“Bed bugs!!!!!!!”

Ranked #36 of 36 Hotels in Ogunquit
Massachusetts
“Bed bugs!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 August 2008

We were to stay for two nights. The first night we found blood stains on the sleeper sofa and could not / would not sleep on it. ... The second night we woke up at 2am with BED BUGS crawling on us. We were all HORRIFIED!!!!! We threw all of our belongings on the top of our car and had to wait until 7am before we could get a hold of any manager. Then, the manager had the audacity to say that we would only be refunded for one night. He also made us wait another hour before he would get someone to look at the room. Our room number was 108 in the suites. I recommend that you do NOT go to this "resort".......

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled with family
4 Thank BEDBUGHELL
daughterofthesea, Assistant Manager at Redwoods Resort formerly Colonial Village Resort, responded to this review, 15 October 2008
We are very sorry for their unfortunate stay at our establishment. Please know that we have never had an incident such as this in my entire employment, which began in 1995. I have literally not seen a bedbug in Maine, or in my life at all. As soon as I got into work the next day I heard of the situation and immediately I made sure that they hadn’t been charged a penny. I was sad to find that I wouldn’t be able to speak with them face to face because I have complete empathy; it must have been horrible. We took immediate action to dispose of the affected materials and to exterminate the problem. Since we ourselves were so horrified, we actually have kept the room totally out of use for the whole rest of the season since their stay, despite the fact that there has been no trace whatsoever. Keeping the room unavailable for rental has lost us quite a bit of money but we would certainly rather lose money than have any of our guests ever have to go through what they went through.

After researching the latest news on the Internet, we know that there have been an increasing number of cases of bedbugs in Mass. and NY and those states are where the greater portion of our clientele come from. There are also articles on the web about having trouble with these little guys in dormitories at colleges lately.

The good news is that bedbugs and bedbug eggs die when they are exposed to cold for too long and those buildings are completely winterized and shut down every year so with no heat, if there is even a lingering egg, it will die. We deep clean all the rooms when we open and when we close, and we will pay even more attention than usual because of this incident.

In conclusion, we are good people who want guests to be happy and comfortable; this is an isolated incident, and we took care of the situation immediately. I wrote the guest a heartfelt letter of apology, and while I don’t expect that they will be back, we would love the chance to show them that we are a clean, hospitable establishment and that staying here is usually very pleasant.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
mystic,quebec
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 August 2008

We stayed at the Colonial Village Resort for three nights from Aug. 12-15th. Myself, my husband, and teen daughter stayed in the Honeymoon suite, room 36. I choose this room because it had an ocean view and a kitchenette.

I had contacted many other hotels so I knew that the rate of $217.00 per night was about average for mid-August in this town.

The room was o.k. for us but I would have been disappointed if it had been my honeymoon. The kitchenette was not very well equipped the furnishings were dated and the carpet had stains on it. The bathroom was in need of a make-over with the grout around the tube stained and yucky. The promised Jacuzzi tube was there but the jets didn't work.

The staff at the CVR were very pleasant and friendly from check in to check out and all of the little questions in between.

Others have commented about the continental breakfast, yes it is limited, coffee, juice, cereal but the best donuts I've ever had. It contributed to the holiday feeling eating donuts for breakfast.

The outdoor pool was chilly even in mid-August but it was huge and had a great view down to the ocean. Lots of chairs outside by the pool. The indoor pool was small but a nicer temperature. We enjoyed using the row boats at high tide to go to the beach. At low tide you can walk through the river to the beach.

All in all this is an older mom and pop style motel not really a resort as the name implies.

I would stay here again because for me the view of the ocean is so very important along with the proximity to the center of town. I'm sure for the money though there are better rooms to be had if you don't need to see the ocean.

If I go back I think I'll skip the kitchenette as we really only used it for one meal in the 3 days we were there, I'd just get a room with a fridge. Had a great meal at Oarweeds at Perkins cove and another great meal at Maxwell's Pub in the center of town. The pub has happy hour beer specials from 4-5 pm.

I think we will skip going there in August because the rates are just to high for the quality of hotels. Early and late season are so much better a deal.

• Stayed August 2008
boston-metrowest
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2008

This will be a long one -so here we go...

We just got back from a stay at the colonial resort from 7/13/08 to
7/18/08.
First what we were looking for:
We have 2 small children ages 2 and 5, so an indoor pool was a must. Location close to Ogunquit beach near the Tidal river was a plus since my children are a little small for the ocean itself but love playing in the tidal pools at low tide. A kitchenette was a plus. I wanted to pay under $200 a night.

We chose the colonial resort for 2 reasons:
1: Other members of my family had rented a 2 bedroom unit for 4 nights the same period we were going. (the major reason we booked)
2: It met all of the requirements above.

I use tripadvisor all the time, and quite honestly if it were not for
reason number 1 above, iIprobably would have booked elsewhere.

-on to the review.

-location-
-very good

It is located between ogunquit center/beach and the footbridge.
In the morning (I get up early-6am) i would make my coffee,put it in a travel mug take a right out of the parking lot and walk to the footbridge(10 minute walk) and had coffee on the beach.

When we went to ogunquit beach during the day-a left out of the parking lot-, we would drop off the kids and all supplies and a few adults, set up on the beach (there is 30 minute free parking) -someone would drive back to the hotel and walk back to save on parking-about a 15 to 20 minute walk to ogunquit beach(near the norseman) from the hotel. It saved
quite a bit of money-parking is $4 an hour in the beach lot, we went to the beach for 5 days and stayed at least 5 hours.

The motel is located on the tidal river. nice view from the grounds, great view from the pool deck. there is a nice dock where we would sit and catch crabs and snails.

(on a side note, I got slaughtered by the no-see-ums-tiny flies also known as sand fleas. they are pretty much little mosquitoes that hurt a lot more but cause much smaller welts. I would bring some bug repellant, although my wife was hardly bit at all.)

-hotel itself-
-good-

first of all, all facilities are old. I dont care what they say about a 2006 renovation. we rented a 2 queen bed unit with stove and fridge (room 19). My other relatives rented a 2 bedroom unit with
stove and fridge.

-the room-
-good-

The stove, fridge,toilet seat,air conditioner (barely worked never told the desk-wasn't a huge problem) tv all buildings, inside and out, including the outdoor pool looked like they were original from the 1980's.-not broken down , just old. the 2 bedromm unit looked the same except the air conditioner
was great.No vcr or dvd players

All furniture in my unit however looked very new. this is what ups the rating from "ok" to good. I looked at the mattress and box spring, they looked brand new. As did the table and chairs, the pullout sofa looked a little older but in excellent condition. the fridge was not a full sized unit but very usable. the stove was from 1970 but actually worked better than my $1000 range at home.

-outdoor pool-
-fantastic-
again, from about 1970-but "huge", fantastic deck, and about the first 15 feet near the stairs was about 2.5-3 feet deep-great for the small kids. They also let you use floats in the pool, which is great, we have been at some hotels that ban such devices.
there are some tables and chairs around the pool and a great view of the river.

-indoor pool-
-good-
-much newer than the outdoor (at least it looked that way), a little small, but good enough for the kids in case of rain-never used it.
there are indoor showers.

-game room-
-ok-
a few video games along with a pool table thrown into a garage, the kids had fun there for an hour or so.

-tennis court-
-bad-
I dont play tennis, but the kids attempted to hit a few balls with the equipment left around. not kept up at all, weeds growing in the court itself, usable, but even to a non player i thought it was a mess.

-wifi-
-ok-
We were right across from the office and could barely get a signal. the best signal was in the office or on the pool deck outside of the office. They should really invest in an outdoor router for a few hundred dollars that will cover the grounds.

-breakfast-
-good-
coffee, cold cereal, juice,milk, and great donuts.
nice touch, exactly what I expected

-cleanliness-
-very good-

The fridge and stove were spotless. the bathroom was clean. The beds and sheets were spotless-like new-. The staff vacuumed the carpet every day (I was on the pool deck across the room so i could see what they were doing before we went to the beach) and mopped the tile floor, I think the sheets were changed every day, I am not sure-but it certainly looked like it.

The pool was checked,cleaned and vacuumed every morning.

-staff-
-very good-
Very nice and polite., very helpful, excellent job cleaning the rooms. My wife left her keys at the hotel, we called, they found them and they mailed them back.

-price paid-
around $180 a night-
pretty good for a efficiency unit with two beds and an indoor.outdoor pool--and i looked at EVERY hotel that met our requirements in ogunquit and wells and priced them all.

In conclusion, great location and outstanding staff made me glad I stayed here. If I wanted to pay between $240 and $350
a night, there are newer hotels in the area that could meet every thing I wanted, but I didn't want to pay that.
For the money, great staff, great location, and pool-I would consider staying here again.

If the management reads this, give your staff a gold star, get an outdoor router,change the toilet seat and air conditioner in room 19,start to modernize the tv units(dvd player?), do something about the tennis court.

but in the end, great vacation and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay.

• Liked — location,pool,staff
  • Disliked — tv,toilet seat (funny but true)
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
3 Thank gjaBoston_metrowest
New York State
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

Last year we stayed here. At first, the room they gave us did not lock. Then they moved us to a cabin that did not have any air conditioning in working condition. When we left, they promised us a "deal" when we returned for our next visit. I booked 4 nights for three adults and three children plus an infant. When we got there, they had put us on the second floor and since my husband is disabled, we had to move to the lower level. After that was taken care of, we went to the room where we were met by two housekeepers who were rude and nasty. The complained bitterly that they had to move the cots. Then they accused us of not telling the desk how many people were in the two bedroom suite. I had an email which confirmed the number of people. The room smelled moldy, the air conditioner worked but very poorly and the room was not clean. We will never stay here again and will tell our friends the same. They charged us $10.00 each for two cots and then $15.00 for each child which brought the room up to almost $250.00 per night! What a "deal". We priced nearby motels and found that we had been way over charged. We complained at the desk when we left, the young man told us that he could not help us but that he would tell the owner. Now it is July 13 and we haven't heard a word from anyone. This trip was ruined for us.

• Liked — pool
  • Disliked — cleanliness and moldy smell
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
2 Thank DewSer

Travellers are raving about these Ogunquit hotels

vermont
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 January 2008

after traveling most of the day what a breath of fresh air. I had worked in the hospitality industry turning an old Days Inn to a Ramada Ltd gold key winner, so you I may be critical, reception was warm and welcoming, room yes a little dated however
very clean, and it was apparent that work was being done. We had a wonderful stay and plan on coming back and bringing the
grandchildren.

Stayed September 2007
Kahunaville
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 September 2007

Stayed here 4 days over Labor Day weekend. After reading mixed reviews on trip advisor, we were a little skeptical about this place. We checked out all the high priced places on the Marginal Way but they were all booked, some since winter.
A family friend mentioned that they came here in July and liked it very much, so we thought we would give it a try.
Arrived on Friday afternoon and check in was very smooth and pleasant. We reserved a room with 2 double beds and a separate sitting area with refrigerator, microwave, table, chairs and tv. When we got to the room we were pleasantly supprised that the room was spotless, and larger than we expected. There was a door between the bedrooms, bathroom, and living area, which was very convenient if someone wanted to get up early and read the paper, while not disturbing others who would want to sleep in.
The room looked like it was recently refurbished in the last few years with newer carpeting, and it was very clean, which was great!
I know a few friends who have stayed in hotels on the water in Ogunquit, and they said that their room was musty, which can be common when by the water. I have allergys to dust and mold, and was glad that this was not the case here!
We woke up the next morning and went out to find the continental breakfast. I had read on trip advisor that someone complained about just cheap doughnuts and coffee. Well, my expectations were a box of hostess doughnuts sitting in a box, but to my surprise they had a large supply of the worlds fameous Congdon's doughnuts, from up the road in Well's.
That was great because I heard a lot about them and now I wouldn't have to make a special trip there. The jelly doughnuts must weigh about 1lb each! Over the weekend I had a blueberry, raspberry, apple, chocolate cake, chocolate frosting, and honey dipped doughnuts.
They were excellent! They also had cereal, milk coffee and orange juice. You could eat in their little breakfast room,
or out by the pool. We had a nice conversation with one of the owners, and he told us of the nice winter vacations that he often takes in Cancun!
The hotel had a large outdoor pool which was great for swimming laps, an outdoor jacuzzi, and an indoor pool and jacuzzi which looked nice but we didn't use because the weather was sunny. The hotel is on the ocean side of Rt.1 so you have a view of the Ogunquit river and the ocean beyond. They have row boats that you can use to go across the river at high tide to the beach, or at low tide you can just walk across the tidal plain.
We brought bicycles and it worked out great as we didn't have to worry about traffic or parking. It was 5 min. to Ogunquit beach and about the same to downtown. There was also a trolly that goes by frequently til 11pm.
When we went to check out on Monday morning at 11am it was another great day. The front desk person said that if we wanted to come back after the beach to get cleaned up for the ride home we could use the showers by the indoor pool/jacuzzi room to shower and change. That was a nice gesture, and it allowed us to stay on the beach to enjoy the full day, and hang out by the pool until the traffic thinned out later that evening fot the 3 hr. ride home.
All in all it was a great stay! If you are looking for a quiet, peaceful location with friendly courteous staff, and an affordable price, this is the place!

• Liked — Quiet, clean
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled with friends
1 Thank thebigkahuna
Maine
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2007

Very disappointed. Stayed here with my sister and family. We rented a 2 bedroom suite. The rug smelled, the bathroom drain was plugged (we had to hold it down with our foot while showering), the stove was sticky with cooking grease, there was popcorn in the pull out couch, dust everywhere and looked as though the rooms had not been cleaned before the last guests left. The toilet seat was broken and the alarm clock did not work. There were no amenities such as shampoo or even a TV guide listing. The so called "complimentary" breakfast was boxed donuts, coffee and cereal. There was even a sign over the kitchen sink telling guests to wash their own dishes or pay an additional $12 fee. The nerve!! When we arrived in the afternoon it was 95 degrees outside. No one turned on the air conditioner and the rooms were stifling. The outside hot tub had no lighting and had every little child guest in it. By the 3rd day we were there the tub was green and sandy. I would definately say this hotel is not my definition of a "resort'. One would expect much more for the cost of $277 dollars a night not including tax!!

• Liked — the pool
  • Disliked — the accomodations
  • Stayed August 2007, travelled with family