“Friendly, Comfortable, Convenient and Gay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Yellow Monkey Guest Houses & Motel
Ranked #24 of 26 Ogunquit B&B and Inns
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Most guests are gay men, though a few lesbians and straight parties receive a cordial welcome. Peter, the owner-operator, has stocked the 5 adjacent houses--their bedrooms and their lobbies--with antiques that make a B&B feel much like home.. Most of the rooms have small refrigerators, TV, AC, and a compact, well-designed private bath. The included breakfast is a serve-yourself choice of pastries, toast, bagels, cereal, yogurt, peanut butter, jelly, apples, coffee and tea in a pleasant kitchen-dining area opening to a delightful outdoor patio where guests gather for meals and socializing. Late afternoon usually draws guests to hot tub, porches, barbecue area or clothes-optional rooftop sun deck. Access to the gay clubs (The Front Porch piano bar or Maine Street disco) is 1.5 blocks past delightful shops and cinema. The ocean beach is another beautiful 3-block walk past picturesque historic buildings and the Ogunquit River, although many people stop en route after the first 2 blocks to bathe and sun at the Ogunquit River beach. A gay beach section lies another quarter mile north (left) along the ocean beach.

Room Tip: I've stayed in most of them over about 6 years and enjoyed them all.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Donald M

Reviewed 14 December 2012

I've never written a hotel review before, but I feel I should about this place. I stayed here a few years ago in July (cannot choose a previous year below for some reason) and had high hopes. My room smelled of mildew and it turns out (most) of the culprit was the air conditioner (the filter looked like it hadn't been cleaned in 3 or 4 years). This made me wonder about overall cleanliness... The overall room was dingy, there were kids running around constantly, incessant cruising, and I was overcharged. The owners seemed nice and the location is fantastic, but other than this, I wouldn't stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed 8 September 2012

Had my first ever trip up to Ogunquit over Labor Day weekend on the invitation of someone I had recently started seeing. When he told me we were staying at the Yellow Monkey and I saw the past reviews, I admit I cringed a bit. However, I'm well aware that reviews are often more of a reflection of the person writing them than they are of the actual place. So, in shorthand, if you are a stuffy snob, stay away as you won't like the place -- instead find something plastic and pretty that won't offend your delicate sensibilities. If you don't mind a few rough edges but want a great stay, then I highly recommend the place.

First, let's talk location. You can't get much better since this borders the downtown area and is only blocks from shops, restaurants and clubs. As one person described it, "easy stagger distance" if you are the type to go out and whoop it up. Park the car -- there are plenty of spaces -- and just enjoy the town. You're a five minute walk to the beach, another 10 minutes to the gay section. (Why are gay sections always so removed from mainstream area? Make the straights do the hiking!)

I saw a lot of dings in the reviews about the condition of the property. Yes, there are some things that need updating, but I'm very forgiving about that in this economy. Vacations are often the first things slashed in people's budgets during bad times, and hotels in particular have to make due with less income at a time when the costs of everything rises. Even so, regular guests there remarked on several nice improvements that had been made to the property, including a new and very nice breakfast area and new decks and stairways. Even a clothing optional deck for those who dislike tan lines. Frisky would be a good description though friendly and relaxed is better. WiFi access was a bit sketchy -- not just at the hotel but all over town -- but isn't unplugging the whole idea of a vacation? Besides, it forces you to interact with living breathing people instead of staring at a little plastic screen and trying to convince yourself you are "liked."

As far as the rooms go, there is a distinction between "worn" and "dirty." While some aspects of the room were a little well used, what we ended up with was a room that was very clean, comfortable and decently appointed. The bed was quite comfortable, the flat screen TV worked fine, and the air conditioner worked great (perfect for cuddling!). Our philosophy is that we don't want to spend a boatload on a room -- if your goal for vacation is to stay in your room and watch TV, stay home. We would much rather save money on the room and spend it on fun vacation stuff, liking great dining experiences.

So, if you have your nose in the air to begin with the place won't make any improvement in your sour attitude. If you appreciate great location, a welcoming and friendly owner and staff and you don't mind a little "character" where you stay, give it a try.

Room Tip: Ask for the Stone House -- the upper balcony offers a nice view of both the street activity and a sm...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
9  Thank RoamingStud
Reviewed 20 August 2012

I just returned from a vacation at the Yellow Monkey after not having been there for the last four years. I was somewhat apprehensive due to some of the negative reviews that I had read on this site. However, I had positive experiences in the past and wanted to find out for myself what the conditions were. I was very pleasantly surprised! First - note that the "brown house" down at the corner of Hoyt's Lane is no longer a part of the Yellow Monkey. It has been sold. So the number of guest houses has been reduced to something more manageable. The proprietor is running the place on his own as his partner has retired. There are still plenty of hired hands to set up and clean the rooms, with fresh towels every day, trash emptied and beds re-made by staff daily. I noted a LOT of positive changes. The most impressive was a brand new breakfast kitchen, now in a separate building, where the old gym had been. It is now a beautifully appointed, bright and airy breakfast gathering place. There is both indoor and outdoor seating (all new) and a nice continental breakfast provided. Each morning there is fresh coffee, yogurt, cereal, english muffins, and danish, jelly, butter, peanut butter, and milk, orange and cranberry juices. We did not have to go elsewhere once for breakfast on this trip. The new breakfast room is beautifully set up with a sink, dishwasher, nice place settings, dishes, glasses, coffee mugs - and Yellow Monkey staff attend to it throughout the morning, which goes until noon! There is also a flat screen TV for those who want to channel surf while at breakfast. Kudos on this very welcomed change!! It is a far cry from the crowded kitchen of the past. The workout room has been moved to the previous office of the masseur. The massage office has been moved to another building. The workout room has two exercise bicycles, a treadmill, and hand weights. The old, broken "all-in-one" gym has been tossed. Many of the decking areas around the Yellow Monkey have been repaired and/or replaced. New walkways make connecting with local sidewalks easier than in the past. The "clothing optional" jacuzzi and rooftop sun deck are still nice - and the sun deck had new furnishings. Also, my favorite "Hideaway Room" that I booked featured a very comfortable bed, new chair cushions on the private deck, relatively new draperies and bedding - all beautifully coordinated. And there was a new flat screen television, as well. I was happy to find so many positive changes. I felt very much at home. Once again we met some other very nice guests along the way and are adding them to our list of "friends". That's what I love about this place! It is homey, welcoming, and fun - not to mention being very convenient to the beach, restaurants, shopping, movie house, clubs, and the playhouse. All in all, it was a very positive experience and I hope that the proprietors hold onto it longer. It is still a great place. While gay clientele will find this very welcoming, so will straight couples who do not mind hanging around with gay people. I would not recommend for families with children.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
6  Thank LongIslander3
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I've travelled alot and have stayed at alot of Gay Guest House's. Alot of resorts and campgrounds as well. The Yellow Monkey is typical of a Maine style Gay Men's Guest House. I've stopped on a whim a few times to Ogunquit. I have stayed at other Guest house as well. Some I found stuffy and I had to sign my life away on regulations ect. The people mixed.... At the Yellow Monkey I stop in and ask, the host are extremely friendly, no hurry at all. (Maniner's) I was given a choice, What I felt was a very resonable rate for in season and the key to my choice. Threw my bags in the room and headed out on a short walk to a cool beach..(Go North on the beach to gay side) Took a shower which was fine for a Guest House "I wasn't afraid of anything" Like I read here. Alot of choice's close by for Dinner. Got back and sat in a fun hot tub with wicked friendly men. Went back to my fine shower, towels were fine and my room was homey and comfortable. I got semi dressed and went up on the deck to have a couple of drinks and see the sunset. Everone was friendly, happy and no one was complaining at all. Headed out for the nightlife in town which is close by also. Cleaing lady was funny in the morning and a welcome to my day. Next day I decided to stay another night ! Repeat of the day before but I got to the beach earlier <:) Left the next day and vowed to come with friends and again stay at "The Yellow Monkey" Thanks Guys I thought your place was fine !

Room Tip: Just ask them, they will tell you what's available (I like the out buildings)
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
6  Thank KenriL7
Reviewed 1 September 2011

If only we had checked Trip Advisor first...

Now, I always a horror movie but NOT on vacation. The worst B&B experience of my lifetime. The warnings should be heeded. We were especially taken with the mold on the shower curtain liner...it was becoming "the blob".

Room Tip: Sleep on one of the stone walls with pointy rocks
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
20  Thank k m
Reviewed 17 August 2011

My Partner And I stayed here The beggining of last October. We were a little cautious because of bad reviews we had read. We went there without a reservation and were treated like family. The room we had the first night was very comfortable. It had a large comfortable bed, furnishings and a private patio. The next few nights we stayed in one of the cabins near the beach. (Right next to an old cemetary.) It was small, But clean and comfortable. (and the price was very reasonable.) We would definately stay there again. We had free parking and continental breakfast. (The breakfast was just pastries and fruit and coffee, But there are plenty of great breakfast cafes nearby.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the cabins.
  • Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple