I chose this hotel because it was in the perfect location (it's in the center of town yet you can easily walk to the beach).
And I didn't care that the place is old - the stairs to rooms are steep and narrow, the rooms are small, the furniture is older, the rooms don't have phones, the bathrooms don't have any electrical outlets, there isn't a pool, and WiFi is available only in the main building in the evening.
But t seems like the owners are doing the bare minimum on the upkeep on this place. In our room, the cushions on our wicker furniture were stained (and they had already been flipped once as the other side had even worse stains), the bathroom faucet leaked, one lamp didn't work (which we told management and asked for a new lightbulb but never received one during our 5-night stay), one set of sheets and towels were stained, the stand for our fridge was ancient and badly rusted, and one bed had seen better days. Outside of our room, the screen of a screen door continuously fell out, the ceiling of the porch in our building badly needed scrapping and repainting, and an iron railing was badly rusted. The staff consists of college kids.
There are too many nice places to stay in Ogunquit and while I loved the location, we won't be back.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the tradition of Maine's summer resorts, the Marginal Way House has been welcoming visitors since at least 1911. Located on Wharf Lane, two blocks from the center of town, directly across from the Ogunquit Beach, the Marginal Way House offers incomparable views of the beach and coastline. Offering 3 types of rooms including hotel rooms in our Main and Wharf House buildings, ocean front rooms in our Dockside building, and efficiency apartments which are located through out our 5 building complex. Pets are accepted off season only ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers and Booking.com so you can book your Marginal Way House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marginal Way House Hotel Ogunquit
- Marginal Way Hotel
- Marginal Way Motel
- Marginal Way House Ogunquit, Maine