“Family run? No family values!”
Review of Above Tide Inn

Above Tide Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Above Tide Inn
Ranked #21 of 26 Ogunquit B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 September 2011

On August 7 about 7 p.m. I made a reservation for the following night for one night. Unfortunately my father was rushed to the hospital with a heart attack a few hours later and I called to cancel about 7 am the next morning--12 hours later! As a courtesy I assumed the "family run" owners would understand and perhaps give us a credit. Not only was I surprised to find a $50 bill on my credit card but the owner said she's HEARD THAT EXCUSE BEFORE! I'm happy to say my father made it through surgery but am saddened of the insensitivity and inhumanness of this owner.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
10  Thank Cheryl G
There are newer reviews for Above Tide Inn

Reviewed 19 August 2011

My husband and I spent two nights recently.
I will start with the positives.
Proximity to the beach.
Large balcony outside the room- even though it is over the parking lot and very close to the main road to the beach.
Now the negatives:
The room- which cost over $200/ night, was very small and very basic .the queen bed had a mattress that was rubber/ vinyl (??)on the top.
Horrible.
Besides being very rigid , you woke up feeling hot and wet!
There was no luggage rack for the suitcases- which had to go on the floor.
The bathroom was the smallest I have ever been in( other than a cruise ship- but at least they are nice) the toilet tissue was one ply.
No hairdryer in place( I had to ask )
The towels were pitifully thin.
Not acceptable when there are so many outlets nearby selling thick inexpensive ones.
The wafer thin soap was there , however no shampoo, conditioner or lotion.
The owner or his dad sat on the lower balcony all day , right beside the ice machine. Don't dare takemore than a small icebucket full.
In his defense, he sat there so no one except a paying guest , would park there.
Because the inn is next to the only road going to and from the beach, it is noisy at night .
Other than being close to the beach, it is not worth the $$$$.
Other places near by charge about the same , and are so much nicer.
We have been going to ogunquit for 30 years and have stayed on many of the places by the beach.

• Stayed: August 2011
3  Thank Fleuvee
Reviewed 12 May 2011

We had always been curious about the Above Tide Inn, so on the planned last day of our honeymoon, when we just weren't ready to leave, we walked into the office and asked if we could stay there for the night. They usually don't have one night guests, but there had been a cancellation and they gave us a room. They were so friendly and helpful, even taking care of my giant flower arrangement which barely fit in the room! We had a lovely time in our sweet little room. It is like being on a boat, so close to the water, lovely balcony space for every room, close to the action but very quiet. A great view of all the shenanigans on the beach. We loved it and can't wait to go back. Such a nice experience with the friendly owners. Such a good value for a sweet place right on the water!

Room Tip: I think they are all good!
  • Stayed: August 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank munkysmum
Reviewed 30 June 2010

Just returned from a 1 week stay at The Above Tide Inn, the Family that owns and runs it were outstanding, they were very knowledgable of the area, and willing to share it. The location was great being right on the Tidal River, Close to the heart of town, the beach and just a relaxing location. we would definitely stay here again and highly recommend this Inn.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Labsrus
Reviewed 7 October 2009

We loved the location of the Above Tide Inn in Ogunquit, ME. It is situated directly over the Ogunquit River where makes a turn to join the ocean. A quick walk over the adjacent bridge brings you to the amazing flat sands of Ogunquit Beach where you can walk for miles. From the small balcony of our room, we watched the wildlife, migratory birds and the local surfing community "hanging ten." The small Inn is also a short walk (1 block) to the main streets and shopping areas of the town. A foot trail leads from the rear of the property over a bridge and connects with Marginal Way, a dramatic oceanfront, mile-long walkway to the unique community of Perkins Cove. The small parking area borders the inn. Our second floor room was small and suitable for one or two people only. The stairs are not covered and are steep. No frills here, but very sunny and clean room with a small tv mounted on the wall, a wicker chair and small bureau. There is a small refrigerator in the room and an ice machine on the lower porch. A continental breakfast of juice and quick bread or muffins was served from 8 am to 10 am. The coffee was excellent. The service folks (actually the owners) were friendly and not intrusive. I requested a hair dryer and was given one. In the summer when the beach is a magnet for thousands, the location of this inn would be busy and probably noisy. But we enjoyed the beauty and solitude of this off-season weekday getaway. We enjoyed most our small, covered balcony with chairs and table and great view; least, the bed which was very hard and covered with plastic. I recommend the inn for short stays in the off season.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank nanag
Reviewed 16 August 2009

We stumbled onto The Above Tide Inn 14 years ago and have been staying there every year since. The Inn is owned and operated by a family who takes great pride in providing simply appointed and meticulosly clean accomodations along with excellent service to insure a fun, stress free and relaxing experience for its guests. They serve a continental breakfast with home made baked goods each morning. An added bonus has been meetting up with some of the same guests year after year who have come to be good friends. The Inn is so well located that we park our car and don't move it for the week as everthing is within walking distance (beach, restaurants, shops, etc.) Just a great place!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VTBTV
Reviewed 7 August 2009

We called The Above Tide Inn to stay for 3 nights and they quoted us a rate- with extra for our children which we happily agreed to. We sent a check and they called us back that they made a mistake by $60 night and told us they would send our check back-only TWO weeks before our trip! We had planned to stay here because of the proximity of the family with whom we were vacationing so this spoiled our entire plan! I called and explained but they were extremely rude and told us "Sorry" we made a mistake and won't honor the original price. We were saddened that they would not honor their word and by their cold reaction. When asked where they would recommend- they said "call the Chamber of Commerce" so that is what I suggest you do. We simply don't want anyone else to have their vacation plans ruined as a result of their error and resistance to honor their word.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with family
8  Thank TravelerOgunquit
abovetideinn, Owner at Above Tide Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2009

The husband showed up to the inn and booked in person and was verbally quoted $225 plus $60 for a room for four people. When I received the deposit I realized that he thought the room was only $225 per night so I called to clarify. I apologized for any error and offered to refund their money. From booking the room to refunding the money (the entire deposit) only seven days had passed. I recommended the Chamber of Commerce because they would know where a room for four people (for only $225) would be located.

I still stand behind refunding their money and I did not think the verbal assault from the wife was warranted. After that phone call I am pleased this family will be staying elsewhere.