“not up to par...value-wise or taste”

Roberto's Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
Roberto's Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #48 of 98 Restaurants in Ogunquit
Price range: US$0 - US$30
Cuisines: Italian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Transit: Along Trolley line, stop right in from door
Description: Over the past 30 years, our family has brought you the finest in hand crafted Italian food here in Ogunquit Maine. We stock only the finest imported olive oils, select tomatoes from the Tri-Valley Growers in California, and fresh native seafood. Our greens, herbs and vegetables are delivered to our chefs daily and to offer healthy choices, we do not use ANY salt or preservatives in our Italian recipes. We take pride in selecting and serving our food in Southern Maine and have continued this tradition for over 30 years. We are located in a restored 1850 farm house with wide beams and pumpkin pine hard wood floors, several small dining rooms and two larger rooms. Enjoy our small espresso bar, where full liquor is available and local beers are on tap. Small plates of our gourmet dishes are also available. Have fun watching a big game on our flat screen TV while enjoying the warmth of our working fireplace.
connecticut
“not up to par...value-wise or taste”
Reviewed 26 May 2014

We have been to Roberto's probably over 25 times and for many years...a favorite as we love Italian food...this time we saw a change:
1) Carefully chose restaurant for dinner after walking across the street at lunchtime during our walk to read the "glass menu box" to see if they still had the Sunset menu..3 course special...saw it and decided to go that evening Sunday May 25
2) Was seated and told no Sunset menu on holiday weekend..ok, I understand this...but why not take the sheet out of the window box so we know ahead of time...no effort to do so..
3) So...NO SALAD is included with entrees priced OVER 20.00 and for a standard chicken parmesan or eggplant parmesan..so we ordered it separately
4) the waitress was the nicest but not trained on wine service...never fill the glasses to the top and keep returning to the table to do this over and over...people like to sip red wine and let it breathe...slow ...not a rush...had to tell her not to pour our wine, could see this was a lack of training as she returned to the table frequently to ask how everything was...but a bit too frequent...the water filling waiter did this also...too many refills...need to space it out a bit...this is too much service, makes dining a bit uneasy....
5) freshness and taste of food...Marinara sauce did not taste fresh (lacking flavor)
eggplant parmesan hard to cut with knife, but flavor was lacking freshness...husbands chicken parmesan was tough and just not good in taste...
6) I have had many great dinners here, so not sure what is happening...different chef, prepared too far ahead ....
The ambiance is gorgeous as is the expanded dining room and new elegant tiled large bathrooms...but food is lacking, value is lacking, service is overdone.
After leaving we spent $100.00, and did not feel good about our last night in Ogunquit in choosing this for our last dinner.

2 Thank chiantiConnecticut
KathyCammarota, Owner at Roberto's Restaurant, responded to this review, 27 May 2014
Dear Chianti Conneticut,
I am so sorry to read this review especially from one of our long time guests. I am familiar with you & your husband and sorry for your experience. I am sorry we did not have sunset special for you. I could have gladly made an exception, and I'm sure this was dissapointing for you. I have talked with the server regarding your experience. It's my understanding from your server there was discussion regarding the amount of wine to order. A 1/2 Ltr of wine was ordered to start, then another 1/2 ltr was ordered durng the meal. The server must order this per your request, thus the charge. I understand when the bill was presented you were dissapointed you were charged accordingly and we made the $10.00 adjustment for you. I am sorry that you did not feel the tomato sauce was fresh, I can assure you that we had just made our tomato sauce, esp on such a busy weekend. I wished you have voiced your concerns regarding the entrees, again the eggplant & chicken parmesean made to order, and if not satisfactory,we will always try to please.The server says she checked back several times, and no displeasure was made. Our mission is to make our guest great food. Our chef's have returned for another season. I wished you had given us the opportunity to correct anything that you felt was no perfect, as we strive for customer service. We would rather try to correct at the table then read unhappy reviews. Its not helpful for anyone. I hope you give us the opportunity to serve you again. With warm regards, Kathy Cammarota

Cambridge, Massachusetts
“Ok but overpriced”
Reviewed 24 May 2014

Menus has a large selection and service is nice. It has a kids menu too. But it is really overpriced and I say this as someone who eats in NYC a lot. I realize that they make most of their income only a few months a year and need to capitalize on that during tourist season. Food really is fine but not special

Dear Chianti Conneticut,
St. Catharines, Canada
“Italian--East Coast Style”
Reviewed 23 May 2014

I love Italian cuisine so even though I was in the land of lobsters I wanted seafood, Italian style. This restaurant would do well in any location. It offers a wide selection which would suit any appetite. Our meal was excellent which prompted us to visit twice in 4 days. Te service is vey good and the mood music contributes to a lovely eveing.

• Visited May 2014
KathyCammarota, Manager at Roberto's Restaurant, responded to this review, 22 June 2014
Dear Ms Pat,
Thank you for writing such kind words about your experience at Roberto's. We cannot thank you enough for your kind words. We are always trying to serve our guest with respect and good food. We take pride in our grounds & dining areas. We look forward to seeing you again should you travel back to our beautiful town, Ogunquit.
Warm regards,
Kathy Cammarota
Robertos
Rothesay, Canada
“Excellent”
Reviewed 21 May 2014 via mobile

Excellent meal, lobster ravioli was superb. Wait staff very friendly, loved Daniel!! Creme brûlée, so good! Will make this a regular stop when in Ogunquit.

Visited May 2014
1 Thank Krista2707
“Great spot for food, drink and friends”
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

We had a totally enjoyable evening at Roberto's. We ate in the bar area and the staff was extremely friendly and attentive. We had three appetizers with our drinks. Next trip we will come for a full meal! Well done!

Visited May 2014
Thank you for your kind words. We are happy that you come into our bar and enjoyed your experience. We love that you felt comfortable and took time to tell others. We look forward to serving you either at the bar or in one of our diing rooms.
Kathy Cammarota