“dissapointed”

GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Tampa, Florida
“dissapointed”
Reviewed 2 September 2007

We were so dissappointed with the very long waits for breakfast, the no closet in the room and the tiny sink area so there was little space to put your things. Parking was a problem as there is just not enough. Room is clean but small and we paid top dollar 187.00 for a double with nothing extra - no frig or ironing board. The staff could care less. I heard a man reporting that his car had been broken into right next to one of the buildings and they didn't even sympathize with the poor guy who had his gps, ipod and prescription sun glasses stolen. We will not be back. I wish I had checked this site before booking.

• Liked — it was clean and the bed comfortable
  • Disliked — the breakfast and the room size
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled as a couple
2 Thank olivejo
Meadowmere, Hotel Management at Meadowmere Resort, responded to this review, 18 September 2007
Dear Guest,

It is with our apologies to respond to your posting. We appreciate your business and thank you for trying our resort on your last stay.

We understand that hotels do vary greatly - however, we invite guests to visit our well maintained website to help them decide if our independent, family run resort is the best choice for their accommodations. Our site lists what our rooms do have and we encourage guests to call with questions if a particular in-room amenity, such as a fridge or room size, is of great importance to them during their stay.

It is our pleasure to provide our guests with a complimentary breakfast during the high season that includes homemade baked goods, local favorite Congdon's donuts and Maine made Seacoast Coffee - brewed fresh every day. Our breakfast area is a busy facility in the morning, just as any local breakfast restaurant would be, as every guest wishes to eat and begin to enjoy the resort and the area on their vacation. A hostess is present each busy morning to greet guests and assist them with enjoying their free breakfast.

Although it is difficult to fully address what a guest may overhear and assume is the full conversation, we encourage all of our guests to lock valuables in room and vehicles during their stay for their safety. Should an unfortunate incident occur, we are certain to contact the Ogunquit Police Department at the guest’s request. Our town has an excellent and very responsive Police Department, who always follow up directly with the hotel as well the guest and who are skilled and trained in handling such matters.

While we regret that there were concerns during your stay, our hotel continues to receive numerous compliments on our suite choices, grounds, service and amenity areas from our long standing customers.

Thank you for sharing your opinion.

Hotel Management

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Newton
Reviewed 26 August 2007

After a very pleasant initial stay 2 years ago, we booked again for a 1 night stay prior to a family reunion in the area. with the exception of the swimming pool(s), our second visit was underwhelming in almost every way. Among the specific issues....

- Our group was traveling from multiple locations but only 1 car parking is allowed per room. Additional cars require 10$ additional fee for parking on the other side of Rt 1.
- Our 2 bedroom apartment was arranged such that the bathroom access required passing through one of the bedrooms.
- An large insect was found in the bedding in one of the rooms
- Quality of food in the pub seems to have declined since our last visit.
- Noise from Rt 1 was continuous and annoying
- One of our rooms had several maintenance issues including towel bars detached from walls, non-working light fixtures, offensive odor from the heating system (...yes it does get cold in ME even in August!).

IF planning a future visit I would recommend ...
1) Avoid the older building closest to Rt 1
2) Avoid the "2 bedroom apartment" setups unless you are really sure about the floor plan and location of the unit. The only advantage is the rather sparsely equipped kitchen.
3) If you aren't planning to cook, get two rooms side by side instead of a two bedroom apartment. Cost is almost the same and you will have two bathrooms, two parking places, etc.

On the plus side, Jonathan's is still right next door. You can get a good meal (somewhat expensive) without taking a drive in Ogunquit weekend jams! Makes for a relaxing first night meal after sitting in Rt 1 traffic!

• Liked — Pools
  • Disliked — Rooms
1 Thank jimlNewton
Meadowmere, Hotel Management at Meadowmere Resort, responded to this review, 14 September 2007
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments on our swimming pools and convenient location next door to Jonathan's Restaurant. We appreciate your business and thank you for staying at our Resort when visiting Ogunquit.

We understand that parking can be difficult when the hotel is full. For 25 years, our hotel policy has been to allow one car per reservation to ensure that each guest has a spot on property. This policy is posted on our website for guests who make online reservations and is included in our confirmation letters for guests to refer to when preparing for their trip. To assist those guests who must travel with additional vehicles, we have arrangements with Jonathan's Restaurant for additional parking at the economical rate of $10 for 24 hours. We apologize for the inconvenience this policy has caused you during your last stay.

While we are disappointed that your room did not meet your needs, please be assured we follow a 100 point inspection program for each room and have many wonderful compliments on our cleanliness and upkeep. Should you wish for a larger suite on your next visit, our Family Suites are a popular choice - though we will be happy to help accommodate a request for two rooms as well.

Thank you for sharing your opinion - we look forward to your next stay.

Bar Harbor, Maine
Reviewed 21 August 2007

Being the General Manager of a Hotel I get very nervous when travelling and only picked the Meadowmere for the fact that they did not require a 3 night minimum during my stay. I travelled to ogunquit for a short vacation to a relatives wedding in the area. My husband, 9 month old daughter as well as my mother and father booked two rooms. Within the few days leading up to my mini-vacation I kept reading these terrible reviews on this site....needless to say I started getting nervous, but agian being in the hospitality business I know not everyone has the same experience. My first impression was that they used every speck of land to their advantage...but they are right on rte 1...this wasn't a problem for me, i wasn't expecting a large lawn or beach. Upon checking in, it took a minute for staff to stop talking an a gentlemen waited on me - I must say a smile from all front desk personel when a guests enters the door is a small effort that makes a big difference (no i didn't get that) the gentleman who checked me in (stuart i think) was very polite and nice, however I was extremely surprised when they told me they could not transfer the deposit which held my room to my parents reservation...considering one credit card was used for both rooms...and I didn't want my parents paying for my room, I was told this transaction would have to be done amongst our selves...I still can't believe their system won't do this..but anyway..I don't like to complain...so I let it be and ended up settling the transaction amongst ourselves. The room was adequate, slightly small but fine, the balcony was not even worth the space it took up but at least offered some fresh air. Whomever blocked our rooms obviously did not know the hotel layout..we were supposed to be side by side and yes we were - with a hallway and a staircase inbetween our rooms, again no big deal. I felt that the meadowmere was exactly what I expected, it is not advertised as a beachfront location or being right in ogunquit, No I wouldn't consider it luxury, but it was comfortable and I fell one of Ogunquits more reasonable establishments. When you travel in maine you have to realize it is seasonal and you end up paying more for less. I would recommend the meadowmere and would stay there again, however if I was management I would suggest that the staff read the reviews on this site...it seems to be the most common problem. A friendly, outgoing staff member can almost always turn around a guests displeasure with the hotel. again not as bad as some people have stated!

• Liked — I was comfortable and convenient
  • Disliked — seemed crowded only due to space issues on the property not people.... cant really fix this
Quebec City
Reviewed 17 August 2007

My family went to the Meadowmere resort for the second time this summer, because we enjoy almost all of its features. For us, it's close enough to the beach, it has things to do if it rains (hot tubs, pools, game area,...) and customer service is just fine. Although this time, it ended on a sad note for us.

In our arrangement with the resort and in the confirmation letter we received, it was said that the total price for our stay would be 1 450$US. Finaly, we were asked to pay 1 798$US, to our surprise.

After we were back home, we tried to get in contact with the manager to have an explanation, but after 3 weeks now, we are still waiting for answers. We are CAA members and we contacted them so they could help. Well, it has now been more than 10 days and even they can't get any answers.

Of course, sometimes, prices do vary. But more than 300$ is just too much for us. We advise that if you make the choice of staying at this resort, you make sure you are not overcharged!

voyagunquit

• Liked — Not having to care for breakfast
  • Disliked — it is expensive!
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
2 Thank voyagunquit
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your compliments on our convenient location to Ogunquit Beach and our Resort amenities. We appreciate your business and thank you for staying at our resort when visiting Ogunquit.

We understand that difficulties with billing can be distressing - particularly when booking through a third party or travel agent. However, please be assured that we are always happy to review a reservation and explain any questions that a guest may have - from the first's night stay plus tax deposit to the check-in authorization for incidentals to final billing. Should any inaccuracies have occurred, we will work to correct the situation and are always happy to do so directly with the guest and also with the travel agent if needed.

In this instance, our General Manager was contacted on August 16th by the travel agent and began researching what may have occurred, assuring the travel agent that a reply would follow in a timely manner. Our apologies if that information was not relayed to you and for any inconvenience that this may have caused.

While disappointed that we were not contacted directly to fix your account for you and that we were not allowed the time to research the billing prior to this posting, we did resolve this issue for the guest on August 20th, in four days time.

Thank you for sharing your opinion and thank you for your visit.

toronto
Reviewed 13 August 2007

As the previous reviewer, we also had a very bad experience with the Medowmere Resort. Within an hour of arrival we wanted to leave even though we had booked to stay for 5 nights. The staff was completely unsympathetic and we were told we would be charged for the 5 nights even though we were totally unsatisfied. The staff seemed to be completely used to people wanting to leave and quick to point out that you can leave but you will be charged. Unlike the whispering sand dunes promised on the website, what you get is an overcrowded, busy environment overlooking the main US Rte. 1 highway. The swimming pools and hot tub areas are way to small to accommodate the amount of rooms, leaving you to try and wedge yourself in if you are that desperate to swim. 50 people in a pool area only big enough to accommodate 10 is not my idea of a relaxing resort atmosphere as the website suggests. I cannot judge the contintental breakfast included, since an hour's wait for breakfast was too stressful. Now the accommodations themselves. We did get the jacuzzi room we had booked. However, the accomodations were barely adequate. The bathroom was so tiny, the sink is in the bedroom area, the bathtub/shower a leftover from the 70's or that's how old it looked. The closet space was non-existant since it had been overtaken to install a small fridge, leaving room to hang up 2 items at best and nowhere to put luggage, forcing you to leave it all over the room. The lighting fixture over the sitting area did not work, we asked the staff for new bulb, they spent time trying to figure out if needed new bulb or where the switch was, then even more time trying to figure out how to replace the bulb. Now for the jacuzzi---------extremely difficult to get into and no bar support, so be in top physical shape or else. Unless you are under 5 ft. tall, forget it being a 2 person jacuzzi. 3 of the jets did not work and the tub lost water level during use-----well we found out where it lost it to---------it flooded the reception area. Well at least we were then able to leave the next morning without being charged for the next 4 nights. However, now stuck with nowhere to stay the rest of the week was 1 night here and there and 8 hours travelling time each day---------not the relaxing vacation we planned. The Medowmere experience ruined our vacation. And bottom line, extremely overpriced, poorly misrepresented, zoolike atmosphere, not for anyone over 25 without children.

• Liked — available internet to book next accommodation
  • Disliked — everything else
6 Thank purrtuff
Meadowmere, Hotel Management at Meadowmere Resort, responded to this review, 15 August 2007
Dear Guest,

It is with our apologies to respond to your posting. We appreciate your business and thank you for trying our resort on your last stay - our suites are often noted as a favorite in Ogunquit for the in room Jacuzzis and quaint Maine feel.

We understand that hotels do vary greatly - however, we invite guests to visit our well maintained website to help them decide if our independent, family run resort is the best choice for their accommodations. Our location is well noted as 74 Main Street, Route 1 which is 1/3 mile south of Ogunquit center and 1/2 mile from Ogunquit Beach, where many people enjoy walking the dunes on their vacation to the area.

Upon check in at 4pm on your day of arrival, the amenity areas would be busy with our many guests enjoy the pools, Jacuzzis and more. Our numerous well cared for amenities are often the choice for families visiting the area, like yourself, on vacation. Our rooms, from standard to luxury, are maintained on a continuous basis in a classic New England décor, which some guests rave about and have purchased from our vendors for their own homes as it suits their tastes.

Occasionally, as is the case in any hotel, bulbs burn out and Jacuzzis can have difficulties. In this circumstance when the situation was brought to our attention at 10pm, we promptly attended to your needs and offered an upgrade, which was refused. When it was expressed that the only solution suitable would be to depart early, the manager waived all remaining charges and promptly allowed the departure. Unfortunately, we cannot be responsible for availability in the general area.

While we regret that there were concerns during your stay, we appreciate your business and thank you for sharing your opinion.

Maine
Reviewed 12 August 2007

The hotel was fantastic. It was extremely clean. The staff was very friendly and helpful. They have a great pool.

• Liked — How clean it was.
  • Stayed January 2007, travelled with family
Williamson
Reviewed 9 August 2007

We stayed at the Meadowmere Resort from August 6-8, 2007. We had booked a queen room with jaccuzi tub. Upon check-in, we were told that we could put our things in the room but there was a problem with the jaccuzi and repairmen were working on it. No problem we just left our luggage and toured the resort. It is quite large with a number of buildings. There is a indoor pool which we did not use, a roman tub, outdoor pool, outdoor hot tub, spa, exercise room and pub. After our tour, we checked the room to see if the repairman had finished. He had not and my husband asked how things were going. The repairman stated not so good, which left us wondering how long we would be waiting.

We then decided to ask at the front desk if there was another room available. A manager came over to help us and upgraded us for the night to the Honeymoon suite. Boy were we thrilled. We were celebrating out 25th Anniversary and this room was awesome with a fireplace, 2 person jaccuzi with steps to it, a king bed and fireplace. We felt very special! Though I cannot remember the manager's name, I do want to thank you again.

The following morning we were moved to the first room and the jaccuzi had been fixed. This room was also very comfortable and clean.

The only downside to the Meadowmere is the breakfast. Although it is considered enhanced, I found it to be mostly baked goods, bread for toasting, donuts and muffins. There was some cereal too. For some, this might be a fine, simple breakfast, but we prefer a little different when we are on vacation.

I would stay at the Meadowmere again.

Stayed August 2007