“Takeout, eat in and convenience store?? Ummmm”
Review of I am Thai - CLOSED

I am Thai
Cuisines: Thai
“Takeout, eat in and convenience store?? Ummmm”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Where to begin... I'm not entirely sure why we stayed to eat here in the first place.... we should have known to leave when we saw the large square piece of cardboard taped down in the middle of the floor, a faux area rug of sorts. The host asked us if we wanted to sit inside or outside.. there are two picnic tables outside and a few regular tables inside, we opted for inside. He brought us waters, one of our glasses having a mysterious particle on the top.... We still aren't quite sure what it was. Once we were seated, our waiter(who seated us) no longer spoke to us. Literally he came up to the table with the pad of paper twice. The first he just stood there... we said just water... and the second time was to take our food order, I assume, because although he didnt say anything that seemed to be the next step. We waited for our food, our table right next to what I assume was the convenience store section with bottled drinks in a big fridge. Our food came, the portions were large however mine came with two spoons... when i asked for a fork the waiter brought it over, holding it by the base of the fork, the exact spot I was going to put my mouth. It didnt help that his fingernails were long and dirty and that there was no one else to ask for another utensil. My boyfriend was nice enough to trade forks with me. We both ate as quickly as I could, wanting to leave the awkward environment. The chicken got cold very quickly and definitely wasn't fully cooked... we picked around it and got the check as quickly as possible. Not great pad thai, no bad, simply mediocre but not worth eating considering everything else. The thai left us feeling sick for the rest of the day... So Zap down the street was a lot better, it was clean, the food was delicious, the staff was friendly, and the prices were about the same for a much better dining environment.

• Visited July 2014

Ayrshire
“Truly authentic Thai”
Reviewed 12 July 2014

Mainly aimed at takeaway trade but has a few tables so the accommodation is pretty basic. However, the food far outshines the premises. The kitchen can be seen from the customer area and is tiny but clean and the dishes we had were fresh and delicious.

Visited June 2014
Wilmington, North Carolina
“Great Thai in Maine!”
Reviewed 10 July 2014

This is a very low-key restaurant - don't come in expecting a lot of decor! That being said, the food was great. My friend, who works in NYC, said it was comparable to the great Thai there. Several of us had the pad thai, and I had the chicken entree with pineapple, peppers, mushrooms, and onions. The serving sizes were large, and prices were reasonable. Service was very quick as well!

• Visited July 2014
Omaha, Nebraska
“Great find”
Reviewed 27 June 2014

Went in since it was next to a lobster shack that we walked to which had closed early - what a surprise! Smells were wonderful and enticing, everything was fresh cooked to order.Outstanding noodle dishes and curry. Not a luxury environment - a couple of tables indoors and two picnic tables out on the front porch but great food, nice staff.

• Visited June 2014
Natick, Massachusetts
“Small with a few tables”
Reviewed 25 June 2014

I love thai food and this was cooked freshly for us to take out. It was spicy and the vegetables were very fresh. One portion did me 2 nights.

Visited June 2014