“Better than I expected”

Ranked #36 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
BOSTON, MA
“Better than I expected”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2013

We booked 2 nights as a very last minute stay. We picked the hotel based on price and proximity to beach & downtown. I read reviews after we booked and was nervous we made a mistake, but I have to say, I found the negative reviews misleading.
We got a newly renovated 2 bedroom (queen) with a microwave, fridge, and flat screen tv. The room was clean and enough space for (4) 2 adults, 1 baby and 6 year old. The grounds were clean as was the lobby / breakfast area.
The pool was large, but could use some maintance. I think they would benefit by adding additional shade / umbrellas and lounge chairs. The water was chilly, but clean.
The continental breakfast was a limited, but the donuts were very fresh and yummy.
All and all, I was pleasantly pleased. I would suggest for those on a budget.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Montreal
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 August 2013

Our family has been coming here on and off for 40 years. I had not been in 20 years and decided to give it a try with my wife, son and his girlfriend. First the good: the beach access across the river at low tide to the nicest part of the Ogunquit beach is certainly the main draw. So are the row boats that are fun. The state of the greenery is well maintained, except around the tennis court which is overgrown with weeds around the perimeter; come on guys and gals! It would only take a couple of hours to make it look fresh! Now the not so good....the pool fence, gate, etc. looks like it was built and painted by the lowest-level amateur on the planet! And covering the perimeter of the pool wall with a green plastic netting looks.....AWFUL! Breakfast....donuts and little cereal boxes. Enough said. Motel decor? Circa 1980's or earlier but at least ours was kept clean. The bathroom door handles and fridge are definitely 1960's. BBQ's? A nice touch if someone would clean the grills or replace the one with the rusted out holes in the bottom. When I asked for a steel brush for the grill, the reaction I got was a somewhat blank 'what's that?' stare. I even offered to buy one until my wife broughtt me back to my senses. Then an employee came along later with a plastic bristle floor brush and did her best to spread the ash around....too funny! Did we still have fun? Absolutely, but it's sad that the place has dropped so far in class. The original owners would be sad as well. I noticed one review response saying they've recently spent hundreds of thousands of dollars. On what? Probably on the facade of the front office building I'm guessing. Here's a suggestion: $200 to replace a BBQ, $40 for some BBQ brushes, $1000 for some hedge plants to replace that awful green plastic around the pool, $100 for someone to weed the tennis court, a few thousand to rip the sorry rotten fence out around the pool and replace it with a white plastic fence. Until you do little things like that, Colonial Village, I am believing your trying to unload the motel. Last point - if the management had pride in the place,they wouldn't let people hang all their beach towels along the railing. What a sight....

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Ogunquit hotels

Windsor Locks, Connecticut
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2013

We stayed at the Colonial the third week of July and it was not full. We should have taken that as a hint. The room we had was so musty smelling we had to keep our windows open for our entire stay. The linens are so outdated. The shower & toilet area is so small and need to be upgraded. The toilet seat & tub were very worn. The tv was in such a small area with two straight back chairs for a family of four. They advertised wifi but it did not work from our room. The walk to the beach was rather long. The only good thing was the view at high tide. We will won't be back.

Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 July 2013

I have been going to the Colonial for well over 20 years. First with my parents and then as an adult with my own child. I have really seen it decline over the years but this is the first year that I have thought about not going back. It has got so rundown. It is really sad. In its heyday the Colonial was just fabulous and the prices were so good. The pool is so sad. Tiles all chipped, I never saw anyone all week check the water. There were not enough umbrellas. This is a big change from previous years. It was so bad, that people were buying beach umbrellas at the store and sticking them into the middle of the tables just to get some shade. Air conditioner was so loud. Furniture old. It just makes me sad. I have had so many good memories. The competition is too fierce in that area for them to let the property go like that. There were hardly any cars in the lot and it is the 3rd week of July for goodness sake. Come on Colonial get with it. I know you can do it!!!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank ebjrnBoston_MA
Chicago, Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Well...it is away from the throngs of pedestrian shoppers in Ogunquit proper and it is a short trolley or longish walk to the main beach. The bay which is rowboat-able in high tide and easily wadable in low tide is pretty cool. That beach is nice too, maybe nicer than the main Ogunquit beach.

All in all, Colonial is pretty beaten up and not well maintained. Broken door locks, broken toilet, loud wall unit ac, not too clean. "Continental" breakfast was kind of funny, cereal and powdered donuts. Skip the free donut and walk across the road to the excellent Egg and I (me?) restaurant.
Indoor pool was freezing. Outdoor pool was just okay by the 4th of July. Some guests wouldn't go in because of temp but we thought it was passably okay.

However, it has a very funky '50's resort like feel. Don't go with any great expectations and you might enjoy the nice view of the bay. Check the prices it might be a good deal for Ogunquit. The rates will probably start to be negotiable when they start reading their reviews lately.
Go for the coast of Maine, not for the resort.

My 11 year old was really surprised at how the website photos looked so much nicer than reality. "How did they do that?" he asked.

Room Tip: The very end (easternmost) bungalows which have a view of the bay might be worth it.
2 Thank Cyril L
Lexington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Wall AC located in the Bedroom very noisy impossible to sleep.
The sitting area was distal from the AC and was always extremely hot
Blanket was full of holes
Furniture was old and dated
Continental breakfast was sorely lacking with store bought donuts
Coffee was OK
Pool area had only two umbrellas and several beach chairs were broken

Room Tip: Find another Hotel
2 Thank Pat796
Mass
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Staff very helpful. When we got there our cottage was to hot. Only one AC was working. They changed our room over with no problems. My only complaint is that all bedrooms should have ac I got charged for a roll away bed but I couldn't use a bedroom as there was no ac in there during a heat wave.

• Stayed July 2013