“Mixed luncheon experiences”

Cuisines: American, Italian
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Reviewed 7 May 2014

On the recommendation of others, I've been to the Cafe a few times over the past two months at lunch and have had varied experiences with the kitchen and service. The most current afternoon saw our order take an inordinate amount of time to get prepared, although the restaurant wasn't half full. And, one of the dishes arrived "over prepared" with the protein actually crispy burned, yet brought out and served, nonetheless. The special for the day, a bar-b-qued and smoked pork sandwich, didn't have a significant depth of flavor or deep alteration rind usually associated with good old smoked pork. And, the meat was quite dry, although made more palatable with onion on a ciabatta roll. This meal is in contrast with another luncheon a few weeks ago where the Rueben sandwich was well prepared and timely in its delivery, which it should have been because only 4 tables were filled that afternoon. Overall, though, this past experience was disappointing and will make us think twice about returning this summer.

1  Thank LopingianTravels

Reviewed 8 December 2013 via mobile

We had brunch and dinner here several times in summer 2012 and really enjoyed each time. The service and food was great. Unfortunately, this summer we were very disappointed. We took my parents for dinner for their birthdays and spent well over $200 on food alone. My daughter's steak was not edible. Very tough-she could not cut it or chew it. Our server did not ask how anything was, or I would have told her. My fish was dry and flavorless. We were not offered to order drinks. The server was rushed. We probably won't return. I don't mind paying well for a great meal, but we didn't get it here!

1  Thank ragrant2006
Reviewed 1 November 2013

Even if you think this restaurant is out of the way, make the trip. This place has the most delicious food around, hands down. And ask for Amber ask your server.

1  Thank Sethgree
Reviewed 31 October 2013

Tucked out of the way on a not so busy street close to Colby College the restaurant is a great stop for lunch. Excellent sandwiches and salads are presented with some style. The service was attentive and personable. Deserts are worth the trip alone. Prices are reasonable.

Reviewed 21 October 2013

The Riverside has usually been very good either for lunch or dinner. Recently we came in the evening to the Riverside for my wife's birthday. I had some duck breast. It was tasty but overdone, not at all rare as one should find magret. My wife's dish...veal piccata.. was a disaster. It was pasta with a piccata sauce and cut-up veal. The pasta was also overdone and the veal fragments made the meal virtually unidentifiable. Of the many trips to the Riverside this trip was the worst. We would be hard pressed to visit ever again.

1  Thank Robert L