“Nice variety of different pizza”

Cornerstone - Artisanal Pizza & Craft Beer
Ranked #17 of 101 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: Pizza
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Enjoy gourmet stone oven pizza & hand crafted local & imported beer. Pizza & beer has grown up at Cornerstone. Enjoy the freshest ingredients; from our house made sausage to fresh Maine Lobster and local produce; on our home made dough, thoughtfully paired with craft beer for optimum flavor combinations. Dine in, order out, or enjoy our beautiful patio in the heart of Ogunquit.
Reviewed 19 June 2014

The restaurant had about 15 different pizza options. They all sounded so good -it was hard to decide. We ordered the mushroom truffle pizza and it was excellent.

We also had the pretzel appetizer. It was very small to share (especially for $4) - it was still delicious and comes with different choices for toppings.

Water was serviced in plastic cups. Suggest owners consider upgrade to real glasses and leaving water pitchers at the tables so wait staff does not have to keep refilling.

We liked how they leave cheese and hot pepper at the tables and you do not need to ask for it.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

Once in awhile travelers encounter proud hyper-local places that appear to believe they are bigger, better and more important than their paying customers. This seems to be such a place. There’s almost a local frat house mentality here, wrapped within what looks (from the outside) like a welcoming restaurant.

The prevailing culture of this tourist hub appears to be “quite stuck on itself,” and almost (!) oblivious to its need to please first-time visitors and frequent quests. (Certainly I don't expect to be delighted when I enter such a place. Realistically I set the bar at "be pleased.”)

Bringing to a close an otherwise relaxing and enjoyable day in one of my favorite small towns in Maine, here I was greeted and seated with smiles. Good. From this point everything quickly went downhill.

A wrinkled menu was tossed in front of me. Quickly I discovered the menu was not printed properly. No person could read the blurred descriptions under each entrée. Server looked at my menu, agreed it was impossible to read, and ripped it in half. We both laughed. I was still okay.

When no sweeteners were brought with unsweetened instant-tasting iced tea — just after the apologetic menu drama — I confess to surprise. The server turned and walked away so quickly I did not have a chance to realize I needed to ask for sweetener (i.e., request standard restaurant service).

The water-spotted flatware was wrapped so tightly in a thin-paper napkin that eventually I had to rip through the paper band — which tore the flimsy napkin — in order to free my eating utensils. I asked for an additional napkin. One was brought.

Then truly cold potatoes, cold vegetables and nearly tasteless baked scallops arrived. By the time the re-heated (made far too hot to eat) potatoes and veggies appeared, I was already finished pretending the scallops were acceptable. I chose to remain silent about the scallops. If I were not so hungry...

After touching the cold veggies, affable server Terra B. was quite apologetic (again). Later she announced that the manager (whom I did not meet) "discounted" the $19 entrée by $9 to apologize. From the way it was told to me, however, it felt like “a favor” was being done for a customer more so than an apology was being offered for bad service. The money became an issue. How a $9 price tag was placed on "compensating me" for the inconvenience, I’ll never know. A gently offered complimentary dessert and a cup of coffee would have been lovely. (I would have smiled and declined the dessert.) Until the $9 number was raised, I had not thought about money. I would not have thought about expecting or asking for a "discount."

The restaurant was almost empty on a cool-air Monday night. Yet the kitchen and server just could not get it together. Perhaps I should have known better than to trust a nearly empty restaurant to deliver good food and service. Often when there's no pressure on a kitchen, any restaurant's whole team can slack-off by default. Well, at least this appears to be what happened here. Or is this the norm?

With one or two service glitches I would not bother investing time to alert fellow travelers or a restaurant's owner. Here there were just too many odd things happening (including the inoperative “free” Wi-Fi that required manager to re-set the equipment — after two other customers and I reported inability to log-on).

Value is ultimately determined by buyers, not by sellers. Do the owners of this place understand this sales-and-marketing axiom? This restaurant seems to value itself more than it values customers. At the very least, during this particular evening, the restaurant appeared to need to re-think how it is representing Ogunquit’s rich history of warm and accommodating hospitality.

2  Thank JohnRDallasJr
Reviewed 19 June 2014

We had the mushroom pizza with arugula and truffle oil! Wow! Great beer choices are on tap and by the bottle. Service was very good.

Reviewed 19 June 2014 via mobile

Husband and I stopped in during a Mini vacation to Ogunquit. Intrigued by the great location and the wide craft beer and craft cocktail selection. Ended up coming here three times in two days... No joke! Service was pretty good. Everyone friendly. We loved the margherita pizza and the stuffed cherry peppers!

Reviewed 18 June 2014

My partner Sue and i dropped in to Ogunquit for a quick walkaround on Maine St.We dropped into the next door Village Food and Cafe to checkout the very good looking selection of baked goods and meats there..We then stopped in to the Cornerstone for a beer.Wow! what a nice selection of craft beers there and the bar tender was super friendly and we had a great chat.The pizzas all looked delish and we noticed those around us were enjoying their food.Next time we go through Ogunquit ,we are stopping here again.All the staff were very friendly.Recommend this place for food and beer to anyone.Cheers.

1  Thank david s