“Another Great Stay”

Ranked #13 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
New York
“Another Great Stay”
Reviewed 7 September 2008

Our family has been vacationing in Ogunquit for approximately 15 years and have been staying at the Juniper Hill for a majority of those stays. We returned this August. The grounds are nicely maintained, the rooms are clean and bright. The outdoor pools are well located and the hot tub is a pleasure. We have not used the indoor pool but you can see many people enjoying that also. My daughter enjoys the exercise room. Although the Juniper Hill is on Route 1, it is far enough back from the road to give a secluded feeling. There is a trolley stop right in front of the Inn. It is a quick 5 minute walk into town. It is a 15 to 20 minute walk to the beach, down a path through the back of the property and down a quiet residential road. Some people may complain that a 15 to 20 minute walk is to long, but it is relaxing (what's the rush) and certainly beats getting into a hot car and trying to find a parking space. The continental breakfast is above average, although we enjoy going across the street to Bintliffs or up the road to the Egg and I for breakfast. You can enjoy your breakfast in the building where it is served, or sit in front of your room on the porch, or go behind the main building where there are small alcoves containing patio tables, umbrellas and chairs. For the first time ever in Ogunquit, we had problems with people in the neigboring rooms, but the manager Alex quickly resolved the situation by speaking to them and then moving us to another room in another part of the property. Can't ask for anything more then that. We always look forward to returning to the Juniper Inn.

1 Thank AttnySteve

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Clemmons, North Carolina
Reviewed 3 September 2008

I still cannot believe I paid 244 per night for this motel. I expected a lot nicer than a "red roof inn". The rooms were dated, the breakfast was bagels and doughnuts in a cramped little room beside the pool. The web site said the pool was heated, but everyone there agreeded it was only heated by the sun. The "walking path" to the ocean is actually a 10 to 15 minute hike down a back road with houses. Upon leaving I asked the clerk where the rooms were that looked like the picture on the internet site, and was told " there are TWO rooms in the motel that look like that". This did not make my first trip to Maine a great experience.

• Liked — Leaving
  • Disliked — old dated rooms
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank druggist87
Philadelphia, PA
Reviewed 2 September 2008

Juniper Hill is a pretty motel (though they call it an Inn, it's more motel than anything else). I enjoyed the pools -- both indoor and out -- and excellent location but did not fall in love with the place as a whole. The rooms were plenty spacious but really need aesthetic updating. There was also a distinct musty, moldy smell. No matter how low we set the thermostat or how long it ran, there remained a thick feeling in the air. It is worth mentioning that this problem was much less noticeable in another couple's room.

Cleanliness is important and I felt that the JHI was sufficiently clean aside from one long brown hair I found on a towel. Otherwise, no complaints. No bugs, clean bathroom, decent shower pressure, nice Bath & Body Works complimentary toiletries, and plenty of towels.

Checking in and out were easy, parking was fine, and the complimentary breakfast was good. Coffee is available 24/7 in the main lobby.

The pools were nice but to access the indoor pool, spa, and gym you almost have no choice but to walk through the main lobby.

A computer is available in the lobby with free and very fast internet access. This was important to me since there was no detectable wireless in our room (or outside on the deck). An iPhone picked up the signal but my laptop did not.

The bed was acceptably comfortable. It could definitely be softer but I had no trouble sleeping due to discomfort. Noise was also never a problem, even with a crying baby in a nearby room. We only heard this when walking by their open window.

The local places to eat are fantastic. Generally a bit pricey for the budget traveler but otherwise very much worth the cost.

Overall: a well-located, clean, quiet, reasonably-priced, fancy motel. Just needs stronger wireless internet.

• Liked — Location, size of rooms
  • Disliked — Lack of wireless, musty/moldy smell
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank ifhts
CT
Reviewed 28 July 2008

We just got back from a stay at Juniper Hill and we were not disappointed with the motel. The room was very clean (yet still your basic motel room), the staff was pleasant, the pools were great, and location was prime. That said, the $233 a night, even in the middle of prime summer season, seemed steep for your basic motel room, but we booked last minute and were happy to get a room that wasn't nasty, especially with all the other amenities.

Stayed July 2008
Connecticut
Reviewed 10 July 2008

We loved the Juniper Hill Inn. I did hours of research looking for a place in southern Maine that was near enough to the beach but wasn't going to cost an arm and a leg. I looked at everything - hotels, motels, inns, b&b's, and I had ended up booking at the Mariner Resort. It had fabulous reviews and it seemed to suit our needs. However, I ended up changing them because I really wanted to be able to walk to the village and the beach. I am SO glad we did. We loved the Juniper Hill. I have to say, they were very nice and patient with me, as we changed our checkin/checkout dates several times. They never became exasperated or impatient with me, and I spoke with several different people. I was afraid we wouldn't get the requested 2nd floor due to the changes I'd made, and since they don't guarantee your request, but I was very happy to find we were on the 2nd floor. We were in the 600's building, which is the one on the end, closest to the village. We were on the end near the stairwell, and while we could hear people (especially children) walking (or in the kids' case, stomping) up the stairs, we were never woken during the night by it. The people who were under us told us it was awful, though, so if you do end up on a 1st floor that is right next to a stairwell, you may want to consider that.

Our kids are 10 and 12 and both boys, and we get to bed fairly early and rise at between 6:30 and 8:00, but our neighbors below us said we never bothered them at all, and they were impressed when they discovered we had kids.

The location was great. We walked to the beach and back twice in one day, and yes, it is slightly up hill on the way back, but no big deal. It was a 12 min. walk to and 14 min. walk back. The boys had no problem with it, but they were tired after several hours in the surf, so the next few days, we would do the drop-off by one of us and walk down, then one of us would walk back and return to pick up. I am not in the best shape and don't walk much at all, and the walk was nothing to me (I'm in my mid-40's). The path is very nice and wide, and the streets you have to walk are not frequently travelled and are nice, quiet streets.

The walk to the village was exactly 4 mins. I walked down and around quite a few times and I loved how close it was!

The room was nice. Nothing special - average hotel room - but the bath and body amenities were a nice touch. The bathroom must've been humid or something, though, because our bathing suits would just not dry when we hung them in there, but we used the chairs that are conveniently located just outside of your room along the outside corridor to dry our stuff, as did many other people. The beds were very comfortable - the best we'd slept in on this vacation (we also went to Rockport and Bar Harbor). The little fridge came in handy, and yes, having the extra vanity outside of the bathroom is a HUGE plus! LOVED it!

The inside pool was very nice. The kids used it a few times. We were there JUST before the 4th of July, so while there were plenty of people on vacation at this time, there was never more than one other family using the indoor pool while we were there. We only used the outdoor pools a couple of times, and they were nice as well. Both of them are pretty small, but they're well kept, with nice chairs and landscaping.

Since we were here during the high season, we thought there was plenty of room for people to have their continental breakfast. There were probably ten to twelve tables, so it's not as bad as, I guess, off-season when they're in the main part of the hotel. And yes, the continental breakfast, as previously described, is sparse. Donuts, muffins, cereals, bagels and oranges and apples. The donuts are very good, but I really try not to have (or let my children have) donuts for breakfast every day, so we only did the cont'l breakfast one day. The next day we tried the Wild Blueberry Cafe (very unimpressed - will leave a review for them, too) - expensive and nothing to crow about at all. The next day we went to the Old Village Inn right in the village. There was nobody else there. The waitress was very clueless, and I wonder if she's ever waitressed before, but the food was pretty good.

One night we ate at Varano's (in Wells), and this was very good. The next two we ate at the Grey Gull Inn (also in Wells). Partly because it's on the water, and if you go at 5:00, they have "menu madness" where everything on the menu is $17 (except the lobster). And my boys liked the fish they had (my older had salmon, as did I, and it was very good, and my younger son had Haddock, but didn't like it the second night - tasted bad).

The beach in Ogunquit is really something. I wasn't a beach person previously (we live in CT where we have beaches, but not as lovely as this). At high tide, it can be quite crowded, because there's less beach. But it's really only in front of the Norseman (where the beach parking, at $4.00 an hour, is located). But people are incredibly rude. I had someone set up a chair directly in front of me (I was on a large beach towel, and that's all the space I took up). The edge of her chair was actually ON my towel, and she put up an umbrella that virtually blocked the sun for me. Unreal. When you look back down the beach, it becomes much less busy further north. But when the tide went out, it wasn't a problem at all. One other nice thing about this part of the beach is that there are two rows of park-style benches under shade. A lot of the older people sit up here to stay out of the sun, and we did, too, for awhile. My 12 year old spent four hours in the surf one day. We discovered that a boogie board is a must for the older kids, but DON'T buy it at the store there on the beach. There's a place called Reny's down in Wells where they are $9.99 (as opposed to the $29.99 on the beach). You can rent beach chairs for $10 (w/ an add'l $10 returnable dep.), but who wants to do that when you can buy one for $20? You can rent umbrella's, too, but I didn't inquire as to the price.

Oh, one more thing - the buildings are set back off of Rte. 1, and while we were physically the closest (except for the Main inn), we never heard any traffic at all in our room.

Well, I tried to describe everything I normally look for when I read reviews, and am including (I hope, lol) plenty of pics of the property, but should you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me. We loved Ogunquit so much, we definitely intend to go back!

• Liked — Proximity and comfort
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
5 Thank doozer82
Ottawa
Reviewed 20 May 2008

We stayed at the Juniper Hill Inn during Memorial Day week-end and we had a wonderful time. Nicely located, clean, quiet and comfy motel. The only thing would be the breakfast. There were 3 tables for the whole motel, and not much stuff (donuts and sugar cereals, some fruits and coffee). Hopefully, there's Egg and I nearby, Raspberri's and other breakfast places. I would go back at the Juniper Hill anytime.

• Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Khalie
Boston
Reviewed 1 May 2008

This is a nicely located, and very clean and when we were there, quiet place. You can stay in the Inn building, or in one of two, doors-to-the-outside motel style rooms. We stayed in the motel room, which was nicely appointed, but very ordinary. We didn't get to see the Inn rooms because the Inn was full (in April!!) The beds were comfortable, the room had plenty of space for sitting, and a nice split bath (with one sink outside the main bath) and a fridge that was bigger than a minibar fridge. The property is on Rt 1 (the main drag) but set back from the road a bit with nice landscapping. The Juniper Hill Inn is located within easy walking distance to town and has a back path to a side street that leads to the bridge to the beach (this is a nice walk, up and down some hills, and doesn't take more than 5 minutes to get there. I was on a "girls get away" and my friend and I walked everywhere with ease, but we weren't toting kids or chairs to the beach, which might have been challenging.
We didn't get to try out too many other amenities, but there was an indoor pool , breakfast and gym offered. We had breakfast at Egg and I based on reviews seen here and it was excellent! We walked down to Perkins Cove, along the Marginal Way, into town twice and to the Egg and I and the length of the beach all inside 24 hours, so we felt (despite the grand Egg and I Bfast) that we didn't need to hit the gym!
The office staff was polite and helpful, and this was one of the few places in town that had some wiggle room with their minimum nights ( I have reservations for 3 nights in July at another Inn with a water veiw, but they wouldn't consider a one night stay when I called two weeks before arrival even though when we walked by that Inn during our stay they had vacancies!)

• Liked — Great walk to everything location
  • Disliked — bland motel style buildings and no water veiw
  • Stayed April 2008, travelled with friends