The Dunes on the Waterfront
The Colonial Inn(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$108
Gorges Grant Hotel(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$132
Sea View Motel(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$113
US$98
Groupon.com
Sea Rose Suites(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$140
US$136
The Admiral's Inn(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$97
Terrace by the Sea(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$164
The Grand Hotel(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$136
Ogunquit Resort Motel(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$108
Juniper Hill Inn(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$117
Travelocity
Meadowmere Resort(Ogunquit)(Great Value!)
US$113
All reviewsthe cottagestidal riverlow tidebedroom cottageadirondack chairsscreened in porchgrounds are beautifulguest roomswatching the sunrisepeace and quietviews are spectacularlonger staymorning coffeecoffee makeroff seasonrelaxing staygreat amenities
Reviewed 21 July 2009

My mom and I visited for a few days so she could have a vacation. The staff was friendly, the setting lovely and the accommodations very nice. The pool was the perfect temperature and a nice place to chat with other guests.
The Dunes has the feel of an old fashioned getaway. If you want a plethora of planned activities, this is probably not the place. But if you like shuffleboard, walking to the beach, sitting and reading a book then I recommend this place.
Ogunquit offers a trolley service about 2 minutes away, so you can just park your car and forget it if you like. Enjoy!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
5  Thank VanillaBrookline_MA
Reviewed 1 July 2009

I thought the advertizing was a little deceptive. There were no water views from our room. This would be a great place for families, but not couples! The pool is very small, and there is no beach access unless you take a row boat. Also, you need to take the trolley to get anywhere. The room was clean, but drab. It looked like everything came from a different yard sale. The grounds were beautiful, but how many times can you take a walk? The sign says AAA, but when asking about the rate we were told we got the cheapest rate for our 1 bedroom, no view, no kitchen, no fireplace, and the bathroom window painted shut. It was OVER $200 for the night. We usually go to the Cliff House, at least there is a true ocean view.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank boatinggirl
Reviewed 22 June 2009

We stayed at Dunes on the Waterfront for 3 nights in May as part of a holiday in New England. And what a place it is - highly recommended to anyone who is visiting the area.

For some reason the resort advertises itself as a motel, but that does it a disservice - it's significantly better than any motel I've ever seen. It consists of several clusters of little white cottages, many with their own white picket fences, sitting next to a coastal river that's separated from the sea only by a large sand dune.

You arrive at the resort and check-in at the reception centre, a separate building styled like a large cottage complete with fireplace, sofas, board games and books to borrow (free), complementary tea and coffee, leaflets and maps etc. And of course the receptionists. It's a great building and it's designed so that while you can go in to speak with the staff, it's not so intrusive that you couldn't go in and just sit there like it was the lobby of a large hotel, to meet your friends or enjoy a coffee.

Our room was just a few metres from the reception building, and like all the others it had its own car park space right outside. The room was very tastefully furnished, and had in fact just had a new carpet laid the previous day. The King bed was enormous, and the room also had a good sized TV, a quirky coffee machine, lots of cupboard space, a bathroom with shower and toilet, a little table and some seats. There was also a large heater / air conditioner that worked very quickly to heat the room up - in the mornings the room did get quite chilly if we'd not had the heater on overnight, but that's a feature of living in a wooden cottage when it's still cold outside!

Needless to say the resort was very quiet and peaceful, and we certainly weren't disturbed at night by any noise. The staff were unobtrusive but very willing to help whenever we asked for information at the desk.

We didn't use quite a few of the resort facilities, but they had an outdoor gaming area, a swimming pool, boats you could "hire" (no cost if I remember correctly) to row across the tidal river, and lots of the cottages had their own private outdoor sitting areas. When we checked in they offered us the option of an upgrade to a slightly larger room that included its own fireplace, but we decided to stay with the one we had booked. The hotel also has wifi which, as far as I remember, was free of charge.

The resort itself doesn't have a restaurant, but there's a little place across the road which serves a great breakfast, and quite a few options in the surrounding area for main meals. For the largest slice of cake in the world, I'd recommend a trip to Bessie's in Ogunquit itself!

The Dunes on the Waterfront really is a hidden gem, and I'd thoroughly recommend it to anyone looking for accommodation in the area. We will certainly return if we are in Southern Maine again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank so3003
Reviewed 21 May 2009

My first time on the coast of maine, and I stayed at the Dunes. At first I was a bit taken by the way it is set up and how it reminded me of the 50's. but with newer tv's and a great view i quickly lost thought of my suroundings in my room and focused more on the amazing scenery, the staff goes for beyond thier call of duty to make u feel like you are the only one there and the grounds people make the trip all the more worth the price as they comfort ur every need with a smile. A young maintenance person even took the time to come in and start my fire for me each night and I always woke to a fulI pile of wood for the next day. If i had to choose the one thing I liked the best it would be the way the staff helps ur every need. Isn't that what a vacation is for?

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank lizz2
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We stayed 2 nights for the Maine Coast 1/2 Marathon in mid-September. The Dunes is even more charming in person than their website shows. We weren't there long enough to rent a cottage, but had the 2-bedroom suite. It was only a couple of blocks from the very busy heart of Ogunquit, but was a world away with only the sounds of the ocean and the seagulls. The staff is very friendly and helpful, the rooms, even if a bit cozy, have obviously been well-maintained and freshly painted. The cottages are spread out just enough to provide lots of greenspace and views, even if you aren't directly on the water. We can't wait to get back!

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled with family