“Proud to be a regular”

Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Upstate New York
“Proud to be a regular”
Reviewed 2 September 2009

My husband and I go to Ogunquit every summer. This summer we went elsewhere and will miss this until next summer when we return. Every year we stay at the Bourne's Ocean Acres Motel. We have been going since well before the addition of the new buildings and the indoor pool. The reasons we return every year is are the service, the spotless rooms, the price, and the ideal location. The Bourne's family has made us feel very welcome at their motel. I require handicapped facilities and they make sure we have our favorite room every year. They really take pride in the way they keep their facility. The grounds and the rooms are always spotless. I love the location. You can walk about a mile to the Foot Bridge Beach or a mile to the center of town. If you are unable to do a lot of walking, the Ogunquit Trolley stops right in front of the motel and there are so many stops that it will take you pretty much anywhere in ogunquit you want to go. You can park your car when you arrive and never have to touch it again until you leave. We have been going to Ogunquit for over 20 years and have stayed in other establishments but our favorite is Bourne's.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
mystic,quebec
Reviewed 21 August 2009

I was traveling with a girlfriend and we were looking for a cheaper alternative to the Colonial Village Resort where I usually stay with my husband. Bourne's Ocean Acres was a good choice but I found myself constantly comparing and decided that in future I will spend the extra money.

We booked a room with two queen beds for two adults and two young children for an mid-week August rate of $150.00 (yikes -it is summer in Ogunquit). We choose this hotel because it had a pool and was in walking distance of the beach.

We arrived at 11h30 and were politely told check in was at 2h30, we asked if we could park and go to the beach, no problem, however they had no rest rooms we could use. Even the indoor pool has no facilities.

We walked to the beach which turned out to be a bit further than we expected and with a small cooler, beach toys and chairs and two kids it was to be our last trip by foot. Unless you have a beach wagon or cart or you bring nothing with you the beach, it is more than 5 minutes as advertised.

I walked back to the motel at 4 to check in and pick up the car to get the others, the room was extremely clean although very ordinary but was at least 90 degrees (the outside temp was about 92). Not only was the AC off but the fridge was off with the door open. I found this strange as they knew we were checking in. The beds were very comfortable although the pillows were a bit thin.

We used the outdoor pool in the late PM and it was o.k. but small for the size of the motel. There was no pool supervision and I'm not sure if we were allowed but we did drink a beer by the pool as did many others.

The next morning we received a phone call at 10h40 telling us to check out. I said we reserved two nights and would be checking out only the next morning. She agreed we had booked two nights but said it was the 16th and 17th while I insisted it was the 17th, 18th. I then said "why didn't you say anything when we checked on on the 17th? and our room wasn't even ready." She tried to blame it on her son who checked us in and said it was on the card at check in. All I had done was sign the card and didn't check the dates. I held my ground and explained that I was sure off what I had booked and that we even had friends checking in that night to join us. Eventually she said that she would move people around and that it was ok, but the whole situation made me very uncomfortable.

The indoor pool was very small and as I mentioned had no facilities. There was morning coffee available in the office. All in all this is a good clean motel and if it suits your budget you at least have a clean room with a good bed and we never heard the road or our neighbors. Some of the things I missed from the Colonial were: the continental breakfast, the view from the pool to the ocean, the size of the outdoor pool, walking distance to a mini convenience store, the cheerful staff.

I doubt I would return to this motel as there are so many others to choose from. It was fine but I will pay more next time and get more.

• Liked — Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Lack of restrooms by the pool
  • Stayed August 2009
2 Thank monicajay
New England
Reviewed 20 April 2009

Well, simply put, this is pretty much your standard Maine coast Rt 1 motel. If you've stayed in one, you've pretty much stayed in them all as they are all remarkably similar. Clean, a little dated and worn, working mini-fridge and A/C, TV. Typical of what you find up and down Rt 1. This motel also has both an outdoor and indoor pool. To me, this motel is a good value becuase their rates are very reasonable and you can walk to Footbridge beach. It's about 5-10 minute walk down the street next to the motel to get to the beach. Very doable walk and it's a nice beach. I could pay more per night for a nicer place but still pay $15/day to park at the beach... or I can spend less, be able to walk to the beach and still have a very clean and reasonable place to lay my head at night. I chose option B. I think we will be returning this summer.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank hezzaah
laconia, nh
Reviewed 8 October 2008

We are regulars at Bourne's Motel. Shirley, Jon and the children are always warm, friendly and accommodating. We don't stay anywhere else. The rooms are large, very clean, and it is a nice walk down to the Footbridge Beach. I would HIGHLY recommend this location if you plan to visit and stay in Ogunquit, Me. It is a wonderful location and you will ALWAYS feel welcome!

• Liked — Friendly owners
  • Disliked — n/a
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Peterborough
Reviewed 1 October 2008

we stayed at Bourne's for 5 nights in Sept. 2008 and found the accomodations excellent. It was all we were looking for in our stay . The room was very clean with housekeeping daily,and seemed to have lots of room with the queen size bed. Had a fridge, iron and the internet worked fine, had no problem with my computer. Nice short walk to the beach (about 5 min.) and we also were able to walk to the downtown area and marginal way . Enjoyed the free coffee every morning and the Good Morning greetings. We have stayed at two other motels in Ogunquit over the years and for the money and service we will go back to Bourne's. The Mores from Peterborough,Ontario

• Liked — Price, room, house keeping
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ottawa
Reviewed 26 June 2008

We went with my extended family to Bourne's earlier this month (June 08). Given the price, I was expecting a very bare bones establishment. Although it is not grand luxury, it surpassed my expectations in terms of amenities and cleanliness. Our rooms were very clean and modern. There was a fridge, a hairdryer and an iron. The personel was pleasant and the facilities were relatively well maintained (although the pool could do with some freshening up). We were also close to the footbridge beach which was convenient. I am leary staying at individual motels (despite the fact that my parents ran a very good one for a decade!) but this place delivers good value. The best word to describe it would be "honest"--you get an honest room for an honest price.

• Liked — Value
  • Disliked — Pools
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
Providence
Reviewed 30 September 2007

Went to Ogunquit last minute in late fall (last day of Sept.) on a Saturday night with my wife and young son. Every other place was sold out, so not much of a choice. This place seemed ok, but I still wondered why it was the only place with a vacancy. Room was clean, beds were ok, indoor pool was fine. The internet they say they have is actually a very weak signal from another nearby hotel (Milestone). It does not work well at all.
Sunday morning my brother who lives nearby picked up my wife and son to go to breakfast. I thought I'd sleep another hour. At 10:30 am on the dot, my phone rang to tell me it was checkout time. I asked for an extra hour to checkout and was given a firm " NO, checkout time is posted, it's 10:30". Well, I was pissed off to say the least. This was a Sunday, in the late Fall. The hotel will be empty tonight. Is it really asking too much for an extra hour to checkout? Anyway...5 minutes after I hung up, there was a knock on the door from the housekeeper rudely reminded me again that I had to get out. I packed all our things in a hurry, made a trip out to the car, where I was met by another older man who asked me if I was "all set with the room". Now I'm boiling mad. I ignored him, packed the rest of my stuff in the car and went to the office. The 1st thing out of this womans mouth was that "I'm late and checkout time is 10:30 and is posted everywhere". (it was exactly 10:46 at this point.). It got worse...... She saw another person coming from the room and wanted to charge for a 4th person. This was my brother who lives nearby and came to take us to dinner and breakfast. Do I really need to explain who visits us ? Anyway.. I paid the bill and got the hell out of there disgusted with the "motel police" tactics. Now I know why this place has vacancy's when others are sold out. I read the same comment in another post above about this place being the only vacancy in town.
As a business person myself, I'll explain. The motel has a 10:30 checkout time that is posted. I can understand the motel holding tight to this policy "in season" when they need the rooms. But this is late fall on a Sunday night. The town is empty. When a customer makes an easy request, that does not cost a dime, isn't it foolish to say "no" and lose a customer as well as all the "bad will" that he will pass along? The "attitude" of the management was obviously passed along to the employees as indicated by my 4 seperate reprimands for not being gone by 10:30. I'm assuming that during the slow season they probably bring in a housekeeper for just a few hours in the morning, and don't want to pay extra to accomodate a late checkout.
Would it have been so terrible to accomodate the customer (me) and clean the room later, or tomorrow? What always amazes me about business's like this with unacceptable behavior is that they spend a lot of money on advertising, internet, upgrades, amenities, etc. And then when they finally land a new customer, they throw it all away for some insignificant issue. They have no idea what it costs to replace a lost customer.
This often happens when management becomes jaded or "burnt out" from the difficulties of business. They begin to view the customer as an adversary, instead of their lifeline. Without customers, the business has no life.

Well... in my opinion the Bourne's Motel is overall a decent place to stay. The office has a large window that overlooks all the rooms. Just be prepared to have your every move eyeballed.

• Stayed September 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank bob1008