“Warm & Friendly stay in Maine”
Review of The Black Boar Inn

The Black Boar Inn
Ranked #10 of 26 Ogunquit B&B and Inns
Saratoga Springs, New York
“Warm & Friendly stay in Maine”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

A good friend was visiting from Seattle and I wanted her to see New England at it's best. There are lots of Bed and Breakfasts in old homes in New England, but very few get it right. John and Dwain do an exceptional job at getting it right! My west coast friend had never stayed in an historic home like this, and the wide plank floors and fireplaces really took us to another time. Dwain and John filled the house with antique peices to set the mood and lovingly showed us the unique details of our room (original wooden shutters that are hidden in the wall and slide out to cover the window if you want to sleep in). When we wanted to meet a friend for a drink in town, they recommended the perfect spot which was only steps away because the Black Boar is right in town. The beach is only steps away, too, of course, so we could walk for miles along the ocean if we wanted to. Beautiful! I will be going back!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
John J, Owner at The Black Boar Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Amy, it was our pleasure to give you and your friend from the West Coast a true East Coast Inn experience. We look forward to seeing you again here in Ogunquit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (85)
Niantic, Connecticut
Reviewed 18 May 2014 via mobile

The owners are lovely and make the beautiful inn and welcoming town even more charming. The gourmet breakfast and an easy walk to the beach and marginal way will start your day off right. We loved our quaint, private room with a view of the beautiful front gardens. We highly recommend the Black Boar Inn!

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
John J, Owner at The Black Boar Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thanks again for your kind words. Let us know when you will be travelling back this way and we will have a room ready for you!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 May 2014 via mobile

This lovely very old house has been turned into a charming and comfortable B&B. The owners, John and Dwain, just took over in the fall and go out of their way to make this a welcoming environment. We were in the Littlefield room, at the back of the Inn, quite large with a large,updated bathroom. There were even more closets then you would expect in an old house. Very tastefully decorated, excellent breakfast. Everything you could want from a B&B experience. The Inn is very close to the heart of Ogunquit and a short walk to the beach

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
John J, Owner at The Black Boar Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you so much for spending your special day with us - we will hopefully see you again before the warm weather season is over!
Sanford, Maine
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My cousin came across The Black Boar Inn trying to help me find a location for my wedding. The moment I walked in I knew it was perfect! The historically styled rooms were a fairytale for the making! Dwain and John were so accommodating, allowing me to use all the Inn's amenities ! My future in-laws were coming from Germany, the best man from Canada, and my daughters from college! We all had a bed to sleep in and bathrooms to get ready! Our personal favorite was the June Room. A private room with it's own entrance and our own private outdoor space!! I rented the entire Inn for the weekend at a great price!! The central location to town and to the beach could not be any better! Walking Marginal Way or eating at Perkin"s Cove - all within walking distance! Rather an over night stay, a weekend away, or a wedding day, I would highly recommend The Black Boar Inn...

Room Tip: The June Room!!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
John J, Owner at The Black Boar Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
It was an honor to host your lovely family from both the US and Germany for this very special event. We wish you both many years of wedded bliss!
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 7 May 2014

My bf and I had a delightful stay at The Black Boar Inn in Ogunquit. We were on a New England road trip for two weeks in mid-April, and, granted April is still a bit slow before the May summer crowds start trickling in, we were able to book a room here about an hour before arriving. We stayed here for two nights. Dwain and John were gracious, kind, accommodating hosts. They gave us tips and advice about where to go in and around town each day. They provided us with a breakfast menu each night with different options for the next day, both breakfasts being homemade and equally delicious. Our hosts also prepared a fire for us each night to enjoy into the evening (can it really get any better than that??). The bedrooms were cozy and warm, which was extremely important for me (a native Texan living in SF) when the temp dropped to the 20-30s and snow fell in the Northeast.

The decor in this lovely home was second to none. If I could, I’d recreate the kitchen in my own home. There’s a gorgeous wooden table in the kitchen, made for them by one of their close friends. The actual kitchen space is separated by old burlap sacks sewn together. There’s a little coffee/tea nook, available throughout the day, and complete with an iPod set up with relaxing music playing all day and wine glasses and a bottle opener should you have a bottle you want to open up by the fire :)

I’m sure there’s so much more I can go into detail about! I am already planning a return visit next year and, hands-down, will be staying here.

John J, Owner at The Black Boar Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Looking forward to your return visit next year - keep us posted.
Brewster, Massachusetts
Reviewed 3 May 2014

My husband & I went for a weekend away just to relax. From the minute we walked in the door I was taken...the inn is in pristine condition, the room we had on the first floor was spacious & very comfortable. I loved the fact that there was no clocks & no television in our room! I know there are televisions in some of the other rooms but we were thankful for the quiet as that was our intent for the weekend. Dwain & John were the most gracious hosts, so easy going & accommodating. The breakfasts were absolutely delicious & the dining room was a pleasure to sit in & take in the history of this beautiful historic home. We have already recommended the inn to anyone we've seen this week that has asked about our trip! We can't wait to go back. Thank you so much Dwain & John for your wonderful hospitality. We look forward to seeing you again.

John J, Owner at The Black Boar Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Marianne - thank you so much for your kind words - we look forward to your return to BBI and Ogunquit!!!
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our final stop on my husband and I's week long adventure was at this home-y place. We got in about 8pm and both John and Dwayne, the owners were there waiting for us. They were super happy and showed us around. Even offered to start us up a fire because of the cold night that was there.

We got in our room and it was very nicely done and very nice size. Very spacey. There were plenty of surfaces to lay things down on and to keep them off the floor. Our bathroom was huge as well, with a shower big enough for a small group. If you are expecting a bathtub though, I don't think there is one in any of the rooms of the inn.

As for breakfast each morning, we were given choices the night before and could have something different. I had eggs and potatoes one morning and then banana walnut pancakes the next. Each time it was wonderful. Along with it was fresh fruit and granola with yogurt, coffee, and an english muffin. Everything was warm and sent out at the perfect time.

The inn itself is located right on the edge of the village-esque town. We walked up to the shore in about 10 minutes and then looked at the shops. The wind that was going on kind of ruined it for me, but I still loved the shore and the scenery.

Hope to get back up here one day.

John J, Owner at The Black Boar Inn, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Kelsea - thank you for your wonderful vote of confidence! We hope to host you again here one day - stay in touch!