We have been to Roberto's probably over 25 times and for many years...a favorite as we love Italian food...this time we saw a change:
1) Carefully chose restaurant for dinner after walking across the street at lunchtime during our walk to read the "glass menu box" to see if they still had the Sunset menu..3 course special...saw it and decided to go that evening Sunday May 25
2) Was seated and told no Sunset menu on holiday weekend..ok, I understand this...but why not take the sheet out of the window box so we know ahead of time...no effort to do so..
3) So...NO SALAD is included with entrees priced OVER 20.00 and for a standard chicken parmesan or eggplant parmesan..so we ordered it separately
4) the waitress was the nicest but not trained on wine service...never fill the glasses to the top and keep returning to the table to do this over and over...people like to sip red wine and let it breathe...slow ...not a rush...had to tell her not to pour our wine, could see this was a lack of training as she returned to the table frequently to ask how everything was...but a bit too frequent...the water filling waiter did this also...too many refills...need to space it out a bit...this is too much service, makes dining a bit uneasy....
5) freshness and taste of food...Marinara sauce did not taste fresh (lacking flavor)
eggplant parmesan hard to cut with knife, but flavor was lacking freshness...husbands chicken parmesan was tough and just not good in taste...
6) I have had many great dinners here, so not sure what is happening...different chef, prepared too far ahead ....
The ambiance is gorgeous as is the expanded dining room and new elegant tiled large bathrooms...but food is lacking, value is lacking, service is overdone.
After leaving we spent $100.00, and did not feel good about our last night in Ogunquit in choosing this for our last dinner.
Own or manage this property? Claim your listing for free to respond to reviews, update your profile and much more.