“Love the Betty Doon!”
Review of Betty Doon Hotel

Betty Doon Hotel
Ranked #34 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Reviewed 21 September 2009

This place is great for a inexpensive place to stay while in Maine. The room was clean and that was the thing I was wanting the most. I figured the room/bathroom would be small (of course it is going to be for $59 a night). Yes, like the other reviews, the walls are thin, and you can hear noises but it is a relatively quiet hotel. It is close to everything and very convienient. I was in Maine for a wedding and didn't want to pay $250 a night at other places just to sleep there...so I opted for the Betty Doon and was very happy. A plus side, there were fresh baked blueberry muffins and coffee in the morning which were great. If you aren't a picky traveler that needs alot of amenities, this is a great find.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 August 2009

As a rule we are not high maintenance travelers and don't mind something rustic. The Betty Doon was a little more than rustic. Reading the reviews we thought how bad can it be - well it was bad. The room had hugh water stains on the ceilings, the TV (not that we needed to watch it) was about 6 inches, the bed was lined with 1/2 a rubber mattress pad, the quilt looked and smelled as old as the hotel, the privacy between walls was quite thin and the room door had a piece of paper towel or toilet paper (we weren't sure) filling the old lock, 7:30 am there was still no water for the "complementary" coffee/tea. On the up note the staff was nice, and it was as most have stated - very close to the beach. But so are a few more places one can stay. To the owner of the Betty Doon - shame on you for not taking care of your hotel and putting a little more back into your property. Just a little bit would go a long way -

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
4  Thank funnylady64
Reviewed 10 July 2009

The Betty Doon is definitely in a prime location and it is VERY affordable. I booked for a late May trip on-line in early 2009 and received a rate of $49.00. I was in Ogunquit the week of Memorial Day and right after Memorial Day things traditionally slow down quite a bit. The motel became very quiet. It was extremely charming and rustic but the bathroom - at least in my room - was incredibly small, there was no tub and the shower was a slightly rusty metal box. Unfortunately housekeeping became almost non-existent at this point. I'm very low maintenance and kept my room tidy. The owner was handling the housekeeping on his own and I understood this, however, the bed remained unmade, there was no vacuuming, no bathroom cleaning and almost no fresh towels. The owner made the choice to cut his housekeeping staff during this slow time without regard to his paying customers. Because I did not make a fuss, it seemed I was overlooked. So, I would recommend the Betty Doon for price (especially on the off season), location, and general cuteness BUT I would not recommend it for basic housekeeping, basic bathroom ameneties or attention to detail. Things may be different when a full staff is on board.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled solo
1  Thank OgunquitLover
Reviewed 21 July 2008

The Doon has character, was clean, and is in easy walking distance to the beach, bars and shops. Love the exposed piping, the knotty pine walls and cheesy flowery bedspreads. The shower is a tight fit, the bathroom miniscule, but who cares. There were four of us: my friend and her mother took the master bedroom, and my friend and I took the two single beds in the adjoining room. Overall, loved Room 23! Have stayed in a wide array of establishments in town, ranging from snotty to laid-back, but the Doon pleases and delivers everytime. Will definitely be staying there again the next Fourth of July, as we did this year and the year before.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 April 2008

I had a wondeful time at the Betty Doon, Yes it is of the older model, reminded me of when I was a kid. Yes I could stay at the other Inns and it's life as usual, but I really enjoy going back in time. Very Very nice people that work at the Doon. I will be booking again this year!

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 1 February 2008

The only upside to this hotel was the price. I think I paid $90.00/night and it is in a great location!! The room we had was damp!! The carpets were dirty!!! My daughter at the time could not walk and use to crawl on her knees. After crawling around on the carpet, her knees were dirty!! Our white socks were black after walking around with no shoes on. We were unfortunate enough to have a room under the gift shop. We heard every person that walked into the gift shop until they closed. My suggestion is if you have children the that still take naps and go bed way before the gift shop closes, request a room away from the gift shop!!!!

• Stayed: August 2005, travelled with family
1  Thank SuzanneBLS
Reviewed 11 August 2006

My wife booked reservations indicating that we required two seperate beds as were a party of three. Upon arrival for a 3 night stay, our room only had one bed. We were informed that no other rooms were available. We had booked our reservation in June for August. Since no vacancy signs were posted all over the area, we ended up staying in Kittery.

The lady that took our original reservation was at the desk and it was obvious that this person appeared over-whelmed in her responsibilities. As a result of this experience, we would avoid Betty Doon.

Roger