“A hidden gem for breakfast!”

Roost Cafe and Bistro
Reserve with OpenTable
Roost Cafe and Bistro is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #21 of 100 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Price range: US$25 - US$35
Cuisines: International
Good for: Romantic, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Ledge Road
Description: A warm and welcoming Cafe and Bistro where our philosophy is hand-crafted, a la minute entrees and appetizers that are exquisite, yet affordable. We pride ourselves on classical cooking techniques with contemporary flavors and creations that are perfect for a bistro. Our Summer hours are as follows: Breakfast/Lunch/Brunch: 8 am - 2 pm Pub Fare: 2 pm - 9 pm Dinner: 5 pm - 9pm
Reviewed 6 July 2012

While many restaurants have long waits and huge crowds on a summer morning in Ogunquit, Provence does not, and people do not realize what they are missing! Situated between downtown and Perkin's Cove on Shore Road, Provence has excellent food, reasonable breakfast prices, and wonderful service. The orange juice is fresh squeezed, and the jams are homemade. Don't forget to visit the bakery in the back after your meal!

Reviewed 4 July 2012

We had a sad breakfast at this semi-French restaurant, where the menu features "oeufs" and scrambled eggs in juxtaposition. The first attempt at cappuccino was a weak caffe latte; the replacement was, according to the waiter, a double shot of espresso and had a smudge of foam on top. English Breakfast tea and Darjeeling were both on the menu, but not in the box of fancy teas that was offered. The chef could not make up two portions of fruit, yoghurt and granola, because he was short of berries, and the granola was over-sweetened. The home made jams were weak and tasteless, scrambled eggs with truffle sauce came with sliced spring onions, but was otherwise tasteless, and the special muffin of the day, lemon with chocolate chip, had been re-baked, so that the top was bone hard and the inside a crumbly mess that fell apart. It took 30 minutes from placing the order for this monstrosity to arrive from the kitchen! The waiter continued to chirp, before, during and after the meal, asking us if we were enjoying everything, regardless of whether our mouths were full or we were engaged in conversation. In short, we found the whole place clueless and pretentious.

1  Thank Horace4590
Reviewed 30 June 2012 via mobile

We have been in Ogunquit for four days and have been dining at very nice places eating the popular fare. Tonight we decided to not prioritize lobster/seafood and pick the best placed could find. We hit pay dirt. I found 98 Provence via trip advisor.
We made a reservation and off we went.

From the moment we pulled int the parking lot it all started. We were greeted by a nice valet Parking attendant who took care Of my car. Try parking else where in town. We entered the restaurant and were warmly greeted by the hostess who immediately went to check on the availability of our table. While she checked we ordered a drink from the bar. When our drinks arrIved, so did the hostess taking us to our table. So far first class.

We were seated and given menus. Soon we were greeted by our server. She was warm, professional and very attentive. We studied the menu and selected two appetizers and two dinners. We had the quail and seafood soup. AMAZING! Bothe were wonderful in flavor and very generous portions. Love them.

For dinners we had the veal filet mignon and lamb. AgaIn both ere perfect and the accompanying veggies were perfect.

I wish I lived closer so we could dine here every week. We just returned from Paris 2 weeks ago and this was a wonderful review of our trip.

Don't be afraid to wander from lobster rolls once and a while. This is the best dining there is in Ogunquit.

1  Thank Bob P
Reviewed 21 June 2012

This place is worth a visit...the staff is well knowledgeable, atmosphere sublime (just like a cool bistro in Paris) and the food very scrumptious. Ample parking so don't worry....My husband and I had the Veal Filet Mignon, I would highly recommend it....the foie gras was good as was my appetizer...you won't be disappointed.

Reviewed 18 June 2012

I have been vacationing in Ogunquit all my life and had never even heard of 98 Provence. I got a recommendation to try it from Captain Jack of Silverlining Sailing in Perkins Cove, so I decided to check it out. (Captain Jack is a local and a foodie).
The atmostphere is lovely - feels like an old French farmhouse inside with charming provincial tablecloths, exposed beams and low lighting to set the mood.
The portions were surprisingly large. Although I normally stick to seafood when in Maine, I was already off the beaten path being in a French restaurant so I decided to go with the waiter's recommendation - veal filet mignon.
It was absolutely delicious, and quite a nice portion for the price.
My only critique of 98 Provence is the quality of the servers. We started with one waitress who was definitely not French and not knowledgable about the types of liquors that the bar carried. Our table was then handed off to a gentleman (the first waitress informed us later that a table she has served every year had arrived and needed all of her attention-well!). The gentleman, althought a nice guy, was the farthest thing from what I would expect in a gourmet French restaurant. He was sort of clumsy, not very well versed in the menu, and overall not a great server. I would expect more of a French chef who obviously put some real passion and effort into his food preparation (take a good look at the veggies on the veal plate and you'll see what I mean). Good help can be so hard to find, but I've got to believe Ogunquit has, and 98 Provence should demand, a higher caliber in their service.