“Not a bad experience.”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Yellow Monkey Guest Houses & Motel
Ranked #24 of 26 Ogunquit B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My Partner And I stayed here The beggining of last October. We were a little cautious because of bad reviews we had read. We went there without a reservation and were treated like family. The room we had the first night was very comfortable. It had a large comfortable bed, furnishings and a private patio. The next few nights we stayed in one of the cabins near the beach. (Right next to an old cemetary.) It was small, But clean and comfortable. (and the price was very reasonable.) We would definately stay there again. We had free parking and continental breakfast. (The breakfast was just pastries and fruit and coffee, But there are plenty of great breakfast cafes nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cabins.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
7  Thank mikeNdenver

Reviewed 29 July 2011

The location is great, very central. That's the only good thing about the Yellow Monkey.

The room was extremely small and very dirty. The carpets are old and smell. The bed is uncomfortable. The air conditionning unit is almost as noisy as an airplane. Bathroom is also small with little water pressure in the shower. This place is in dire need of renovations.

It was insulting to have paid what we paid for such an unpleasant experience. Anywhere else (even if a bit further) will always be better than staying even one night at the Yellow Monkey.

Room Tip: The only tip I have to get the best room... is to book somewhere else!
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Louis514
Reviewed 8 January 2011

Great location in the heart of Ogunquit, but that's it. I have to agree with other reviewers. One wrote: "Typical gay owners screwing the gay community. The owners charge premium rates and the place is dirty and compltely [sic] run down." Yup, pretty accurate.

If you've been to Ogunquit before, then you already probably know better than to stay at the Yellow Monkey. If you are looking to visit and you're gay, go with a gay-friendly (they all are) oceanfront motel or a place like the Anchorage. Depends on your budget.

I am all for promoting gay-owned businesses. But I can't recommend the Yellow Monkey. Ogunquit, however, is great! Enjoy your stay.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled solo
10  Thank copyboyrc
Reviewed 2 August 2010

hi, 2nd time staying in the penthouse 2 room apartment at the Yellow Monkey's main house (yellow house)...it's great! one huge bedroom with cable sm tv,ac,large bed and the other joining room containing a pullout full size double daybed,20in tv,ac,full kitchen with stove,fridge,dishes,pots,coffee maker, dinning room table and 4 chairs...it's like home away from home and dirt cheap!...hey it's not the shangriladida...but it's clean and walking distance to all and you even have access to use use the jacuzzi

Super nice hosts also...Thanx for a great stay guys!

P.S the yellow Monkey is really more for gay men...some of the cottages near the cemetery could be for gay women or even str8 couples as they are a bit more on there own...ask first before booking...having a huge surprise or being offended by men cruising around is not for the light of heart...hehe ;)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with friends
3  Thank Montreal_CanadaSteve
Reviewed 27 May 2010

We didn't bother making reservations in town since we were there during the off season, but this inn has a nice street appeal and was VERY centrally located to everything you want to do while in Ogunquit. Owner was a very sweet, kindly man, but so old and forgetful he kept repeating himself and asking the same questions over and over. They don't seem to have a computer system. When checking what rooms were available, he brought out these huge placards that had the room names all hand written in with the names of reservations. I haven't seen a system like that since the 70's. We stayed in the stone house suite. Really, the room was not all that bad: had a large king sized bed, fireplace, small kitchen area, etc.... But for some reason, it felt dirty. Couldn't put my finger on it, but just felt dingy, tired and old. Bed was fine tho. Flat screen TV was nice, but limited cable service. The AC unit couldn't keep the place cool even in May when we were there, so I pity someone staying there during a hot day in August or July. Funny, but the ceiling fan was over the kitchen and not the bed, so was sweating so much I had to take my shirt off. Railings outside were peeling, stone steps were risky to climb, cushions on outdoor furniture looked like they had not been cleaned in years. Enough said I guess. I don't like to leave bad reviews as you can see from the many I've written, but this was one of the saddest places I have stayed at in quite some time.

• Stayed: May 2010, travelled as a couple
8  Thank rgehring
Reviewed 24 August 2009

Where do I begin? How about with the strongest Lysol smell in the world. Everything in the room smelled of this God aweful smell. The bathroom was a joke. Two towels, that appeared to have been stolen from a Holiday Inn 25 years ago. Holding them up, you could almost see through the fabric, oh and less I forget the stains on them.....real nice. Then there's the shower / tub. I've never seen grout this nasty before.....how?......why?....... If the house was built in the 1800's, I believe our mattress and pillows were also from the same era. The sheets, just as skeezy. It is for this reason, I have always rejected staying in a B&B or "cozy" inn. Crazy me, I thought I've give it one more chance. Thanks to the Yellow Monkey, that will never happen again. Not only would I not recommend it to a friend, I wouldn't even recommend it toa person I didn't consider a friend.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
6  Thank cjc64
Reviewed 20 August 2009

My sister and I loved our stay at the Yellow Monkey. Great room with a private deck, comfortable bed and very clean bathroom!!!.
By the end of our stay my sister turned to me and said that this was the best mental vacation one could ask for. The guests and staff were like extended family. As for me the token gay brother, I would bring all 3 of my sisters, my mom and even my dad top The Yellow Monkey. It is Maine, the way life should be.

Relaxing, always fun and with some wink wink.

THANKS YM CREW from rm. D