“Basic and pleasant”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Seacastles Resort Inn and Suites
Ranked #28 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Northboro, MA
“Basic and pleasant”
Reviewed 27 February 2013

We're old Ogunquit/York fans and have overnighted in most of the standbys....the Cliff House, Anchorages in Ogunquit and York Beach, and many others. Seacastles was referred to us by good friends a couple of years ago and it has been our hotel of choice when we stay in Ogunquit, almost always off season when their prices are dirt cheap.

Our room has always been clean and suite-like, with a divider between the bedroom and sitting room/kitchen which provides good space. No problems there. As a daily lap swimmer I enjoy their really good indoor pool. And the hotel is just across the road from an entrance to the Marginal Way. On our trip this past weekend the wi-fi worked well (a tad tricky to get going) and the staff was very pleasant. We like the fact that the property is near the center of town and just yards from a couple of very good restaurants.

Here are some relatively minor quibbles:

- they leave it to guests to turn on lights in the pool area, and the pool itself. I had a hard time getting this through my thick skull as it got dark and I could barely see what I was about to bump into. A sign is needed.

- the bathrooms now feature these new little tiny toilets and are a pain in the neck if one is tall, and given there are no grab bars anywhere in sight, a bit of unnecessary exercise to get up. They are too far from the bath/shower to be useful in getting in and out. I find this oddly common in Maine hotels.

- the shower area contains only one tiny grab bar, and that is to its rear, making it very difficult to navigate. I find this whole bathroom set up rather odd and could be somewhat dangerous.

- how about some decaf coffee, and some tea?

I have a minor disability and seldom ask for a handicap room, assuming there may be someone worse off than me. But come on folks, get in a couple of grab bars in good strategic locations. I did discover after a day that there are folding chairs in the closet one could use in the bathroom, but still no grab bars; just a creaky shower rod to use.

The overall laws of Maine strike me as odd as far as disabilities go. I noticed that new devices, at 6k apiece, are now required for all pools and hot tubs in commercial facilities to help customers get in and out. But many of the businesses and restaurants we visited had no handicap parking (which I needed during the snow storm that came up the coast while we were there). One hotel we stayed at on the coast a couple of years ago had a brand new building, but its bathrooms were totally without grab bars, stools, or anything helpful. When I wrote the owner to complain she responded that "we are in compliance with state laws." I guess that was for my lawyer in the event I slipped and killed myself. I don't want to make a big deal of this, but its only when customers are critical that things get fixed, or state change their laws.

Like another reviewer here I don't really like these deposit laws in Maine, particularly in the off season. We travel all over the country and most of the time find that hotels and resorts are far more flexible.. So a bad snowstorm is coming, the roads will be dangerous, and we are still out our deposit????

This all said, we would certain return to Seacastles, and I guess that's the bottom line.

Room Tip: Bottom floor. No elevators.
  • Stayed February 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank rkgood

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Ellington, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 February 2013

If only staying one night their "deposit" to hold the room it the total amount of the room cost. Upon reserving,they immediately charge the credit card for the total amount and invoice with the date reserved as the date stayed on the the credit card statement.
When I booked my reservation(March 16th overnight stay) I was told only half the amount of the room was required for deposit. I booked two months in advance, on Januarary 16th, my credit card was charged the total amount and on my credit statement it indicated I stayed on January 16th and the total amount of the rooms reserved was charged.... that gives them 2 months to play with my money..... obsured!!!

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank ann v
ManagerNorseman, Manager at Seacastles Resort Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
We require a deposit equivalent to the room rate plus tax for one night when the reservation is made. Therefore, if you stay one night, then your deposit for that night will be applied to your credit card when your reservation is confirmed. This policy is routine in resort areas and is certainly common practice for the majority of hotels in Ogunquit. There is no need for the buyer to be aware when reserving at our hotels because our policies are clearly stated on our website, rate sheets and confirmations. I am sorry if there was a verbal misunderstanding regarding deposit requirements when your reservation was confirmed.
Ludlow, Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

I have to preface by saying I didn't book this stay and was quite worried after reading the previous reviews, the negative ones are wrong. The place is geographically perfect for walking into town center or to the ocean, the parking is ample, the staff was helpful when we asked questions about local things to do, and the room was large and spacious, very clean, and properly equipped. This is not the ritz Carlton, but more importantly it isn't trying to be either. Ogunquit is a quiet eclectic new England beach town, and the Seacastles fits into this setting perfectly. I plan on adding this facility to my list of places I am comfortable and satisfied with, will return and will recommend

Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank ArmandN75
New York
Reviewed 10 December 2012

We reserved a room at Seacastles Resort in Ogunquit on 12/7/2012 for 2 nights. We went out after we reserved the room and, upon returning at night, noticed unbearably loud noise coming from the room above. There was no staff at the front desk so we could not speak to anyone. We were not able to sleep in the room. The sound seemed to be mostly running, jumping and screaming above us, along with some plumbing noises. The next morning we notified the “manager”, RICHARD, of the problem and told him we would like to move to a different building, away from the noise. Richard said he would move us if we paid more, since the rooms in another building were more expensive. We declined as we did not have additional money in our budget nor did we think it was acceptable for him to even suggest such a thing given the circumstances. Richard then said he could move us to a room in the same building, but upstairs. We declined because we assumed the noise would still be there. We told Richard we were going to find another hotel and asked for a refund. Richard told us that he would not give us a refund and, furthermore, he would charge us for the next night even if we left. Richard's attitude was such that he “had us”, since we signed for the 2 nights. It appeared as though he could not care less about our ability to use the room that we were paying for. In my opinion, he is absolutely the worst hotel manager I have ever met, and a very nasty thoughtless human being. It was one of the worst experiences of my life. We were made to feel trapped in a horrible situation and forced to “PAY UP” to get out of it. We stay at dozens of hotels each year and have never experienced anything close to this. We expected to be listened to and have someone try to make up for the situation, rather than act so arrogant and make us feel like dirt and try to get more money out of us.

We had no choice but to move to the other room in the same section of the hotel and the noise was not as bad, but still unacceptable and we were not able to sleep. Fortunately we were able to make it home safely, despite the sleep deprivation.

The astonishing fact is that Richard had other rooms available that would have solved the problem, but he would not make any concessions for us. When we explained that we could not possibly stay there he jumped on the fact that he is going to charge us for the room even if we go to another hotel, seemingly so proud in his accomplishment.

STAY AWAY

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank GBNSNY
ManagerNorseman, Manager at Seacastles Resort Inn and Suites, responded to this review, 19 December 2012
Thank you for staying at Seacastles Resort Inn & Suites. Although we strive to provide excellent accommodations and superior service, we sometimes fail to uphold our usual standards. Please accept my apologies regarding your recent experience. Should you wish to discuss this matter further, please contact me at dscibilia@ogunquitbeach.com.
David Scibilia
Burlington, VT, USA
Reviewed 2 December 2012

We visit Seacastles the weekend before Thanksgiving, which is a genius time to be in OGQ. Great weather (well, for the past 4 years). No crowds. Most things are open, in preparation for Christmas.

Also owns the Norseman out on the beach, also highly rated. Super, super professional. Excellent housekeeping. Amazing off-season package deal. We've already booked for next year!

Room Tip: 110 is the best. 104 is very good.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
Ashville, New York
Reviewed 20 November 2012

My husband and I stayed for 7 nights in a studio unit. The Seacastles was extremely clean and and the perfect location to stay in Ogunquit. It is located across the street from the entrance to the Marginal Way and is easy walking distance to all of Ogunquit's many shops. We love walking when on vacation, so aside from day trips to other towns, our car never left its parking space.
Our room was plenty large enough for us to "spread out" and the kitchenette was a great addition, as we were able to make a breakfast, have coffee, snacks, etc. without needing to leave the resort each time we wanted to eat. The indoor pool and hot tub were ideal for relaxing on a September evening. The staff were outstanding; very helpful in answering any questions we had. We have visited Ogunquit several times in the past, each time staying in a different hotel or bed and breakfast. We really enjoyed our stay at the Seacastles and more than likely will return there the next time we visit Ogunquit.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank NeilandBon
Guilderland, New York, United States
Reviewed 19 November 2012

Thurs. 11/8 Kendra took my reservations for my wife's surprise stay at the last moment perfectly. When Sat came to leave I called Seacastles and asked if the room had an ocean view. Richard the manager said it didn't but would upgrade us to a penthouse suite for no extra charge(I booked the deluxe pkg) The staff was WONDERFUL to deal with and the room overall was clean & perfect!we've been staying with the Norseman hotel "group" for 14 yrs and EVERY yr. they never fail to produce a perfect vacation stay. Thank you Richard, Kendra & Larry who told us about Seacastles RESORT( and it is a resort)

Room Tip: BEAUTIFUL VIEW from room 353!! Thanks again
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple