We booked the hotel on the day, as we were breaking the journey from Bangor, Maine to New York. The location is right on the waterfront and the view from the Wharf House is very pleasant. The Wharf House is one of the smaller buildings (there are several making up the hotel). The room was adequate, if a little dated in decor and fittings, which looked as if they had been gathered from several thrift shops. The main bed was comfortable, but the single in which my daughter slept had quite an alarming tilt, which was due to a collapsed divan base. Luckily it was towards the wall, so she did not fall out!
They do not do breakfast, and you have to walk over to the main building to get coffee as there are no facilities in the Wharf House itself.
The real irritation was that we were quoted a rate of $129 on the phone, but were charged $149 when we arrived. I queried this and was told that "the person you spoke to must have got it wrong - the tax rate changed today". This was a really transparent and lazy lie, as the rate did not include tax anyway and, when the bill was done, it included tax at the same rate we had been paying all over Main for a week! As we were too late to find anywhere else, we paid, but it left a bad taste - the man on duty the following morning was more pleasant and helpful, but his colleague (who disappeared outside for a smoke before we had a chance to ask about local restaurants) has already done the damage.
You may feel the location is worth putting up with the deficiencies, but make sure you get a witness to the quote you are given.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- In the tradition of Maine's summer resorts, the Marginal Way House has been welcoming visitors since at least 1911. Located on Wharf Lane, two blocks from the center of town, directly across from the Ogunquit Beach, the Marginal Way House offers incomparable views of the beach and coastline. Offering 3 types of rooms including hotel rooms in our Main and Wharf House buildings, ocean front rooms in our Dockside building, and efficiency apartments which are located through out our 5 building complex. Pets are accepted off season only ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Ebookers, Booking.com and Agoda so you can book your Marginal Way House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marginal Way House Hotel Ogunquit
- Marginal Way Hotel
- Marginal Way Motel
- Marginal Way House Ogunquit, Maine