“Great location, bad experience.”
Review of Above Tide Inn

Above Tide Inn
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Above Tide Inn
Ranked #21 of 26 Ogunquit B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This quaint and perfectly situated inn, unfortunately needs nicer onsite management. It advertises continental breakfast which is actually a coffee cake or something similar. They don't put it or the coffee/tea out until 8 a.m. I asked for an itemized bill and the owner/manager told me that wasn't possible and seemed quite put out by the request. They also seemed put out when we asked for more towels (they gave us two and there were three of us staying in the room) and another blanket, (it was a bit chilly at night). They were nice enough to let our "visitors" (some friends came by for lunch) park in the inn parking lot, but then told us we couldn't park there the day we checked out and the place was almost vacant. He grossly overcharged me for the room and when I confronted him he literally started screaming at me-quoted me one price then charged me more when I got there. I agree with 'runnerfamily" -rude owners. I have never written a bad review before, but in this case it is extremely warranted.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Sandra M
abovetideinn, Owner at Above Tide Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2014

This person called to come a day early for her stay at the inn. She told us she did not like the price and would stay elsewhere. Within a few hours she showed up and said she was willing to pay our price. She understood the price of the room and chose to stay. We understand that our prices, due to our location, may be too expensive for some people, but she made the decision to stay with us at our price.

I remind my children (ages 3 and 6) all the time to be specific with their needs. I would suggest this person do the same. If two additional towels were not enough, then by all means tell us how many you would like. We are happy to provide people with the things they need for a comfortable stay, whether it is additional towels, pillows, or blankets.

I am happy she was grateful that we had additional free parking for her guests, but unfortunately we sometimes cannot accommodate more cars than we have reservations.

Reviewed 29 June 2014

This inn offers superb views of the water and comfortable, clean accommodations. It is owner operated and the owners are all pleasant and friendly to those who know how to behave in an Inn environment. It is not recommended for small children as the decks can be dangerous for the little ones. As with most small inns, it is possible to experience more noise than in a large hotel but, as long as you have responsible adults occupying the rooms, this should not be a problem. It does not serve breakfast but does offer coffee and a baked starter in the morning. Restaurants at the beach or the center of town, with its quaint shopping, are five minutes away. There are decks outside the rooms on both the back and the front with the front offering river (inlet) views five minutes from the ocean front. The back deck offers more shade while the front deck is facing East and offers the sun. So, if you like to sleep later, I would suggest the back rooms.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John and Judy M

It was once again great to see you both. Thanks for the kind words!

Reviewed 6 August 2013

Paper thin walls, could hear every whisper and snore of neighbors. Marshmallow beds. NO shampoo. NO conditioner. Cheap tiny cake of soap. No room darkening curtains for bedroom. Practically a ladder to climb to get to second floor. Cheap coffee and store bought "pastries" for breakfast. Save your money folks and choose another place.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
11  Thank runnerfamily
abovetideinn, Owner at Above Tide Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

I have asked TripAdvisor to remove this review five times now and they will not. I have looked at every reservation card for June of 2013 and not one person visited from Virginia. I don't even know how to respond to this person's comments.

Reviewed 17 July 2013

My wife and I frequent Ogunquit during the summer and this is our preferred place to stay. It is not an inn where you sit and meet others for breakfast. This Inn offers a good cup(s) of morning coffee and cake in the Office for take back to your room or deck which every room has outside their door. It is located over the river facing the beach and the ocean and is within a 5 min. walk to the beach, the center of town with its unique shops and restaurants. Once you park your car in the Inn's private lot, you don't need to get back in it again until you leave. You can walk to all places including the cliff walk, Marginal Way. You can also take the open air beach trolley to other nearby areas. The rooms are clean and comfortable and the owners are very pleasant and have a good sense of humor which any landlord must. Rooms in the front are sunny and overlook the water. The rooms in the back offer more shade.

Room Tip: Front rooms are facing the water and provide a lot of sun. There are a few rooms that have both bac...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank John and Judy M

Thanks again for the great comments. We are looking forward to seeing you both again soon!

Reviewed 2 October 2012

We found this place later in the afternoon and booked two interconnecting rooms on the ground floor as we had our son and daughter travelling on a road trip through Maine with us. I am in two minds on this review - the location of this quaint little place is outstanding. The front verandah is literally over the water with a beautiful beach view. It is within walking distance of the restaurants in town and the gentleman who owns the place, together with his son, were very pleasant and accommodating. The rooms were very clean and well heated.

That said, I have to agree with some of the points in previous reviews - the beds did feel more than a little firm and the rooms were quite basic. The "continental breakfast" was a cake cut into slices, coffee & orange juice - unfortunately my family needs a little more than that to start the day - we had to find a cafe for a real breakfast. For $245 plus tax and compared to the rest of the B&B's we stayed at over the course of the week it was a little on the expensive side.

Overall though we enjoyed our stay - ultimately the location makes up for the shortcomings.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Trontraveller
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Spent a few days at the "Above Tide Inn" in late July. Al, John and Meagan are wonderful and make you feel like you are part of their family. The inn is quaint, quiet and immaculate. The views from many of the rooms breath taking. The back deck is superb for relaxing and enjoying the magnificient views. The breakfast treats include delicious homemade breads/cakes and coffee. I can't say enough about the location. This is the place for me. I will never stay anywhere else again.

Thanks Karen

Room Tip: Rooms along the back have a large deck with breathe taking views.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
abovetideinn, Owner at Above Tide Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2012

Thanks for the great review! This guest traveled with a friend who had a room on the front deck so she enjoyed the best of both worlds. In the morning she was able to visit her friend's table on the front deck to enjoy the sunrise. Then her own room on the second floor faced the west so she could also enjoy the sunset. We can't wait for your next visit!

Reviewed 2 August 2012

My wife and I have been going to this family own Inn for years and always loved it till we got a room on the first floor and it ruined our stay.There's absolutly no insolation.You hear everthing from the room upstairs wich made me realised how much we must have been a nuisance the previous years to the floor guest.I really like that family, the place and the location.They are always nice and helpful but I just hope they'll fix this problem cause the do have THE location in town!

Room Tip: Never ,never rent a room on the main floor unless you sleep like a rock.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank blackwall01

I have waited a month to write this response because I wanted to see whether other guests in this room would have similar complaints. Not one person has complained and this room has not had a vacant night since the reviewers left.

Our inn has insulation in the walls and between the first and second floors. I think the unfortunate part of this reviewer's stay is that the people who stayed above him were loud and unruly. We spoke with the people in the room above and tried to address the issue. The reviewer also had words with them. it is unfortunate that another couple can negatively impact a couple's annual vacation.

The reviewer and his wife are wonderful guests and we will make sure they have their usual room on the second floor when we see them in 2013.