“First time....great time!”

Ranked #23 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Amherst, NH
“First time....great time!”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

This is a very pretty place with wonderful oceanfront views. I loved the breakfast outside on the wrap around porch with the ocean just steps away. I always like to find two sinks in the bathrooms so more than one person can get ready and this place has them. One in the large bathroom and one outside near the refrigerator.
We did not stay in the main inn, we stayed in an adjacent building hotel loft room #134. It was magnificent and had a wonderful view of the ocean and the sunrise! Get up before 5:30am and yes you will see the sunrise! I sure wished there was a computer for guests to use in the lobby and a coffee maker in the room or available so I did not have to go to the main inn to get coffee or tea before continental breakfast was served.
This is a place where you can walk to everything...beach, shopping, restaurants and the trolley stop. I rode the trolley all around Ogunquit and Wells and had a great time!
You have to try this hotel once in your lifetime!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
Wayland, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 May 2010

Decided at the last second to take the family up to Ogunquit. I was concerned that I was able to actually get a room within 24 hours of Memorial Day weekend. We truly lucked out by finding Terrace by the Sea. You can't get a better location right off the main street and right next to the beach. We did not spend a lot of time on the grounds but they looked nice. Decent heated pool, chairs overlooking the water etc. The people were friendly, service was excellent. The free continental breakfast was a nice touch.

We stayed in one of the motel rooms away from the main house. It was clean, beds were comfortable and it was quiet. I brought my kids but similar to what another reviewer mentioned, we didn't see other children.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank pmoran6
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 January 2010

Stayed in October- Columbus Day weekend which was crazy busy in Ogunquit. I was part of a small group traveling to see Fall Foliage. We had to find our room in the dark which luckily a good map was left for us on the front door... comfortable beds, clean room, bathroom was modern and we found plenty of plug-ins!! In the morning the best part was how close we were to an amazing beach !! And if we had known we probably would have grabbed breakfast too but we were up at the crack of dawn to go photograph! The downside was our room was upstairs and with all our gear it was a drag.. plus the people below probably hated us for all the noise we made trying to get in. Overall I would stay again but request a room on lower level.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends
Bridgeport, CT
Reviewed 22 September 2009

We were in Room 212 in the newly renovated building in the back - the entrance is on Beach Street. The room is brand new, clean and spotless. The location is the best you can get within walking distance to the beach, town, and the Marginal Way. The breakfast is great and served from 7 am to 10:30 am and you can enjoy it outside on the terrace or inside.

The lounge chairs on the terrace are a wonderful way to spend a few peaceful hours each day overlooking the ocean.

We will definitely stay here on our next trip to Ogunquit.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
fla
Reviewed 13 September 2009

My wife and I have spent many great weekends at the Terrace by the Sea. We knew the original owners and were a little worried when it was sold but the new owners are great. Their spring and fall weekend with dinner is the best thing we feel they have and we will recommend Clay Hill Farms as your choise for dinner.

Stayed April 2006, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gfrost
albany, ny
Reviewed 2 September 2009

My husband and I called for reservations for August 28th and 29th. We were told that the only room they had available was a non-ocean view corner king. When I asked whether it was in the main hotel the woman indicated that it was in the newly renovated motel they had purchased. Although we had wanted an ocean view room in their main building, I booked the room based on her "newly renovated" comment--believing that we would at least have a nice room. During the week of our trip, after seeing the weather forecast, I called to see if we could change the date to the 26th and 27th and they were able to make the change. When we arrived on the 26th, we asked if they had any ocean view rooms available since we had changed our dates. The woman immediately said "no" so we took our room key and went to our room. The description given to me over the phone was misleading to say the least. The room was in a corner along an alley and the non-ocean view was actually a view of the back of a run-down building a few feet from our windows. The "king" bed we booked was actually a queen bed in front of a king headboard, the room smelled, and the air conditioner was extremely loud. The "renovations" were cheap and not at all like any of the decor in the main building area. After realizing that we would dread coming back to the room if we stayed, we decided to check out--knowing that we would lose payment for both nights. When I went to the desk, the same woman now offered to show us a room that "technically" wasn't ocean view but was available. The room WAS an ocean view room, very nicely and recently redone in the main building. My husband and I both wondered why this room was not offered when we inquired about an ocean view when we checked in. While she was polite and calm, the false advertising about the room we were given and her lies about the availability of an ocean front room when we checked in were frustrating and she obviously was hoping to rent that room to someone else since she already had us locked into the cheap room 216 in the motel. When we decided that we did not want to stay at a hotel that lied to its guests, she indicated that she would refund our money if she was able to re-rent the room.
Over the next two days we noticed some discrepancies in our bank available balance and discovered upon our return home that, on top of the everything else, she charged us for our room AGAIN (we had to prepay in full when we made the reservation) and had to credit us back.
On a side note--we contacted The Lafayette in Wells and stayed in a beautiful ocean front room for two days and had a wonderful time. The Lafayette is classy, the staff is wonderful and they let us see the room before we booked it and there were no deceptions. We won't be going back to The Terrace by the Sea ever again and I recommend seeing the room before making a reservation and know that information provided by the staff may not be accurate.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank mainetraveler08_09
Springfield, MA
Reviewed 27 August 2009

This hotel is located right on the water. The shops are nearby and the view is wonderful. There is a variety of rooms. You can stay in the Inn or in two different motels. The rooms are very clean and the bathrooms are pristine. There is a continental breakfast that has many choices. There are ocean view rooms and regular rooms. The price is an excellent value considering the location, the staff and the cleanliness of the rooms. My husband and I have been going there for 9 years now and we have never had a complaint. We go in April and October every year when Ogunquit is no as crowded. The staff and the owner are extremely friendly and will help you when asked. I highly recommend this hotel and you will be extremely happy!!!!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple