hour wait.the hostess also informed my family and I that they were very understaffed. Not a welcoming experience.

1  Thank ehg91

Reviewed 10 March 2013

This place is great, although we have only been here for Brunch a few times, the eggs benedict is the best in the area, and I highly recommend them. We usually get an appetizer, mimosas, eggs benedict and after that and tip we are close to $100, but I think it is well worth it.
My only complaint is that when my wife and I go there we always sit outside, and it seems that they seat the older crowd on one side and the younger people on another. I may be paranoid, but since my wife and I are in our twenties we were always getting seated on what I believe to be the young side. This actually seems to make sense in theory, but a couple of times we ended up sitting next to what I assume were Colby kids who were out partying the night before and talk about how "intense" the prior night was. I feel like I am eating with a bunch of Paris Hilton wannabes (That sounds much harsher than intended, but it gets the point across). Last time we asked the hostess to seat us at a table we picked and she was more than happy to do so. It made the meal much more p[pleasurable.

This is in the top two best restaurants in the area, I highly recommend.

1  Thank Eric O
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is a very nice and clean place to eat and the service was good with nice people. We went for Sunday brunch to celebrate a birthday. I had lobster eggs benedict and they were very good. My only complaint, they were a little cold. The lobster meat had been frozen and was not warmed through. If the lobster meat had been sauted for a couple of minutes in butter before being placed on the english muffin, I think this dish would have been excellent. Still, a very nice place to visit.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

The first thing I noticed was the smell of clean wood as we entered the lobby. The entire place is clean blonde wood making for a bright and airy feel of comfort. The server was friendly but there was quite a wait for our food to arrive. My daughter's scallop stew was good with sufficient scallops and rich broth. The two panninis that were ordered were on home baked bread almost like a focaccia and sported a fair amount of meat and condiments. My mom's Reuben was a little light on kraut and the corned beef a bit dry and was on a grilled textured rye that had good flavor. I ordered a special of the day, a pulled chicken barbecue sandwich. There were good chunks of tender chicken well coated in a tangy, sweet sauce with just the mildest bite. This was served with a small cup of baked beans that were somewhat overdone.
All that sounds over critical for what was really a very good lunch that should have been served more promptly. The ambiance was very nice and it was fun to explore the market next door that featured a wine room and a variety of baked goods, cheeses and even toutiere pie.
I would give it another try.

1  Thank Carl L
Reviewed 13 June 2012

It has been awhile since I have been to Riverside to dine in for lunch, as I typically don't have a lot of time at lunch. First, the service which used to be extremely slow (my main reason for not dining in), was very good today. I could see that other wait staff were equally as friendly and on the ball as ours. The other good thing, no, amazing thing, was that I got a pint of portabello mushroom with roasted red pepper and goat cheese soup to take home which was just as every other soup I have tried at Riverside- very impressive and delectable, with wonderful quality ingredients and seasoned to perfection. I have never had better soup than at Riverside. Highly recommended!

The bad- I have frequently gotten slices of quiche to go from Riverside in the past, and they have typically very good, creamy, with a good balance of egg mixture with additions, and a slightly crispy crust. Today, I first tried the quiche with bacon, onion, and cheddar. Being a bacon lover, I could not believe that I actually felt there was too much bacon. The pieces of bacon were too large (even curly, not at all crispy) and the pie was mostly globs of bacon, with very little egg mixture. I did not notice onions or cheddar. The quiche was overcooked, with part of the top being black and the little bit of egg mixture being dry. They then apparently microwaved the quiche too long so the whole thing was also soggy. I asked to try another quiche, as the quiche I have had in the past has been so excellent. I was told their quiche has mostly additions and little egg mix but I decided to try anyway, again as I have loved the quiche in the past.The spinach quiche was equally disappointing. It was like eating a plate of cooked spinach, again so little egg mixture that it did not even seem quiche-like. The top crust was so overcooked the parts could not easily be chewed- rubbery. And it was even more microwaved and soggy than the last piece. Very disappointing. Bring back the good quiche!

My husband got a crabcake sandwich which he liked because it was not heavy and greasy, though a bit spicy for his taste. He got strawberry lemonade which he found too tart, and added another packet of sugar, but otherwise good.

I have kept the restaurant rating as very good, as I think they overall have been in the past and don't want to downgrade too much on this one experience. I noticed they have a very nice dinner menu now, which I would like to try sometime soon.

1  Thank TNinME