“great view of ocean”
Review of Norseman Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Ogunquit
Norseman Resort
Ranked #19 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
St Louis
“great view of ocean”
Reviewed 4 November 2009

Hotel room good and really enjoyed being right on the ocean.
Only negative was too much light coming in room from entry door window. Need better darkening shade/curtain or ability to turn off front porch light directly in front of room.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
Western Massachusetts
Reviewed 29 October 2009

We had a short visit with 2 overnites, however, it was just what we needed to get some rest and relaxation. Room on second floor had 2 queen beds. Mattresses were okay, but not as firm as I would like.The shower was small, however, very safe: had a grab bar and non-slippery floor suface. The bathroom was good size. Plenty of sample size shampoo, lotion, and facial and body soap. Also a hair dryer in the bathroom. The room was very clean and comfortable. It had a small refrigerator and a coffee maker for 2 cups. In season a choice of restaurants within a short walk from beach or several others within a mile or two. Plenty of stores for unique arts and crafts, jewelry and clothing. THe usual souvenir stuff as well. A mini-vacation, but truly a good one. We would recommend this to anyone who wants to be within steps of the ocean. We had been there before and will hopefully return soon. In season there is a local trolley that picks up at the Norseman and travels to local shopping, restaurants and points of interest..It was not in service when we were there the last week of October.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank BeeRandy
MA
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We just returned from a stay at the Norseman...I called on Friday and was able to get a room for Saturday night.. They did not guarantee a parking space earlier than checkout but we took a chance so that we could have a whole day on the beach...Well, we did get a parking space at the hotel.. We checked in at 10am and was told our room wouldn't be ready for a while....They would call cell phone when ready! Which was OK..since it was a beautiful day and we wanted to relax at the beach...which is only a few steps away from their front door! Call came at 12:30pm room was ready! We were in no hurry to bring our things to the room and miss out on this gorgeous day...Finally, 4pm we went in got the room keys...The room was large with 2 Queen beds ..the bathroom was OK except for the shower stall, very small, but doable!...Our room was overlooking the trolly turn around and ocean view...Each room has 2 lounge chairs on the deck...We loved it ..Just sitting outside watching all the people trucking their stuff to and from the beach. Everything is in walking distance...The staff was friendly and we totally enjoyed ourselves! Definately would stay again..thinking of Labor Day!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CAMAY57
Boston, MA
Reviewed 4 August 2009

Letter I wrote to the manager:
This past Sunday evening, I had the opportunity to stay at your resort for the first time. This will be my twenty-eighth year vacationing in Ogunquit, and it was my first time staying at the Norseman.

I reviewed your website and made a reservation using your on-line system. I was notified the next day that the room I requested was no longer available. I then called your resort to see if anything was available for the night of 8/2. The man on the phone told me of a queen bed room above Huckleberry’s restaurant that was available. He told me the room specs, and I asked if any complaints had been issued regarding this type of room, to which he answered “no.” I pre-paid for the room in full as this is your policy.

When I arrived on Sunday to find a room that was tired and old, I was extremely unhappy. The bedspread and drapes were dirty and at least twenty years in age, and there was bird feces stuck to the sliding door. I went into the old bathroom to find fixtures that were older than my thirty years of age. The shower? It was smaller than the shower stall that I used in my freshman dormitory. As a runner who is physically fit and thin, at five feet two inches and size 4, I felt too large for this miniature shower. My boyfriend exclaimed that he had showered in nicer facilities at campsites, and I have to agree with him. This room was overpriced at a non-refundable $190 a night, and had I stayed longer than one evening, I would have refused to stay in that room. The person on the phone never told me that the bathroom had a small shower stall only, which I feel should have been disclosed.

In addition, we had to pay an extra $9 to park a second car, and were told that we had to remove all cars from the hotel by 11 AM the day of checkout. Although I can understand this, I have never encountered such a strict policy at any other hotel in town, and I have stayed at quite a few. Your ocean view rooms are no excuse to charge someone such an exorbitant price for a room that has not been updated since the 1970’s.

To compare, the Juniper Hill Inn on Main Street had a rate of $199 a night, which includes up to 2 cars per room. Also, they allow guests to leave their cars in their lot on that day of checkout until 5 PM, knowing that their guests want to enjoy their last day in Ogunquit past the checkout time. The Juniper Hill Inn is a resort that has been around for some time yet recently updated all of its rooms with new linens, furniture, and granite bathrooms. I kicked myself for not staying there after witnessing your dirty old rooms.

Also, I tried your “resort” because your photos on-line showed rooms which appeared to be up to date for the most part. I don’t know where these rooms are, because no photos of room that looked like the one I stayed in were published on your site. As a marketing specialist, I can understand why, too. I have stayed at various hotels in town- The Hartwell House, The Anchorage, Gorges Grant, Juniper Hill, The Terrace, and the Grand Hotel. All of them are much better than your “resort” as you call it- and two of these hotels also offer ocean views.

I suggest that you stop using false advertising for these Sail Loft rooms and immediately update them to fit the needs of travelers today. I spend ten weeks a year traveling for work, and I have never, ever in my eight years of spending countless nights in hotels for both work and pleasure witnessed something as disgusting as room 420 at the Norseman.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nichols_kristin
Ogunquithotelier, manager at Norseman Resort, responded to this review, 10 August 2009
Dear Ms. Kristinl:

Thank you for recently staying at the Norseman Resort and taking the time to write regarding your accommodations. I sincerely apologize for your room choice not meeting your expectations. We do have a variety of rooms types available and the prices range from $190-$340 during peak season. Your reservation was made on July 22, 2009 and although we did not have your first choice of a Gangplank room, we did have alternate rooms other than Sailoft available.

We are very clear in describing our Sailoft rooms as small, economy rooms which are best suited for the budget minded traveler who may otherwise be unable to vacation directly on the beach. The rooms are freshly painted, the carpet and the mattresses are new; and the furnishings are clean and comfortable. We are located on the beach and unfortunately, cannot direct the seagulls as to where they defecate. The exterior areas are cleaned daily and I apologize for the seagull dropping on your sliding glass door.

All of our rooms are equipped with shower stalls and it is not unorthodox for many hotels to have showers without tubs in their bathrooms.

Logistically, we are only able to accommodate one vehicle per room on our property. If you were to visit us during a period, when we are not at full capacity, we would be happy to accommodate a second vehicle and allow you to remain parked in our lot after check out time to enjoy a day at the beach.

It is not our intention to misrepresent our Sailoft rooms. Yes, they are small - but they are clean and functional and offer an option to guests who may not otherwise be able to afford a vacation on Ogunquit Beach.

Once again, I apologize for our Sailoft room failing to meet your expectations and hope that you will offer us the opportunity to host your next visit to ogunquit in a room more conducive to your lifestyle.

Norseman Resort

David Scibilia
north andover ma
Reviewed 14 June 2009

will return asap simple, clean ,close to attractions and ocean . a great place to unwind or party.

Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lubec1313
Bangor, Maine
Reviewed 29 May 2009

The weather wasn't the greatest, but the staff and service was excellent. The ocean is so great anytime of year, regardless of the season or temperature. We will definitely return to this location again and again! Thanks to everyone at the Norseman and the quaint little diner - "Huckleberry's". Great home cooked food at a good price.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
3 Thank CandCDad
Upstate, NY
Reviewed 23 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here and were very happy!
We got a 3rd floor room and the deck looked directly out on the amazing Atlantic Ocean!
The staff was super nice as well. No pool and parking is a little tight. but overall a great place.
There is lots of fun little shops and GREAT places to eat(Lobster pound, Amore)
Avoid the hotel restrauant..there are MANY better choices.
Also try the trolley-it stops just steps from this hotel and goes all the way down to the Marginal way

Maine....Nothing better!