“Location is the Saving Grace”

Aspinquid at Norseman Resort
Ranked #25 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Branford CT
“Location is the Saving Grace”
Reviewed 23 July 2014

Helpful criticism to follow......1. When I called the night before arriving, to inquire if shampoo and conditioner were available, I was told that 'if I cared about my hair I would bring my own'. Okay. 2. I believe this is the only place I've ever stayed in that did not have a full-length mirror, sorely missed. 3. I called the front desk for an iron, to be told that one would be brought over but 45 mins. later, as we were leaving, they called to tell me they had no irons available....4. I stopped in to the lobby for some tea in the morning, as advertised, only to find no hot water. You have to ask for it, and hand your cup over to whoever is at the front desk at the time.....5. 7:30 a.m., I asked where the gym was, which was met with a gasp, and a 'do you want to use it right now? I'm just getting things ready'....no, I'll wait...6. Beware, if you have teenagers, or others who like to sleep late......the corridors are vacuumed at 9:00 a.m.....7. I heard a gentleman tell the front desk that he had no internet, to which the front desk replied 'oh, we're working on this, it's a new problem (contrary to what others have written on tripadvisor).....we need a router, or something.....8. Ogunquit must be REALLY safe, as none of the outside doors to the building we stayed in, were locked at any time.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank jean8

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Worcester, Massachusetts
Reviewed 17 July 2014

I will say the best thing about the place is the location..couldn't be better and the employees are nice. The place is dated and over priced for what it is. We rented two rooms...one which was "remodeled" but could barely see any improvements. Great views...beds ok, could be cleaner. Found a dried tomato on my carpet and the draws in the vanity were all moldy. It's called a resort but it is far from it. Parts of the place were beautiful like the grounds, the flowers, pool areas was clean, but small details like trash under decks, and the other things I mentioned above need improvement. This place has such potential! Would I stay again? Perhaps? Would love to see this "resort" do better.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Kammy117
Quebec, Canada
Reviewed 11 July 2014

The Aspinquid certainly has one of the best locations in Ogunquit. The proximity of the beach and the Marginal Way, as well as the pool and flowers are among its main attractions. The air conditioning is also very efficient during hot summer days and the service is excellent. However, these qualities are not sufficient to excuse the dirt in the room in which we found many dead ants. In addition, we deplore the lack of kitchen accessories (a colander, a corkscrew and a pot large enough to cook a lobster would not be a luxury in a so-called full kitchen unit). The owners should consider refreshing the decoration of the rooms and especially remove the signs advising guests who do not do their dishes not hope to return ... In short, the Aspinquid has several qualities but could do better.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Reese463
Durham, Connecticut
Reviewed 26 June 2014

The best location that you can dream of for vacation. Ocean views, walk to beach, no parking problems, walk to places to eat, gift shops & market near by, and a pool for your enjoyment. It doesn't get much better that the Aspinquid. The front desk is there to answer any questions that you may have about the area and a fresh cup of coffee. We were lucky to have front seats for the Great Car Race where we viewed a hundred old cars, each very different. Another fantastic stay.

Room Tip: Call ahead to reserve your room- ocean or bay view,
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
3 Thank KenG01
Springfield ma
Reviewed 15 June 2014 via mobile

Despite some mixups with our reservation, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay here. We were supposed to be in one building but were switched to another because of renovations but Wendy did everything possible to make the transition as smooth as possible. She was very pleasant when asked questions and had a lot of information about the area. We were put in a renovated room which did not have much of a view but everything was new and it was very nice. One thing we cannot give 5 stars to is the WIFI. I know Wendy tried but the WIFI obviously does not work beyond the lobby. Hopefully this will be something they fix soon.
The grounds are very nice and there is a new gym, tennis court and heated pool. All in all a very nice place to which we would return since the location is PERFECT!
Thank you Wendy for going above and beyond with your hospitality. You are what made this a five star review!

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Ellen1216
New Haven, Connecticut
Reviewed 13 June 2014

Our trip was wonderful and the renovated rooms were so nice. I love the oceans view and had such a chance to relax. My bed was so comfortable. Wendy, the lady at the desk, was so pleasant and so helpful. I loved that she welcomed us back and even helped me with a bag I was carrying. In the morning, Bev was there for coffee, and it was great to talk with her. Will definitely be coming back

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara C
Albany NH
Reviewed 10 June 2014 via mobile

When you find a great hotel,do you tell the world or keep it to yourself? We decided to share our awesome stay when we say Wendy's handwritten note on the bottom of our check out receipt. While it not only thanked us for choosing the Aspinquid, she also wrote that she hoped we enjoyed our dinner at the nearby restaurant that she made reservations for us at. What hotel provides this kind of exceptional front desk service? None that we have encountered on our travels and that is what sets the Aspinquid apart and will bring back guests year after year.
Now that we have talked about the great customer service, we should mention the clean rooms, plentiful flower boxes lining the property, brand new gym, private balconies for each room,a garden,heated pool, tennis court and the most perfect location in Ogunquit. Mere steps from the quaint shops and restaurants of the downtown, it is also only several hundred feet from the ocean. This hotel also sits across from a charming foot path that leads to a little bridge by the riverside and is actually a small piece of Marginal Way.
So to recap, it has the location,it has the fantastic front desk (we are sure the rest of the front desk staff must be stellar but Wendy checked us in and out so she is the only one we met), it has the clean rooms all with a kitchenette,balconies and beautifully tended grounds. It really has it all, so why wouldn't you try it! Just leave room for us...we will definitely be back!

• Stayed June 2014